The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

JYAI F-15C/D Disappear and RSAF F-15SG not visible - P3Dv4

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
thetford569
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

JYAI F-15C/D Disappear and RSAF F-15SG not visible - P3Dv4

Post by thetford569 »

Apologies if this problem has been answered before but I can not find anything about this in all of my searches. I know the JYAI F-15C, D, and Es are FSX Native and are supposed to work in Prepar3d version 4. Yesterday I spent some time installing the packages available here for Mountain Home and Nellis.

At Nellis I am noticing that all of the F-15Cs and Ds disappear when you get closer to them and then re-appear after moving further away. They also appear to be floating in the air when parked looking from a distance. These are for sure the FSX versions of the models so it's my understanding that they should work? I have linked to a video showing this issue.

The Nellis F-15E models at first were also disappearing until I replaced the models in their folder with the models from the USAF F-15Es at Mountain Home (because those were working). At that point it is now only the C and D models that are disappearing.

At Mountain Home all of the USAF F-15Es display just fine however there is another issue in that the RSAF F-15SGs do not show up at all. They are not disappearing, they just never show up. I have checked the traffic file for them which is active and the aircraft entries are all correct. I've now spent hours trying to figure this out and I am at a loss. Maybe they just don't work in P3Dv4 but I thought others were using them just fine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Brandon
Last edited by Greg on 26 Mar 2018, 17:29, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: URL tags removed for inline media viewing
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: JYAI F-15C/D Disappear and RSAF F-15SG not visible - P3Dv4

Post by clickclickdoh »

I'm not sure in P3D, but in FSX, if you have disappearing AI like that, it's because of the SmallPartRejectRadius setting in the .cfg file.

Opening the sims .cfg file and looking for a [scenery] section. Look to see if you have SmallPartRejectRadius=1 or SmallPartRejectRadius=2. Set it to SmallPartRejectRadius=0
thetford569
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by thetford569 »

I checked the Prepar3D.cfg and this entry was not in the scenery section at all. I added SmallPartRejectRadius=0 to the [scenery] section and loaded the sim. It had no affect on anything and the F-15C/Ds were still disappearing. I suspect this is not a valid entry anymore and Lockheed got rid of it in the cfg file.

Brandon
thetford569
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by thetford569 »

I just fixed the F-15SG issue at Mountain Home. I had renamed the folder containing the aircraft to something matching my organization scheme. This has never been a problem before. I decided to re-download the models and install them without renaming the folder. This worked and now the RSAF F-15SGs are visible.

The F-15Cs and Ds are still disappearing however so I guess these are just not compatible with P3D version 4. I can't figure out any other reason why they would be doing this. Another poster awhile back posted about the same disappearing issue with the HTAI F-16s however all of my F-16s are just fine. It's these Eagles I am having the same issue with. Very strange...

Brandon
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Brandon, I've just set up F-15C's and D's at my test airfield in P3Dv4 and zoomed in and out from touching the aircraft to a couple of miles away and they remained rock stable and visible at all times.

This is in V4.0.28. Is it possible you have the new V4.2 installed and is it possible that LM have done something that now prevents FSX native from functioning properly?

John
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Joseph29 »

I have P3D v4.2 and I just checked at Lakenheath and the C's and D's work fine. I don't have the Nellis ones installed so I can't check those.

I did look at the Nellis models and for the "C centerline drop tank" model it has a JYAI_F-15A.mdl file in it. Maybe that's the problem??
thetford569
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by thetford569 »

John Young wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 06:25 Brandon, I've just set up F-15C's and D's at my test airfield in P3Dv4 and zoomed in and out from touching the aircraft to a couple of miles away and they remained rock stable and visible at all times.

This is in V4.0.28. Is it possible you have the new V4.2 installed and is it possible that LM have done something that now prevents FSX native from functioning properly?

John
This is quite possible John. I am using version 4.2 however I am using a whole lot of other AI models that are FSX Native and don't have the issue. It's just these F-15s. It's very strange because I would think that they are FS9 models but I know for a fact that I downloaded the FSX versions directly from here. I'm not sure what the problem is. It could be a LM change in code but then again I am not sure at all....

Brandon
thetford569
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by thetford569 »

Joseph29 wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 11:09 I have P3D v4.2 and I just checked at Lakenheath and the C's and D's work fine. I don't have the Nellis ones installed so I can't check those.

I did look at the Nellis models and for the "C centerline drop tank" model it has a JYAI_F-15A.mdl file in it. Maybe that's the problem??
I also saw the F-15A model in there and wondered if that was an issue but I figured it was not since it was in the FSX Native download and he was probably just using the A model as a C or missed renaming a file. I'm not sure what's going on. Since your Lakenheath models work fine I am going to check at a different location other than Nellis and see if I have the same issue.

Brandon
thetford569
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by thetford569 »

So, the plot thickens.....Here is another video showing the Nellis F-15s visiting NAS Leemoore, CA on a Saturday. I checked at this location to rule out the Nellis scenery somehow causing the issue. I changed my traffic file a little bit because as is well known there are not enough paints for the Nellis F15s to go with the flightplans from MAIW. I chose to stick a Lakenheath F15C in there as a pretend "transfer jet that has not been painted yet". It just so happens that LN jet was one of the 3 F15s visiting Leemoore at this time and it does not disappear. So, there is something different between the LN jets and the Nellis jets. I am going to check the models now to see if I can figure it out.

https://youtu.be/8U9YiWkJ19s

Brandon
thetford569
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by thetford569 »

OK, I have solved the problem for the most part. The models included with the Nellis paints do not work. The models in the base package for the F15C and D work just fine. This is the package that has 3 LN repaints in it and 3 models: C_AMRAAMS, C_Std, and D_Std. These models have a different date stamp (newer by a few days) than the ones in the Nellis download. I copied these 3 models and overwrote the Nellis models and now all of the Nellis F15Cs and Ds are working correctly.

In the Nellis downloads there are additional models: Model.C centerline drop tank, Model.C_1_tank_0_weps, Model.D_1_tank_0_drill_load

I only found one entry in the aircraft cfg where one of the Nellis jets was using one of these models and it was the Model.C centerline drop tank model. The others do not appear to be used anywhere. I checked in the sim and the Centerline tank model also does the disappearing act while the others that I overwrote still display just fine. If there are updates to these extra models somewhere that's probably what is needed.

If these additional models are not available I will just change that one Nellis jet to use the C_Std model and it should be ok. I've attached one last video showing this issue with the Centerline Tank model.

https://youtu.be/UjILcPIhoas

Brandon
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Can I just confirm that this is the Mark Walsh package that the FSX C Centre Line model came from please:

https://militaryaiworks.com/download-ha ... 53wing-fsx

Once I know that I'll test all the aircraft.

John
thetford569
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by thetford569 »

John Young wrote: 27 Mar 2018, 15:11 Can I just confirm that this is the Mark Walsh package that the FSX C Centre Line model came from please:

https://militaryaiworks.com/download-ha ... 53wing-fsx

Once I know that I'll test all the aircraft.

John
John,

The one you linked to for the 53rd Wing does not have the centerline model in it....

The C centerline drop tank model is located in the 57 Wing package: https://militaryaiworks.com/download-ha ... 57wing-fsx

This 57 wing package also includes a C_1_tank_0_weps model and a D_1_tank_0_drill_load model. The 53 Wing package (the one you had linked to) only has one additional model which is the C_1_tank_0_weps model.

The C centerline drop tank is the only one of these "additional" models that are used in any of the repaints. I could not find any aircraft.cfg entry using the other two models. My gut though says that if the Centerline model isn't working correctly then the weps model and D_tank drill load model are not working either.

Basically the 57 Wing package contains all of the additional models. If these additional ones can be checked then maybe they can be copied into both packages to make those additional models work. Long answer to a simple question but I am trying to make sure you know which ones I am talking about. I hope this all makes sense.

Brandon
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

OK. I can see the problem Brandon having first downloaded Mark's repaint package in your link above.

I first set up one of each of the models actually specified in the aircraft.cfg file and first viewed the 4 aircraft in FSX. They were fine. Then I moved the traffic file to P3Dv4 and two things happened. Firstly all 4 of the aircraft disappeared just as you described. The second thing is that when they were visible they were minus the animated parts like the gear. That tells me that Mark has put FS9 models into an FSX package. I don't know how he managed to do that.

I'm working hard to get the F-35 packages ready for release at the moment and I don't want to get diverted into sorting this one out. I think you will just need to use the fix you were suggesting for the time being.

John
thetford569
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by thetford569 »

No problem. Just glad you could find an issue and know there was a problem. I can use the standard model for the time being. I too noticed the missing gear but since I didn’t think it could have been an FS9 model I figured it was something else. Thanks for looking. Looking forward to the F35s!

Brandon