The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Panavia Tornado

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Panavia Tornado

Post by John Young »

Since Manfred’s disappointment that he had no Tornado GR1/GR4 AI aircraft for his in-progress retro RAF Brüggen scenery for P3Dv4 and my offer to help out, I’ve made a start on the modelling. The reason for the gap is that we have no license to convert the Fernado Martinez (FMAI) FS9 model in the way that we do for many other of our FS9 AI aircraft.

I decided at the outset that I would only build FSX/P3Dv4 models this time. I actually had a partially completed one in the air, when Giorgio PM’d me to say it would be great if we had the Italian examples in FS9 format too. That opened up a can of worms and I thought about it for a few days. Brent managed to get me the total present day count of Tornado’s from Scramble. They total 291 at the most – RAF 25, Italy 65, Germany 120 and Saudi Arabia 81. If the 40 or so needed for retro Brüggen is added in, that’s 331 paints. It’s probably too many for me, particularly as some have particularly complicated anniversary schemes.

What began to change my mind and build for FS9 too, was a visit to The Imperial War Museum at Duxford (UK) to scrutinize the two Tornado's there. I just got hooked on the aircraft because of the opportunity for some varied animation, including the thrust reverser buckets. The visit helped me to understand the mechanics. What cemented it was a close look at the FMAI models and a complete lack of load-out options. That seemed a pity given the range of stores the Tornado can carry. After returning from Duxford I promptly converted my Gmax file to FS9 (not easy because of the need to get every bit of FSX code out of it) and put myself at my usual start position with an FS9 build:

For Manfred's Brüggen, as well as a clean model and 3 fuel tanks, there are additional options of 2 x Paveways and a separate model with 2 x JP233’s. For the modern day RAF load, I’ve produced an option of 2 x Paveways, 3 x Brimstones and a Litening pod:

I have also produced the parts needed for the F-3 (ADV). This has the longer nose, extension to the fuselage behind the cockpit, sharper wing root gloves plus of course a different load-out:

So, how much to take on? Well, the priority is the 40 GR1 and GR4 camouflaged examples for Manfred, but I’m also planning to produce the 25 current grey RAF GR4’s. I’ll see how I get on with the other users. At the least, I’ll do one master paint for each user country so people here that have an interest can duplicate and number up themselves. I’ll probably do the same for the F3 with perhaps one paint for each of the Squadrons that used the aircraft.

It should be possible to use the existing flight plans by changing the aircraft names and deleting retired aircraft. I’m not intending to do that myself, nor am I intending to work on any scenery.

Next job is to spend some time on the FDE and then move on to mapping and painting.............

John
Manschy
Major
Major
Version: P3D

Re: Panavia Tornado

Post by Manschy »

No words :shock: .... Just stunning.....
Regards, Manfred.
paul64
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by paul64 »

Fantastic work John, it was the first front line jet I worked with way back in 83.
JohnTenn
Major
Major
Version: FS9

Post by JohnTenn »

Mighty fine, John, Mighty fine.

I am sure you will get a few painters to help.

John
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

WOW!!!
A new Tornado for FS9 too, it's a GREAT news!!! :smt026
Can't wait for the IDS/ECR :lol:
When you are ready, let me know if and how I can help.

Thanks a lot, Giorgio
DaleRFU
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: MSFS

Post by DaleRFU »

Looks awesome John! You just keep blowing us away with your work.
Please visit my YouTube channel @ https://www.youtube.com/user/daledelboy
miljan
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by miljan »

Honestly, I was thinking about options we have with Tornado and Mirage-2000 from Fernando few days ago. Model looks great John...
Looking forward for it.
VIVA LA VIDA
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

Very nice!! Does anyone still use the F3?
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel

Post by TheFoufure »

John, in advance, thanks for this model. A new Tornado with various payload, great !!!

And many thanks for FS9 users ;-) (there still have a lot of FS9 users)
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

Looks like you are off to another wonderful start there John
rocket_26_
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by rocket_26_ »

They look superb John.

I like many others have been waiting for a new Tornado model with various load-outs so I am really pleased to see these.

It will give me a kick to get back on the Cottesmore scenery which I made a start on at the start of the year. I have also slowly been updating Coningsby for a true P3D version with ground poly although the current version works fine.
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

The Tonka lives! So, basically if I design top level scenery that requires an AI model with no FS9/X/3D conversion in sight, I just have to ask? Don't worry, I can hardly work ADE!
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Yes absolutely Chris.

John
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

Fernados original model isn't FSX/P3D compliant and he isn't on the scene anymore to update it.

And, also, much like the transition from the RWAI A-10 to the JYAI A-10, a great deal has been learned about how to make awesome AI aircraft since the first generation models.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I'm deep into mapping and painting the first Tornado model at the moment, but I have a question. Does anyone know for sure what colour the RAF JP233 cluster munitions dispensers were painted before they were withdrawn from service please? The example at the Imperial War Museum at Duxford is in a semi-gloss mid green - a bit like British Racing green, but far removed from the standard RAF camo green. I've also seen some poor quality Tornado pictures where the dispensers appear to have a yellowish paint.

There's not many good photos around that I could find that would confirm the colour.

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

They were BS Deep Bronze Green. If you search for that colour I am sure that you will find it in whatever paint charts you use.
Steve
merlin101
Major
Major

Post by merlin101 »

If i remeber right from my days at Marham in 80's, training rounds were blue (Not for flight!), semi-matt dark green were operational fit. Yellowish ones were trials 'pods .
Dave
Kulbit
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Kulbit »

1991 during Desert Storm..
Please do not care at the "nose art" !!!
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thanks everyone. BS381-224 Deep Bronze Green it shall be. I found 6 swatches all claiming to be that colour with quite a variation in RGB values:

45 55 31
49 64 33
69 72 63
42 52 28
42 51 30
61 59 36

I've excluded the extremes and will use 42 51 30 because there are 3 clustered around that value.

John
Kulbit
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Kulbit »

Just an idea...
i know that the weapon is currently retired but for the cold war era scenery can you realize a GR4 configuration with an inert WE177 nuclear bomb as often seen at Marham for the Strike training ?