The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

A-10 Thunderbolt II

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: A-10 Thunderbolt II

Post by Firebird »

I don't think I want to be on holiday any more. :(
Steve
Reggie
Captain
Captain
Version: P3D

Post by Reggie »

Thanks Click!
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

The question about the RWAI paints being used on the JYAI model inspired me to do a direct comparison of the RWAI original and the JYAI model using the same camera angle/distance/zoom:

Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

I thought the original release compared to the "C" update was a big change, that shot shows it all with latest model. I was standing next to a KC Hawg, but "155" earlier this spring at an air show.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

That's the earliest purpose built MAIW model compared to the latest one built. Suffice to say, we've come a long ways in the last 11 years.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

MIKE JG wrote: 17 Sep 2017, 16:59 That's the earliest purpose built MAIW model compared to the latest one built. Suffice to say, we've come a long ways in the last 11 years.
Yup. Nothing against the RWAI A-10. In my opinion, it's one of the classic models, with the HTAI F-16 & C130, JAI P-3 and NBAI F-15, that really helped get the ball rolling on dedicated military AI.

To me, the difference in the models isn't about the skill of the modeler, but rather how much we've learned about how FS9 works, how we can push it's limits and how we can make it behave in ways that were never expected or intended.
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

The hogs are loose in the hangar! Go get them you FS9 diehards! :-D
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

Not sure if I should put this here or anther thread, but I will ask anyway. Have you thought about updating the Department of Homeland Security Blackhawk paints? I ask because they are all painted on the USCBP model, but if you look at some photos of the included paints they do not have the nose camera like the USCBP model does.

Here is 23344 taken in 2015 and it does not have the camera thing that the USCBP model has. http://www.airliners.net/photo/US-Custo ... 0A/2710455
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

MIKE JG wrote: 17 Sep 2017, 16:59 That's the earliest purpose built MAIW model compared to the latest one built. Suffice to say, we've come a long ways in the last 11 years.
Completely agree, new techniques and knowledge along with a few new sims reset the baseline "what is an AI model".

Joseph29, that is the "duck bill" for the FLIR and completely removal-able, but most will leave them on. Air Marine Ops are working to reset many of their older "A" models to almost match current US Army "M" standard. As the with CBP mission, just about everything will have some form of "camera" on it.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
maverick69
Major
Major

Post by maverick69 »

Thank you John and Brent! Wonderful work!
- Maurizio C.
Bosshogg
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Bosshogg »

Very nicely done gentlemen. It's great to still get new models and updates to such an old sim. You guys continue to make it fun!
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

Question for anyone that can verify. I see that the 358th has been reactivated at Whiteman and a few 303rd aircraft have logos insignia on them. I can't find any aircraft assigned to the 358th, so I assume they are borrowing aircraft from the 303rd as needed. Anyone know if that is correct?
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

Sorry, cellphone autocorrect at work. That should be "Lobos insignia"
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

The only thing that I can find is that the 358th is part of the 495th FG which is for active associate units which normally means that they borrow aircraft from other units.
I know it seems weird that an active unit would borrow aircraft from a reserve unit but I am assuming that the USAF knows what it is doing.
Steve
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Warthog FB page has a pic of the crews. I verified the 303rd/442nd A-10C #79-0155 I took a pic of in the spring has the 358th banner on the tail. That all makes sense now as at the time I just assumed it was an airframe transfer.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

Victory103 wrote: 23 Sep 2017, 02:46 I verified the 303rd/442nd A-10C #79-0155 I took a pic of in the spring has the 358th banner on the tail.

John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I've sent the FSX/P3Dv4 version of the Davis-Monthan package for inclusion in the Download Hangar this morning. It will be available, I'm sure, as soon as resources permit.

Next job is to finish the documentation for the Osan (ROK) packages with paintwork by Mins and to assemble the zips and upload.

John
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by Stewart Pearson »

John,

What a super looking model - great work as usual. The comparison pics really show how much modelling has progressed over the years.................and how much can be achieved.

Thanks
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thanks Stewart. Yes indeed, we have certainly progressed over the years with the knowledge of how to build with more detail but with added efficiency. XML trigger coding, largely down to Kevin, has also enabled us to do more and more clever things with the animation. With 3 sim versions now on the go, it's hard work trying to create something for everyone, but still very satisfying in the main. Being able to work with designers like Brent is great because we can utilise our joint skills to produce whole packages of AI, scenery and flight plans.

John
flyerkg
Major
Major

Post by flyerkg »

Excellent work! Thank you!!!