The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Thoughts on the next project

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
lucame
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Re: Thoughts on the next project

Post by lucame »

I think that KC 10 could be a great idea.
I suppose that they are still in use in the Netherlands or am I wrong?

The Shackletons are looking very good, Thank you John !

Ciao
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel
Version: FS9

Post by TheFoufure »

lucame wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 13:09 I think that KC 10 could be a great idea.
I suppose that they are still in use in the Netherlands or am I wrong?
No. Only one is still there but will be retired very soon. The KC-30MRTT is there now.
jetpilot1980
Captain
Captain
Version: P3D

Post by jetpilot1980 »

In the tanker lines a L-1011 tanker could be entertaining too...
ahs06
Captain
Captain

Post by ahs06 »

The US Navy just started accepting the AW119 as it's new training helecoptor to replace the Bell 206. The Bell 206 and 207 are also well represented in the world armed forces and government agencies.
"No matter what happens in life, be good to people. Being good to people is a wonderful legacy to leave behind"-C Ritzer
SeanG
Captain
Captain

Post by SeanG »

+1 for the Huey…. Sadly it’s a ‘mostly retro’ subject, but a wide appeal with loads of operators (and I’m biased)

Sean
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Mins and YoYo have produced the UH-1 for FS9 and FSX/P3D, respectively, I think? I don't really want to duplicate that.

The Chinese suggestions are a no-no I fear. Apart from a lack of decent 3 views, there is very little information on numbers and deployments, never mind serials. The Scramble Orbat is very sparse indeed.

I'm just testing the existing FS9 KC-10A to see how it looks and behaves and so far I have found a few problems and logged some opportunities. That might lead me to making a new package for all 3 sims, but more on that tomorrow when I have pondered a bit more. That could be coupled with numbering up my KC-46A's and deploying them (unless someone has done that already) - Scramble shows 55 of those.

John
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel

Post by TheFoufure »

There are a total of 56 KC-10 for USAF.

One or two of them are gone to AMARG.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

OK, I've pondered a bit more.

The Charles Dayhuff KC-10 for FS9 looks OK, but is a tad basic. It has no half flaps for take-off, no leading edge slats and no thrust reversers. Strangely, it has 14 LODs with a maximum of only 3498 mesh polygons in the first LOD, yet the transitions are quite harsh and noticeable, at least with my monitor resolution.

Take off looks fine but the approach to land is way too high, the aircraft landing about a third of the way down my 8000ft test runway.

I'm tempted to make a JYAI version, certainly for FSX and P3D, and, as Steve has usefully narrated, because there is little that we can modify with this aircraft, including repainting, for FS9 too. That will give more flexibility for that sim version.

Scramble says 54 USAF active examples, so two have probably gone to AMARG (I know one has for sure). There seems to be huge controversy over the state of the KC-46A fleet, so it looks like the bulk of the KC-10A's will stay in service for a while yet.

I think this might be a useful hole to fill. I'd like to stick with fixed wing for the moment, having done a number of helicopters recently.

John
asdro
Major
Major

Post by asdro »

C-17 and C5 would be nice.
I know i have suggested that in the past already.

The current KC-10 model is very nice. But the the PAI C17 really could be replaced.

By this occasion all regs and units could be updated.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

There is one type that I kinda like the look of from an area of the world that is not covered very well.
The PAC JF-17 Thunder. Not really used outside of Pakistan yet but they do have a substantial number in service. They are in service with 8 units and appears to have only two versions - single and two-seater.
Steve
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I was trying to confine the requests to USAF/USN/USMC gaps for the moment, rather than extend the request listing with what's already been posted. As I said, the half that haven't been done I think would have limited appeal, or I am not really interested in devoting time to them.

Asdro, you have asked for a new C-17 3 times. Martin asked you what's wrong with the existing one, but you didn't respond. It's not a priority for me I'm afraid, but what do you want changed/added to the model that might tempt me to change my mind? I'm not interested in re-paints and re-flight planning for the existing model - other people have skills to do that.

Steve, you made a convincing case for the KC-10A, so I think I am going to press on with that and fill the USAF gap. It's not a huge job to model and paint. Numbering up and inserting into available scenery might not take too long either depending on what flight plans are already available.

John
Muckinator2005
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team

Post by Muckinator2005 »

An aircraft never done as AI, both used by US Army and US Navy as well as a lot of other operators, retro and current, would be the OH-6 Cayuse/MD 500 helicopter.Over time they put a lot of attachments on this bird, but I think the basic shape didn't change that much.

Jean Claude
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Yes that one carry's a lot of priority for me, but I just want a change from helicopters for a project or two. It would probably have been done by now if Brent was still on the scene. He always did a great job in placing my US and Japanese AI in any scenery needed.

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I just thought of a retro USN bird that hasn't been done. The Vigilante. Lovely looking clean bird.
Steve
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Second that very much, Steve. This is a beautiful aircraft.

From mobile hence short
Cheers,
Martin
Captain
Captain

Post by msm8378 »

John,

I think the KC-10 would be a great project to see done as well. I know it would be retro but the S-3B Viking and OV-1C/D Mohawk would be cool fixed wings (This is probably biased by my service time 1983 - 2002). When you do come back to the helos a neat package deal to consider would be the US Army 160th SOAR "Night Stalkers". They have a combination of AH-6, AH/MH-60, and MH-47 helos.
hawk_sh
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by hawk_sh »

for USN/USMC:

A-6/EA-6 Intruder/Prowler
A-7 Corsair (with folding wings)

for the Royal Navy:

the Fairy Gannet with its several variants - it also has contra-rotating props and an interesting double-wingfold.

This would complete the FAA's late 1970s air wing with the Buccaneers, Phantoms and Sea Kings already availave as AI models.
HMS Ark Royal sceneries are available for FS9 and FSX (not sure about P3D).

And maybe later when you want to come back to helicopters: the Westland Wessex / Sikorsky S-58...
Hartwig

jetrange
Captain
Captain
Version: FSX

Post by jetrange »

One future idea for the USN side, the Grumman S-2 Tracker/C-1 Trader/ and maybe the E-1 Tracer.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thanks everyone, but I wasn't intending to open the flood gates at this point, especially for suggestions already made. All I wanted to focus down on at the moment are the USAF/USN/USMC holes in the current inventory, or retro if there are none. I'll consider RAF and RN holes a bit later.

I'm fine for the time being now - I've just made a start on the KC-10A.

John
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

That's good news and fits within your idea of finding the gaps in model coverage. I was just adding the contract tanker group Omega and despite using AIGAIM for my civilian AI, even the DC-10 has not been converted. I do like the idea of starting the T-7 early.

The retro ideas floating around are also on my list, the A-6 series would cover retro USN/USMC with minimal changes from the A through E model (minus EA-6B).

When you do return to the rotary side now that the classic UH-1 is at least in AI form, the next one up would be the Killer Egg as mentioned with several countries flying the MD-500 series. There would be law enforcement applications as well similar to the H145.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris