The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Thoughts on the next project

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
Garysb
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FSX

Re: Thoughts on the next project

Post by Garysb »

"Remains high on the list."

:)
I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 -
Viper810
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Post by Viper810 »

I would say a new C-17 version. The old current PAI one is very old and from the beginning of MAIW.
A new B-1B would also be great. Same reason as the C-17.
System specs

I9-9900K
MSI RTX 2080
16 GB RAM
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by TimC340 »

The Meteor is an enormous subject, with the aircraft evolving hugely from the early single-seat fighter to the late two-seat radar-equipped night fighter. Used to be quite a few as gate guards around the RAF estate, and the RAF Vintage Pair kept one in the air until the unfortunate accident at Mildenhall in the mid 80s which ended the team's existence. My Dad had several varieties in his logbooks, so it's one I'd definitely love to see!
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Viper, what is it that you want to see in a new C-17 model that's not in the PAI one? I did ask the previous proposer twice, but he has not responded. I just need to weigh up the potential benefits compared to a large amount of effort.

Mike, I think, has mentioned the possibility of a new B-1B, so I'll steer clear of that one.

For Meteor fans, what would you like to see, but would keep the project manageable please?

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

My personal favourite Meatbox has always been the NF14 for some reason. The clear canopy makes it so much more appealing than the NF12. I would imagine that the F8 would be high on most peoples lists.
Steve
jgowing
Captain
Captain

Post by jgowing »

I always liked the the T7, plus the Martin Baker pair because they're still with us.

Jon G
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Thoughts on the next project

Post by gsnde »

:) :) :)

Gloster Meteor F8 "Prone Pilot"

From mobile hence short
Cheers,
Martin
Second Lieutenant

Post by Viper810 »

John Young wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 18:48 Viper, what is it that you want to see in a new C-17 model that's not in the PAI one? I did ask the previous proposer twice, but he has not responded. I just need to weigh up the potential benefits compared to a large amount of effort.
John
A more detailed version with better animation and flightdynamics. Maybe the reason is not good enough for it.
Another question then. What was the main reason to make your own C-130, KC-10, F-15s ect? while the HTAI versions are good to?
System specs

I9-9900K
MSI RTX 2080
16 GB RAM
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel

Post by TheFoufure »

John Young wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 18:48 For Meteor fans, what would you like to see, but would keep the project manageable please?

John
for Belgian Air Force :

- Meteor F.4 = 48 exemples (EF-1 to EF-48)

- Meteor F.8 = 23 exemples (EG-201 to 223) followed by three other orders
- Meteor F.8 = 150 exemples builded by Fokker in The Netherlands (EG-1 to EG-150)
- Meteor F.8 = 30 exemples builded by Fairey in Belgium (EG-151 to 180)
- Meteor F.8 = 37 exemples assembled by Fairey with Gloster kits (EG-224 to 260)

- Meteor NF.11 = 24 exemples (EN-1 to EN-24)

- Meteor T.7 = 43 exemples (ED-1 to ED-43) (20 were old converted F.4)
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

It's proving really difficult trying to get the two proposers to say why the PAI C-17 needs replacing. Viper, what is wrong with the animation and the flight dynamics that you cite, that needs to be better? I'm not saying no, I just want to know that I can add value while spending several hundred hours on such a large project, when that time might be better spent on another proposal.

I made the special versions of the C-130's like the newer gunships, Compass Call, Weather Birds and Ski-Birds that weren't available elsewhere. Similarly, the KC-10A doesn't exist for FSX and P3D and we have no permission to convert the FS9 one, so that was a gap to fill. The F-15's were made specially for FSX/P3D for Ian's Lakenheath scenery that started development in parallel, 9 years ago, while we were both at ACG.

I think for the Meteor, I could just pick the most popular marks and just paint the last squadron to fly them - aircraft only with no scenery or flight plans. I'd also make the two Martin Baker aircraft. Anything else could be tackled by users with a supplied paint kit.

Martin, I know I said I sometimes do "ugly", but that F8 prone pilot is a whole new level! You know I sometimes change my mind, but I wouldn't count on that one (LOL).

John
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Please don‘t, John!

From mobile hence short
Cheers,
Martin
Second Lieutenant

Post by Viper810 »

John Young wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 20:53 It's proving really difficult trying to get the two proposers to say why the PAI C-17 needs replacing. Viper, what is wrong with the animation and the flight dynamics that you cite, that needs to be better? I'm not saying no, I just want to know that I can add value while spending several hundred hours on such a large project, when that time might be better spent on another proposal.

I made the special versions of the C-130's like the newer gunships, Compass Call, Weather Birds and Ski-Birds that weren't available elsewhere. Similarly, the KC-10A doesn't exist for FSX and P3D and we have no permission to convert the FS9 one, so that was a gap to fill. The F-15's were made specially for FSX/P3D for Ian's Lakenheath scenery that started development in parallel, 9 years ago, while we were both at ACG.

I think for the Meteor, I could just pick the most popular marks and just paint the last squadron to fly them - aircraft only with no scenery or flight plans. I'd also make the two Martin Baker aircraft. Anything else could be tackled by users with a supplied paint kit.

Martin, I know I said I sometimes do "ugly", but that F8 prone pilot is a whole new level! You know I sometimes change my mind, but I wouldn't count on that one (LOL).

John
I dont't want to force you to make your own version. It is just a thought :wink: . There are probably many other aircrafts which need a remake or even don't excist for all simulators. I did not know about the KC-10 story.
System specs

I9-9900K
MSI RTX 2080
16 GB RAM
Jim
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jim »

I know this does not tick your usual boxes John, but how could you resist this challenge?

Back in the day, this was the most exotic and mysterious grainy pictured beastie in my Ian Allen aircraft recognition book. The exotic, beautiful, mad-mental, Buck Rodgers fighter... the Yak-28p Firebar!!! A Meteor on steroids and they hardly made any, so would be an easy project :lol:

John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Jim, they made 435 according to Wikki. Interesting project, but like the Meteor, where would you put them? Is there enough interest across 3 sim versions?

John
Garysb
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Garysb »

John
After you have done the Meteor, next week you could progress onto the Vampire and Venom , only kidding lol

Cheers

Gary
I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 -
Garysb
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Garysb »

Diddn't we have some great sounding names then :)

Can't wait for the Tomtit II

ANON
Buzz Aldrin (1930 -
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Jim wrote:I know this does not tick your usual boxes John, but how could you resist this challenge?

Back in the day, this was the most exotic and mysterious grainy pictured beastie in my Ian Allen aircraft recognition book. The exotic, beautiful, mad-mental, Buck Rodgers fighter... the Yak-28p Firebar!!! A Meteor on steroids and they hardly made any, so would be an easy project :lol:

I always found this a very cool looking aircraft. This one and the Tu-16 were on Mike Pearson’s to-do list when he went through the Eastern inventory, but then he stopped doing military AI before starting those.

I still would love to see them.

From mobile hence short
Cheers,
Martin
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

For the Meteor, the principal versions in widespread service were the F4 (535 RAF), T7 (640 RAF), F8 (over 1000) , NF11 (311), NF12/13 (140) and NF14 (100). There were lots of export Meteors too, mainly F8 and T7. The Navy even had a carrier-borne F4 briefly. The major variations include fuselage length, tail design and wingspan, but obviously there are many detail differences. The only external stores were drop tanks and a very odd ventral tank. The Meteor was the last fighter used by the RAuxAF Squadrons.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I think I need to make the Meteor if I can contain the project, but the numbers are just scary.

I'm also getting warmer with these two Russian suggestions, particularly the Tu-16. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about the retro Russian inventory to be able to draw boundaries around a do-able project. Do we have someone here who could scope something manageable (aircraft numbers and scenery) and float it here for comment please? It would certainly be a new direction for me and with the right guidance it could be interesting and may prove popular. I'm assuming neither aircraft is currently available as AI for any of the sim versions.

In the meantime, I'll carry on with the KC-10A's and the KC-46A projects.

John
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Considering the Chinese clone Xian H-6 the Tu-16 is not even retro.

Since most of Mike P.‘s Eastern Block aircraft have been converted, I can imagine people have created bases to make use of them. And was it Giorgio who has made flight plans for the East?

From mobile hence short
Cheers,
Martin