The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

UH-72A Lakota

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

UH-72A Lakota

Post by John Young »

Time to reveal my current project - the American Eurocopter UH-72 Lakota. It was suggested by Brent as a subject that’s been overlooked, but would provide an interesting component of a new US Army helicopter project he is working on.

The aircraft is a militarized version of the Eurocopter EC145 twin engine helicopter. It was selected as the winner of the United States Army's Light Utility Helicopter program in June 2006 with a production requirement of 345 aircraft to replace ageing UH-1H/V and OH-58A/C helicopters in the US Army and Army National Guard units. 5 aircraft are also in use by the United States Naval Test Pilots School for crew training, designated as H-72 Lakota’s. 6 aircraft are used by the Royal Thai Army with a further 9 on order.

I’m treating the project as an aircraft only package, much like the Black Hawk, so that other designers can hopefully incorporate it into their own future projects like Brent.

At the moment, the 5 configurations I have produced all have the same external equipment, but this will change after the LODs have been produced. The aircraft in the screen shots are all FS9 models, but I will be producing FSX versions as well:

This is the regular drab painted example:

A variation on this is the Army Air Ambulance with 2 stretchers in the back:

Two interesting paint schemes are on the 2 and 3-tone camo “Aggressor” examples:

The 5th example is the USNTPS H-72, 5 of which are based at Patuxant River:

I don’t know yet if Hartwig would like to incorporate them as an update to his Pax River package, but I hope he will.

In addition to the clam-shell doors animation, all the aircraft feature hover-taxi combined with a vertical lift on the runway:

I’m also intending to provide a generic EC145 model and paint kits for this and all the military examples in the package. Next job though is to make the LODs, configure the different models with the right external equipment, duplicate the aircraft up and make the FSX versions.

In the meantime, I’m sure Brent will reveal more about what he’s doing with the aircraft in his US Army Rotary Wing Aviation topic.

John
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel
Version: FS9

Re: UH-72A Lakota

Post by TheFoufure »

Great !!!!!!

Can we expect a civil version for French Securité Civile and French Gendarmerie ?

Thanks a lot for your great work john.

(I always hope for the Agusta A-109 ;-) )
hermit

Post by hermit »

:D
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

TheFoufure wrote: 06 May 2017, 08:03
Can we expect a civil version for French Securité Civile and French Gendarmerie ?

I can do the model and paints for the French Securité Civile and French Gendarmerie EC145 examples if you would care to provide the AFCADS and flight plans for them as a separate package. I don't know how many aircraft are involved, but I would imagine that the aircraft are well dispersed, so there could be a lot of AFCADs required.

John
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel

Post by TheFoufure »

Main operating base for Securite Civile is Nimes Garon. But lot of heli are all around France. I'll have a look on my Scramble book to see where there are based. (I've all serials for Securite Civile and Gendramerie).

I'll look at this tomorrow and send it to you (The Securité Civile is a little different. the nose of the heli is différent).
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Joseph29 »

Wow they look pretty cool!!
Makadocias
Captain
Captain

Post by Makadocias »

Awesome!!!
Tranquil
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by Tranquil »

Fantastic John, if a civil version appears i would gladly cover UK Emergency services! :)

Much thanks

Mark
Image Image
The spice extends life. The spice expands consciousness. The spice is vital to space travel.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

The floodgates on helicopter models may be about to open!
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I'll send you the civil model when done Mark and you can apply your paint magic.

Yes you could be right Mike. With hover-taxi now cracked, it opens up a few possibilities. I've also just applied the xml technique that Sean and Kevin worked up to spin the rotors 10 minutes before departure, thus preventing the spin and the hover-taxi lift at the same time. It works a treat in FS9, but the spin has to remain with the lift in FSX unfortunately because there is no Nav light timing trigger in that sim version.

John
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

John, do you know if the nav light trigger has reappeared in P3D?
Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I don't know Martin since I don't have P3D. For those that do, the simple check is: do the Nav lights come on 15 minutes before departure or at departure. Perhaps someone could tell us.

John
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

I will check, John.
Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Tranquil »

John Young wrote: 06 May 2017, 16:40 I'll send you the civil model when done Mark and you can apply your paint magic.
Super John, thank you! really looking forward to it like all your models!

Much thanks

Mark
Image Image
The spice extends life. The spice expands consciousness. The spice is vital to space travel.
Dave Waffler
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by Dave Waffler »

Sweet!!!!
proximo
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by proximo »

Great job!!!!!
miljan
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by miljan »

Thank you John ,
Since Serbia has ordered nine EC145M I am thinking will it ever be made and then bammm , here you go.
How challenging will it be to make fenestron version as well?
VIVA LA VIDA
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I think I can make the fenestron tail Miljan, because deleting the outer fins and the Hstab will create space on the texture sheet for it. However the Serbian EC145Ms have only just been ordered and I assume won't be delivered for some time yet.

It might be better to pick another user with the EC145 T-2 in service now and use the paint kit to create the Serbian examples later. Does anyone have a suggestion for an in-service T2 example that is likely to have a good take up with MAIW users generally please?

John
Reggie
Captain
Captain

Post by Reggie »

Hi John,
You're very busy and about to make AI history, but I was wondering if someone was working on the 206 Jetranger? I'm not making a request, just seeing if that is on the board somewhere. Several of us would like to see NAS Whiting South come alive at some point now that "skids" can work.

I was a beta tester for you on the H-60. If you need a beta tester on some of the new stuff, I'd be glad to help out.

Regards,
Reggie
miljan
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by miljan »

I absolutely agree John.
So far we have Germany with H145M and Thailand H145T2 , both are having fenestron.

Cheers
VIVA LA VIDA