The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

A-10 Thunderbolt II

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
btaylo24
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: P3D

Re: A-10 Thunderbolt II

Post by btaylo24 »

There is a nicer way to express opinion, you are just rude.
Barry
COA732
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Post by COA732 »

andypoppens wrote: 10 Oct 2017, 03:47 Everyone here hates me Greg John and Brent
Calm down, nobody hates you. Just take it easy on the post and be a little more polite
Jamie
fltaccent
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by fltaccent »

This is not a playground for children. Keep your manners.
andypoppens
Captain
Captain

Post by andypoppens »

It’s time to tell the truth Brent John Greg Jamie everyone I have autism
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I understand your problems Andy and why you find life and social interaction difficult. However, that doesn't detract from the fact that it is really annoying to get up before dawn this morning to do some designing, only to find a page full of dissent like this. If it had been anyone else, I would be pressing for a ban right now. You have got to try and realise the consequences of what you are criticising and demanding. Freeware designers will only work in a constructive atmosphere and you run a very great risk of forcing them to stop.

The sceneries you are criticising are the original sceneries from the Great Lakes package. The only thing I have done to them is make and add the shelters. I have designed some of the most detailed custom military sceneries in the world. I switched to AI aircraft a few years back, because they can take up to 2 years and 2000-3000 hours to make. It becomes too much of a slog, when at the end of it, 99.7% of users just grab the download without saying a word. It's like designing into a black hole.

Designing scenery with third-party libraries is quicker, but I'm already endeavouring to meet the needs of FS9, FSX and P3Dv4 users with each AI aircraft I build without driving me mad. Completely re-building every scenery in every existing MAIW package to accommodate them across the 3 sim types would add several months to each project and is a bridge too far for me. Brent has done some great work with some of the sceneries, but he has already told you about the time penalty. He also has a job and domestic life to hold down too.

Nobody hates you, but please, please try and think through the consequences of your actions, or you won't be getting anything.

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Right, lets see if we can nip this in the bud.

Andy.
John has NOT created nor supplied sceneries.
He has supplied shelters to use with the afcad ORIGINALLY supplied with the old GLANG 1 package. Nothing more. It is a quick enhancement, nothing more, rather than have them parked out in the open on a basic afcad.

I think I can speak for everybody here when I say that we would all like improved scenery for everywhere, however this is not possible. Even if we were an organisation that paid people for their work, Brent could not be tasked full time to provide entire sceneries for everything. He couldn't even manage to provide enough sceneries for what you want.

Now on to your last response.
You have the same rights as everybody else here to have and express opinions. Nobody will deny that.
What you have to do is tailor your replies or feedback to the sensitivities of others. You cannot just say what comes into your mind. That will not achieve anything positive.
As we have spoken before if you step outside the boundaries of what others see as acceptable then people will ignore anything you say. Notice there that I speak of other peoples boundaries. It doesn't matter whether you THINK that you are not offending somebody. It matters only if the other person IS or IS NOT offended.

For instance I have been called upon by designers and painters over the years for my thoughts on stages of various projects before people get to see them on this forum.
Sometimes things are inaccurate. Designers and painters are normal people who don't like having flaws pointed out in their work.
They come to me because they know that if I find flaws in their creations that I will always present them in the best possible way so that no offence is taken and they are more inclined to improve their work.

It boils down to a the way you portray your thoughts. As a guide I will always say something positive and if I can't I will not be as blunt or forceful as I could be.

Now, we have communicated privately before but now a wider slice of the membership is starting to get get frustrated here. So I have to make this communication open so that they can see that the staff are taking this seriously and will not allow members efforts to be derided.
If there was somebody here who was thinking about starting to produce something for the community they could well be put off if they think that their efforts will not be well received. If that was the case then we would all lose out. Here we foster talent and enthusiasm for creation. We will not stifle it.

Finally, I would like to say that with this post I am treating you like an adult, by that I mean that I am being open and giving you a chance to adapt some aspects of your comms. In the past we have have had some staff members who would have banned you by now without warning.
You have an opportunity here. You have had some feedback and you can choose to take it on board and adapt so that you are a welcomed member of the community or you can continue on and alienate the very people you want to improve your hobby.

It is up to you.
Steve
andypoppens
Captain
Captain

Post by andypoppens »

Okay I’ll change the way I talk here
andypoppens
Captain
Captain

Post by andypoppens »

I assumed the Fort Wayne scenery was going to have everything covered including the terminals etc
Alan Robertson
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Alan Robertson »

Sorted out.
Found some Selfridge BGLs in a forgotten Directory called MichMilV4, now deactivated.

Thanks, Giorgio

Hi Giorgio. I'm experiencing the same problem but can't track down the offending files that are conflicting. Don't suppose you can remember what they were called by any chance? Thanks in advance.
Regards,

Alan
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

Alan Robertson wrote: 10 Oct 2017, 19:43 Sorted out.
Found some Selfridge BGLs in a forgotten Directory called MichMilV4, now deactivated.

