The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Panavia Tornado

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: Panavia Tornado

Post by John Young »

Great job Dale. I'm so glad you took the paints on.

I've just finished the Luftwaffe IDS and ECR paints for FS9/FSX/P3D. Giorgio has done the flight plans. I'm going to explore the scenery options for the 3 sim versions next.

John
Garysb
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FSX

Post by Garysb »

Another special tail today John 31sqn

Keep you busy

Gary
I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 -
Tranquil
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by Tranquil »

31 Squadron has painted a Tornado GR4 in this special colour scheme.

The Goldstars have operated the Tornado since 1984, initially in Germany and then from RAF Marham since 2001. Following the retirement of the Tornado next year 31 Squadron will stand down but will in due course reform to operate the Protector RG.1.

ZD716 31 Squadron

Much thanks

Mark
Image Image
The spice extends life. The spice expands consciousness. The spice is vital to space travel.
asdro
Major
Major
Version: FS9

Post by asdro »

Concerning FS9 users like me: could please write which sceneries we need for these birds?
Especially for current time.

Is Dahran also availible for FD9 for Saudi Tornados?
asdro
Major
Major

Post by asdro »

I already use Al Dafrah near Abu Dhabi and
Al udaid near Doha.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

asdro wrote: 13 Nov 2018, 21:22 Concerning FS9 users like me: could please write which sceneries we need for these birds?
Especially for current time.
I'm working through the available sceneries for each of the Tornado variants and nationalities with a view to getting as many as possible working in all 3 sim versions. That may not always be possible, particularly going backwards from P3Dv4 or FSX and I might also need to seek permissions to convert some elements. I'll post the outcome once I've played with a few more. The Tornado manuals will also contain advice about available scenery once I get to that stage.

I'm exploring Ghedi, Buchel and Schleswig for the Italian and German IDS and ECR's at the moment. Marham for the GR4's should be OK since I've already built FS9 and FSX versions - retro and modern. The problem with the modern version is that it needs updating with the new F-35B facilities and aircraft. If I decided to do that, by the time it's done, the GR4's would be retired.

John
asdro
Major
Major

Post by asdro »

May be Dale RFU is so kind a allows somebody to make a conversion of his scenery for FS9.

If i am not wrong Dahran is not availible for FS9.

Thanks!
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Just hold fire for the moment asdro. The new Tornado packages are not ready for release yet. I thought I was pretty clear above that I'm reviewing what's available scenery-wise for all variants and nationalities for all 3 sim versions. One of those steps will be to explore with Dale if it is possible to get his Saudi sceneries similarly compatible, but as it's a downwards conversion you are after, that might be doubtful.

John
JohnTenn
Major
Major

Post by JohnTenn »

John

It is possible to reverse parts of the sceneries to FS9.

There is a way to reconfigure the GUID to FS9 format but it is manual at this stage.

Some objects will convert backwards but some wont, depending on the Creation Program. It does take time though.

John
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thanks John.

I did say in post 1 that I wasn't intending to work on any sceneries, but I'll happily identify what I can do easily and what might be more difficult. I'm actually off to a good start because Giorgio's FS9 Ghedi scenery for the Italian Tornado's works well in FSX with the exclude/flatten/class map I made and similarly well with the same tweaks in P3Dv4, plus a conversion of the library objects.

Now for the two German sceneries.....

John
jimrodger
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by jimrodger »

asdro wrote: 14 Nov 2018, 09:12 May be Dale RFU is so kind a allows somebody to make a conversion of his scenery for FS9.

If i am not wrong Dahran is not availible for FS9.

Thanks!
Isn't there FS9 scenery for OEDR in the Saudi Tornado Package?

Jim
"When all else fails, and your AI doesn't show up...... check the AI slider.......DOH!!!!"
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by Stewart Pearson »

Hi Jim,

There's an AF2 and exclude files for OEDR in that package. It was created before the advent of ADE, so created using Afcad. No actual scenery, just runways etc.
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
jimrodger
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by jimrodger »

I knew I had one somewhere....

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.ph ... fid=170116

Is a Dale Ashcroft 49Mb scenery for OEDR called dhahranoedr.zip.

Hope this is what you're looking for.

Jim
"When all else fails, and your AI doesn't show up...... check the AI slider.......DOH!!!!"
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

You have most things somewhere, Jim. I think that your nickname should be 'The Vault'
Steve
jimrodger
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by jimrodger »

Firebird wrote: 14 Nov 2018, 14:23 You have most things somewhere, Jim. I think that your nickname should be 'The Vault'
Unused disk space is wasted disk space :)

Jim
DaleRFU
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by DaleRFU »

I did make scenery for Dhahran a few years ago when I first started modelling and texturing. At the time I was happy with it but I've learnt a lot since then and the newer version has a lot better texturing, modelling and performance. That said they are for different platforms. The old FS9 scenery should work perfectly fine with the new aircraft though. Once I've finished with the aircraft I will get back to the scenery. As I mentioned before it'll be a "lite" version for now to get the aircraft with some scenery. A more detailed version may come at some point.

:smt006
Please visit my YouTube channel @ https://www.youtube.com/user/daledelboy
asdro
Major
Major

Post by asdro »

So do you mean by a detailed version also for FS9?
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

What Dale is saying asdro, is that once he has completed work on the Saudi aircraft, he will return to his FSX scenery. He has made no commitment to go past the "lite" stage and there is no commitment at all to offer a better FS9 scenery than is already available.

You just have to accept that developers, particularly those with limited time will only wish to design for the sim they are using themselves, in whatever detail they want to tackle. Apart from that they can't test their work, on sims they don't have installed.

John
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Really good progress this week.

Gert has kindly provided me with alternative files for his Buchel and Schleswig sceneries that have the trees removed. They had a serious transparency issue and a very close drawing distance that was distracting when used in FSX and P3Dv4. With the new files, the German Tornado's now have scenery and flight plans for all 3 sim versions. With Giorgio's Ghedi air base also working in the 3 sim versions, that's 126 Tornado IDS/ECR's that can now be used that way. Once Dale has finished, I'll be able to check whether we can do the same for the Saudi aircraft. I'm optimistic that we will be able to.

Finally, I managed to paint all the current RAF GR4's, including the two new commemorative schemes that Tranquil has flagged, and test them all successfully in the 3 sim versions. I'm now going to set them up in my existing RAF Marham scenery for FS9 and FSX (should be OK in P3Dv4 too) so that I can include the flight plans in the GR4 packages. While I'm doing that, I might as well add the F-35B's. I don't know where they park (probably not on the HAS sites at this stage) and I don't have enough information or time to model the new buildings. It will at least get the F-35's operating though. I'm aiming to get the GR4 packages out first so that the scenarios remain current for a few months before these remaining Tornado's retire next year.

I'll post some screen shots of the aircraft in the sceneries once I have Marham sorted.

John
DaleRFU
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by DaleRFU »

Well I have finished off the RSAF Aircraft. I have sent them off to John along with the "Lite" scenery.

Image2018-11-18_18-21-46-594 by DaleRFU1, on Flickr
Image2018-11-18_20-39-21-16 by DaleRFU1, on Flickr
Image2018-11-18_20-43-0-225 by DaleRFU1, on Flickr
Image2018-11-20_19-19-17-12 by DaleRFU1, on Flickr
Image2018-11-18_20-39-53-814 by DaleRFU1, on Flickr
Image2018-11-20_23-41-0-312 by DaleRFU1, on Flickr
Image2018-11-20_23-42-20-366 by DaleRFU1, on Flickr
Please visit my YouTube channel @ https://www.youtube.com/user/daledelboy