The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

A-10 Thunderbolt II

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
volador
Captain
Captain
Version: FS9

Re: A-10 Thunderbolt II

Post by volador »

Hello John: this new AI aircraft is so perfect and beautiful that looks as a new user flyable!

Many thanks John, and thanks in advance to Brent and Mins!
Miguel
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thank you Miguel.

All credit to Mins. He's painted up the 30 A-10C's of the 25th FS at Osan, but has been unable to view the result in FS9 because he has been unable to run it since the Windows 10 RS2 "upgrade" made the sim inoperable. I can at least partially put that right by showing him a screen shot of two of his paints at Osan:

I've done a test of the FS9 Osan scenery in FSX also and that should be fine once I've made a flatten and exclude file in that format.

Not to forget Brent, here's some of his 357th FS paints under the canopies at Davis Monthan:

John
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

Off topic, but this should help mins. You need the No CD patch and have to run fs9 in windowed mode instead of full screen. Runs great on win 10 for me like that.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I concur with what Brent says. Under 10 you have to run with the patch.

If it runs but gets the black screen then rename the fs9.cfg and let FS9 rebuild the cfg file. 10 is not tolerant of incorrect named graphics card in game configs.
Steve
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Loving the weathering that Mins added to the textures!
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
mins
Captain
Captain

Post by mins »

I've tried all the above mentioned methods, but FS9 haven't been executed.

Installing Windows again ...ㅠ ㅠ

Thank you.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

John I have some beta feedback on the models. Do you want me to PM it to you or just list them here?
-Mike G.

John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Could you PM it please Mike.

John
jetmax
Major
Major

Post by jetmax »

Pretty Piggies!
Scott "Jetmax" Jones
The Virtual Air National Guard
Ask me how to join....
http://www.flyvang.org/
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Not far off now, but don't hold me to it!

I did a bit of work to get Brent's FS9 scenery of Davis Monthan ready for use in FSX/P3Dv4 with a new flatten/exclude and anti-push-back nodes on many of the parking spots. Those will be home to the 3 squadrons of A-10Cs that he has been painting. I need now to do the same for the Osan scenery for the A-10s that Mins has painted.

I also re-visited the weapons load-outs and re-designed the AGM-65 Maverick which was too long and not thick enough. I also changed a couple of pylon allocations in the process. The jamming pod is a huge bit of kit at the best of times, but is emphasized by the narrow span of the wing at that point:

With Steve's helped we also solved a mystery as why the A-10s were spawning at altitude with the flaps down. It was due a value for the "max-mach" being too low. Brent had previously found a problem (and solved it) of the aircraft tipping over when negotiating a turn on the ground greater than 90 degrees. The CG was set too high. For testers with the models, the following changes can usefully be made to the A-10A and A-10C aircraft.cfg file:

FS9 and FSX [WEIGHT_AND_BALANCE] :
empty_weight_CG_position = 10, 0, 5

FS9 [Reference Speeds]
max_mach = 0.6

FSX [Reference Speeds]:
max_mach = 0.8

Now off to Osan...........

John
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I wonder if someone with FSX and the FSX MAIW Global Object Libraries installed, could do a little test for me please?

This is a water tower placed in FS9 from the FS9 version of the MAIW Global Object Libraries:

It's just a simple test of the object in the FS9 default scenery "02 Ranch" and it displays fine.

In the attached zip is a single .bgl file that places the object. Could someone with FSX and the FSX version of the MAIW Global Object Libraries installed, place the file in their FSX\addon scenery\scenery folder and go to the default "02 Ranch" please? It should be the first scenery listed in the airports menu. The water tower should be at the intersection of the two grass runways.

How does it display please? There's no need to post a screen shot.

I'm having a problem with it in FSX, but it might be due to the way my libraries are organised. The tower is used in one of the A-10C sceneries, but I can replace it with one of mine if the test shows the same problem.

Thanks,

John
Attachments
water_tower_test.zip
(237 Bytes) Downloaded 21 times
hschuit
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Post by hschuit »

John, the tower shows up but has a transparency alpha issue. In ADEX it shows up as object "MAIW ABO210", guid "806cd8a0-4200-a143-4c6b-2fa78578fa58". I guess it is just a simple matter of changing the object material settings from opaque to transparent.
I also checked the texture (AIRBASE WATERTOWER 2.dds), it has the correct transparency alpha.

cheers, Henk.
Attachments
MAIWTEST.jpg
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

That's exactly what I have Henk. I had checked the alpha channel too and it is indeed pure black RGB 0,0,0 which is fine. As you say, the problem is probably the material settings, but since I don't have the source files and it's not my object anyway, I'm not sure I can do that. I think it will be quicker to get Brent to delete the objects and for me to place one of my FSX water towers, or 3 in this particular case.

Thanks for confirming the problem for me.

John
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

I will do that tonight John.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thanks Brent.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Well crap. We lost two Nellis A-10s last evening out on the NTTR. Sounds like a mid-air during low light conditions. Both pilots managed to eject and are reportedly unhurt although probably a bit shorter tonight than they were yesterday.
-Mike G.

clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

The FS9 version of Johns model in testing with a Aerosoft A-10 as the chase plane.

Not only does it look great, but it flies great too. Easy to keep formation on even while turning, climbing or descending.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Brent and I are pleased to announce the completion of an updated and self-contained scenery and AI package for Davis-Monthan, Arizona. The base is best known for being the home to nearly ninety A-10s belonging to the 355th Fighter wing and the famous AMARG, better known as The Boneyard (not modelled). The sprawling facility is also home to two squadrons of HH-60G Pavehawks, a squadron of HC-130J Combat King IIs, two squadrons of EC-130 Compass Calls and a variety of aircraft flown by the Department of Homeland Security.

The scenery is the first to feature the new A-10C models featured in this topic.

Two versions of the package have been produced – one for FS9 and the other for FSX/P3Dv4. The FS9 version has been sent for inclusion in the download hangar this morning and should be available shortly. I’m away for a week now, but on my return I will package up the FSX/P3Dv4 version and upload that too.

Following quickly on from that will be updated AI packages for Osan, Republic of Korea, featuring the A-10’s of the 25th Fighter Squadron painted by Mins. After that will come an updated version of the Great Lakes ANG package with new A-10s and added shelters for Selfridge, Michigan and Fort Wayne, Indiana - for FS9 and FSX/P3D. They just need a bit of documentation and packaging up.

John and Brent
Reggie
Captain
Captain
Version: P3D

Post by Reggie »

John,
Will the texture files for the RWAI A-10C work with these if they are converted to DDS? I specifically want to build the 74th and 75th at Moody for P3Dv4.

Thanks for another fantastic update.

Reggie
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

The RWAI paints will not work on the new JYAI models