Thanks, Giorgio

Hi Giorgio. I'm experiencing the same problem but can't track down the offending files that are conflicting. Don't suppose you can remember what they were called by any chance? Thanks in advance.
These files are in the directory Addon Scenery\MichMilV4
SELFRIDGESELFRIDGE_AFD.bgl
SELFRIDGESELFRIDGE.bgl
SelfridgeILS.BGL
selfridge_9.bgl
SELF_EX1.bgl
MAIW_AF2_KMTC_CUSTOM.bgl

Hope this help.

Giorgio
Alan Robertson
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Alan Robertson »

These files are in the directory Addon Scenery\MichMilV4
SELFRIDGESELFRIDGE_AFD.bgl
SELFRIDGESELFRIDGE.bgl
SelfridgeILS.BGL
selfridge_9.bgl
SELF_EX1.bgl
MAIW_AF2_KMTC_CUSTOM.bgl

Hope this help.

Giorgio

Found all of those files (albeit in a different directory to your own), removed them and that's fixed the problem. However, it's created another in its place in that there are now autogen trees appearing on the hard-standing amongst all of the A-10s (sigh :( ).
Regards,

Alan
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

I had the same problem with the trees, resolved disabling the scenery (MichMilV4) from the list.
May be there is something else to be deleted in your directory.
I opted to delete the scenery because I remember it is something of very very old, and I have no interest in other BGLs comprised in that pack.

Did you install correctly the Great Lake package indicated in the readme?
In that package, there are some excluding BGLs that can cure the problem.

Regards, Giorgio
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

For people using P3D, how are you handling the Osan and Great Lakes updates? Those packages have planes that don't work in P3D. I don't know what to do, should I separate the A-10's and install them that way? Or not install the packs because some of the other planes will not work.
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

Joseph, you asked the same question in this thread. ;)
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

If you don't want FS9 aircraft to show in P3Dv4 without their animated parts, just don't install them - simple.

John
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by petebramley »

What I am doing on my P3Dv4 installs is to only install those aircraft that are FSX/P3D ready and amend the traffic files accordingly. Then when/if those A/C become available I will add them. I know that the conversion process will take a long time but i’m prepared to wait and if there is no suitable scenery I will make do either the default which I can amend to my hearts content or follow the conversion process that was published on this site.
Pete B
Retired and busier than ever !!
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Yes I think it will take a long time Pete.

Users can perhaps start to see now why trying to update other designer's FS9 packages for 3 sim versions is not always straightforward and not particularly interesting for me. It's even more complex and time consuming when optional files are included for other third party sceneries, as is the case with Great Lakes. Even if I can manage to work out what's involved, and that's not always easy, I won't necessarily have the licence to change what needs changing. Contemplating a whole new build of the scenery for the existing sim version, never mind another two is not really a practical or entertaining option.

I'm happy to stick with producing AI aircraft for 3 sim versions if I can and I'm also more than happy to work with Brent and anyone else for that matter, who wants to produce scenery and needs the aircraft. I think though that I will steer clear of trying to upgrade anymore existing FS9 packages. At one time we had 5 or 6 designers creating each package. It just wasn't sustainable. I'm not going to risk driving myself into that corner working solo, so I'll stick with the modelling that I enjoy best and contribute that way.

John
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

Thanks for another great update pack.

Giorgio
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

John Young wrote: 11 Oct 2017, 16:23 I'm happy to stick with producing AI aircraft for 3 sim versions if I can and I'm also more than happy to work with Brent and anyone else for that matter, who wants to produce scenery and needs the aircraft. I think though that I will steer clear of trying to upgrade anymore existing FS9 packages. At one time we had 5 or 6 designers creating each package. It just wasn't sustainable. I'm not going to risk driving myself into that corner working solo, so I'll stick with the modelling that I enjoy best and contribute that way.

John
Glad this isn't an "I'm done" post solely on the fact of your talent in AI modeling. Beyond impressed with 2 of your models near and dear to me real world (H-60, King Air). I'm always pleasantly surprised to see your next project. The A-10s were completely unexpected, but having just checked out the Osan AB update with Mins paints, very well worth the effort! The only other model I would've loved to see get the JY touch is the C-130. The amount of variants, worldwide proliferation, and can be included in the "retro" category with early models/paints.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

No, no, I'm nowhere near wanting to quit Chris and thanks for your confidence. The advent of P3Dv4 just needs me to rationalise how to contain what I can do into something I can continue to get my head around without getting swamped with 3 sim versions of aircraft, flight plans and revisions to existing scenery. I'd rather do one component (the 3 aircraft versions) well. There's enough talent here for other people to contribute the other components as they wish, without getting back into full scale formal package production. I hope it will also encourage more people to have a go at doing something - a paint, a flight plan an AFCAD - it doesn't matter what.

I'll be sharing what I'm currently doing and what might come after that shortly.

John