The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

A-10 Thunderbolt II

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel
Version: FS9

Re: A-10 Thunderbolt II

Post by TheFoufure »

It will ben fun to have a special effect in some condition. For exemple, when aircraft is descending with an angle of x degres, and between two altitude, a special effect with smoe ath te gun, like gun fire ith GAU-30
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Following on from Ian's lovely screen shots of A-10A Thunderbolts in his upcoming retro Alconbury scenery, it's time to reveal the A-10C models in current liveries as updates to current MAIW packages. The screen shots were taken in my newly acquired P3Dv4, but the models and all paints will be released for FS9 and FSX too:

The A-10C in this shot is lit by the nose light in the aircraft behind it. Especially for Steve, all the "C" models have SLIME lights:

Having now produced the models and base paints for all 3 sim versions, my next step is to paint up the 40 aircraft needed for Ian's RAF Alconbury.

Brent has the 4 models and base textures for the A-10Cs of the 355th Ops Group at Davis Monthan and he will be painting up the aircraft for the 3 component squadrons to update the current MAIW package.

My other paint job is to produce the 20 A-10Cs of the 107th FW at Selfridge AFB base, which is part of the Michigan ANG. These aircraft will update the existing Great Lakes ANG Part 1 package. There are other current A-10 units of course and in the fullness of time and perhaps with the help of others, we can swap out a few more aircraft too. I particularly wanted to do the 107th FS aircraft because they have just acquired this beauty, as was flagged by Gary earlier:

Now for some more painting, lots more painting...............

John
Garysb
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FSX

Post by Garysb »

Very Nice!
I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 -
Joecoastie
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Joecoastie »

Just SUPER, John !
Service to my Country 9/61 - 2/03
US Navy - HS-3, VX-1, HS-7 (USS Intrepid, USS Wasp, USS Yorktown)
Va National Guard - 229th Cbt Avn Co
US Coast Guard - E City CGAS, CGC Morro Bay, RTC Yorktown
NOAA - Co-op Observer 1983 - present
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

I'm more than happy to do the update for the Nellis based A-10C's of the 66th WPS and 422nd TES. Paints and flight plans, I can do those.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thanks Mike. I've put a copy of the A-10 zip in your FTP folder. This includes a paint kit and some notes.

There's no rush to do this. At the moment, I think Brent will produce the first A-10C package update (Davis Monthan) with the new models. I've nearly done the Selfridge (Michigan) ANG aircraft, but it's the scenery that's the problem. The default scenery is just too Spartan. There is a custom scenery available for FS9, but it's so old it's using Novagold textures. It won't load in FSX or P3Dv4. My inclination is to build some new custom scenery more in keeping with the new models and ensure compatibility across all 3 sims. The buildings are quite unusual though, so it will take some time. I'll get all of Ian's Alconbury paints done first and then return to Selfridge a little down stream.

John
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Cool thanks, I'll get them up and running.
-Mike G.

mins
Captain
Captain

Post by mins »

I will also update the Osan based A-10C's 51st Fighter Wing.
Completely new paint with perfect model. ^ ^b..
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thanks Mins. Will you also produce the textures in FSX (Dxt5) format from the 24 bit masters that you will be making in order to get to the FS9 (Dxt3) textures please? Do you also have a means of getting all the files too me (too big to e-mail)? If the answer is yes in both cases, I'll PM you a link to the A-10 files.

John
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

John Young wrote: 23 Aug 2017, 09:24 I think Brent will produce the first A-10C package update (Davis Monthan) with the new models.
That is correct. I did the first six of the 357th last night to make sure I had the layers/ alpha / levels correct. I also have done my usual patch collections, found another intake cover art etc etc.

I am happy to report that I did a test swap with the new models onto the old MAIW flight plans just to stress test with 90 JYAI A-10Cs on the ramp at Davis Monthan... and even though the new model is much more detailed than the old RWAI model, there was no loss of frame rate due to the upgrade. I will be making new flight plans for these to account for changes in aircraft assignment and deployment focuses since the originals were made.
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

I guess it lucky for the painter that the A-10C is only at a few bases. I can think of Whiteman, Osan, Moody, Nellis, Davis-Mothan, Idaho ANG, Maryland ANG, Indiana ANG, and Michigan ANG.
Reggie
Captain
Captain

Post by Reggie »

Are there any left at the TES at Eglin?
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Yes. 85th TES I believe.
-Mike G.

clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

The Eglin based A-10 is with 40th FLTS and has the red probe on it.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Joseph29 wrote: 25 Aug 2017, 00:25 I guess it lucky for the painter that the A-10C is only at a few bases. I can think of Whiteman, Osan, Moody, Nellis, Davis-Mothan, Idaho ANG, Maryland ANG, Indiana ANG, and Michigan ANG.
True but has JY has stated the current ones are not the only ones to be painted. Hence the Alconbury package and the A-10A models.
Steve
mins
Captain
Captain

Post by mins »

John Young wrote: 24 Aug 2017, 08:59 Thanks Mins. Will you also produce the textures in FSX (Dxt5) format from the 24 bit masters that you will be making in order to get to the FS9 (Dxt3) textures please? Do you also have a means of getting all the files too me (too big to e-mail)? If the answer is yes in both cases, I'll PM you a link to the A-10 files.

John
Of course, it will be painted both fs9 & fsx-texture.
And I will send you a big mail.Thank you.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thanks Mins. I have PM'd you a link to the A-10C files.

John
mins
Captain
Captain

Post by mins »

A perfect model is updating the USAF A-10C 25FS 51FW in Osan (KOREA).
Coming soon...
Many Thanks John.^ ^b
Attachments
20170828_143852-vert.jpg
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

The Osan aircraft are looking really good Mins, thank you. I see you have dirtied up the paintwork which adds a nice variation.

Brent has also done a good job of the first of 3 Davis Monthan squadrons and I've just finished the 40 A-10A paints for Ian's RAF Alconbury. The 107th at Selfridge is all done too.

I'm now just working on the DM AFCAD for use in FSX/P3Dv4 to make it compatible.

Frame rates in FS9, FSX and P3Dv4 are all good.

Getting there.......

John
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

I finished the 354th paints last night, they just need their flight plans done. Then on to the 47th.