The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Thoughts on the next project

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Thoughts on the next project

Post by John Young »

I’ve had a suggestion from a Staff Member about a project that I think would prove popular. It’s to model the 3 variants of the F-35 Lightning II for FS9, FSX and P3Dv4.

Mark (Fishlips) and Kevin (Weescotty) produced the current FS9 F-35A, but Mark is no longer working on the scene to take it further. Kevin has gone some way to an FS9 F-35B conversion, but is dedicated to the F-16 at the moment. I don’t want to tread on toes, so I’ve corresponded with him and he has kindly given me his blessing to take on the task. He’s also given me a methodology for making the nozzle construction on the F-35B, which is the really tricky bit.

The F-35B is due to deploy to RAF Marham in the UK next year, so use could be made of my scenery for the base, tweaked as necessary. It's available in FS9 and FSX native code and should therefore be compatible with P3Dv4. Ian’s scenery of Lakenheath is also available in both sim versions for the F-35A deployments to that airfield, but not until 2021. Brent is happy to take the new models and position them in the continental USA bases as the aircraft arrive there. I’m sure others will chip in too for other country’s F-35 deployments over time.

I’ve done a little bit of research to see what’s involved and Brent has sent me a very basic set of plans. However they are not detailed enough for modelling and I haven’t yet found anything on the net that will do the job. Does anyone have a set of plans please for each of the 3 variants, ideally at least 1500 pixels wide and containing fuselage and wing cross sections? Kevin hasn’t anything current that will do all 3 unfortunately. I sometimes buy a book for a large project because it will often contain the detailed plans as well as good photo-references to the detail. I’m happy to do that for this one, but I don’t know which one to pick because I can’t see the content. Can anyone recommend an F-35 book please?

I can’t say for sure until I’m at least a week into the modelling whether I can pull this off, but it looks interesting. I’m currently about two thirds through making FSX/P3Dv4 Lockheed TR-1A’s to supplement the new A-10As for Ian’s upcoming retro RAF Alconbury, but hopefully my decks will be cleared to start the F-35s in a few week’s time. I just need the plans to get me started, so any help to find them would be much appreciated.

John
swp53
Captain
Captain
Version: FSX

Re: Thoughts on the next project

Post by swp53 »

Hi John,
Just wondering if it would be worth contacting Dino Cattaneo to see if he would supply any drawings that he used for his flyable F-35 or at least point you at a source for drawings.
Regards,
Steve
Past Beta Tester
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FS9

Post by bismarck »

What a fantastic news!!!
I don't know who's the staff member that suggested you this project, but I completely agree with him... :mrgreen:
I was thinking to the B variant right a couple of days ago, following a landing of an F-35 at Amendola.

Can't wait, and searching for what you need.

Thanks, Giorgio
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Wow John that would be a huge undertaking, much needed for sure! I've certainly thought about it but as you said Kevin and I have F-16's coming out our you know where right now, so I'm concentrating efforts on that.

I'm sure the community here would offer just about any sort of help for the research you would need.

Gawd that is a much needed model!
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

The numbers projected to be produced certainly make it worth the effort.
-Mike G.

TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel

Post by TheFoufure »

mins
Captain
Captain

Post by mins »

Happy News.^ ^

You're doing great work again.

I want to give you some help.

Thank you always for your efforts.
DaleRFU
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by DaleRFU »

A great choice for sure John and would be a welcome addition, certainly if all three versions are covered. With such a large number ordered by several different nations it would be a great model to have.
Please visit my YouTube channel @ https://www.youtube.com/user/daledelboy
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Post by petebramley »

Good to hear John. I have been hoping for a F-35B since Kev & Mark showed some early beta’s. I had to restrain myself from asking for updates 😀

Looking forward to seeing them in sim if this goes forward and when they are ready <G>
Pete B
Retired and busier than ever !!
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

John, any thoughts on the C-130 re-vamp?
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

How about a C-17? It would be relatively easy to do. You don't need to do different weapon loads and you wouldn't have to make different airframe variations.
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

I think it is better for the next project to keep it secret up to its release...

:roll: :?
Giorgio
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

At the moment I'm concentrating on F-35A, B and C research as the potential next project. C-130 or C-17 projects are not under consideration at this point. Hartwig has kindly sent me a large amount of F-35 information that is most useful. It includes a video of how the F-35B nozzle works for real. It frightens the life out of me animation-wise!

John
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

I am planning a new C-130 after the F-16 project just so everyone knows, for all versions of the sim as well.
-Mike G.

andypoppens
Captain
Captain

Post by andypoppens »

John this website should help you and Brent
https://www.f35.com
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

The F-35 nozzle animation was actually easier than I thought, although I could not have worked it out without studying the real thing:

After a couple of hours playing with it, I managed to reproduce the motion in a Gmax experiment. Looks good too with the contra-rotating animation.

With the nozzle animation worked out, a wealth of information from Hartwig and some reasonable 3-views from Brent, there's no excuse not to dive into modelling the F-35 variants. I'll open a new JYAI F-35 thread when I have some progress to show......

John
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel

Post by TheFoufure »

Wow. Great news ! Good luck in this job, and thanks for all your work for the MAIW comunity John ;-)
Makadocias
Captain
Captain

Post by Makadocias »

Great news!
Jon
Major
Major

Post by Jon »

Looking great.
"To Err is Human, To Forgive is Divine. Neither of Which is SAC Policy."
AIG Beta Tester, General Aviation painter
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

The Force is strong with this one!
-Mike G.