The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Panavia Tornado

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: Panavia Tornado

Post by John Young »

Thanks Henk. Greg did ask me if I wanted to have a front page banner when I released the GR4's, but I thought I would do that once I have all the present day Tornado's packages in the Hangar. Just the German IDS/ECR's to package and I can do that.

John
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Joseph29 »

Is it OK if I combine all of the tornados into one aircraft folder? Or would it be better to keep them separate?
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

The answer to that question is in section 5 of the manual.

John
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FS9

Post by bismarck »

Hi Gents, the RSAF camouflaged are outstanding!
I think that the wrong FP have been packaged, at least for the FS9 version.
All the FP have all arrivals and departures time set at 00:00
Here an example:
AC#16,7510,54%,1Hr,IFR,00:00:00,00:00:00,300,F,0054,OEDR,00:00:00,00:00:00,300,F,0054,OEKM,00:00:00,TNG00:00:00,300,F,0054,OYMB,00:00:00,00:00:00,300,F,0054,OEKM,00:00:00,TNG00:00:00,270,F,0054,OYSN,00:00:00,00:00:00,280,F,0054,OEKM,00:00:00,TNG00:00:00,270,F,0054,OYSN,00:00:00,00:00:00,270,F,0054,OEDR,00:00:00,TNG00:00:00,300,F,0054,OYMB,00:00:00,00:00:00,300,F,0054,OEKM,00:00:00,TNG00:00:00,300,F,0054,OYAA,00:00:00,00:00:00,300,F,0054,OEKM,00:00:00,TNG00:00:00,250,F,0054,OYSN,00:00:00,00:00:00,240,F,0054,OEKM

Giorgio
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thanks Giorgio. The 4 Saudi traffic files for FS9 and FSX/P3Dv4 are indeed very much as you say. I'll need Dale to drop by and to tell me if I do in fact have the wrong files from him in the zips. They clearly need replacing in any case.

John
DaleRFU
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: MSFS

Post by DaleRFU »

I'll have to look tomorrow on this issue.
Please visit my YouTube channel @ https://www.youtube.com/user/daledelboy
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Some significant progress to report.

GR4 Misaligned intake nav lights

The mis-aligned nav lights on the FSX/P3Dv4 RAF GR4 intakes have been repositioned. The new models are too big to zip as an attachment to this post, but the original zip has been updated. Apologies, but please download again and extract the models and swap them for the ones you already have. This is the link:

https://militaryaiworks.com/download-ha ... p3dv4-jyai

Anyone downloading since 5pm yesterday will not need to do so again and the FS9 models are not affected.

Saudi FS9 traffic files

The problem flagged by Giorgio with the Saudi FS9 flight plans has also been corrected. It was the first time that I needed to convert traffic files backwards from FSX to FS9 format. Two things worked against me. Firstly, I didn’t have the latest version of AIFP and that meant Dale’s 5-week flight plans didn’t show and generated an error report. Secondly, I wasn’t aware that FS9 won’t accept 5-week plans. Consequently, although they were functioning correctly, only 1 week was displaying and that left a shortage of aircraft. My thanks to Steve for re-working the plans for me. The FS9 zip has been updated and there is a new set for FS9 in the attachment to this post. The FSX/P3Dv4 plans in the original zip work fine.

German packages

I also uploaded the German Tornado packages for inclusion in the Download Hangar this morning. I’m grateful to Gert for all his efforts in producing his Buchel and Schleswig AB sceneries and to Giorgio for the flight plans, all of which are included in the FS9 and FSX/P3Dv4 zips:

The packages are called:

• JYAI Panavia Tornado IDS and ECR’s, Luftwaffe, for FS9
• JYAI Italian Panavia Tornado IDS and ECR’s, Luftwaffe, for FSX and P3Dv4

Next stage

Those uploads and the fixes puts me back in the position I was in 3 months ago when I had just finished the GR1 models for Manfred’s retro RAF Bruggen. It was a useful diversion into the modern Tornado’s although it was not what I set out to do, certainly not for all 3 sim versions. The great advantage of the new models, apart from being P3Dv4 compatible is the availability of several load-out options for each type and Air Force that were always missing in the FS9 FMAI Tornados. I still have the 5 German test aircraft to paint at Manching, but my next priority, apart from Christmas, is to paint the 40 or so GR1’s for Bruggen and again for Honington.

John
Attachments
Replacement_Traffic_Saudi_Tornados_FS9.zip
(25.71 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
Wojtek
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by Wojtek »

John Young wrote: 18 Dec 2018, 09:38 German packages

I also uploaded the German Tornado packages for inclusion in the Download Hangar this morning. I’m grateful to Gert for all his efforts in producing his Buchel and Schleswig AB sceneries and to Giorgio for the flight plans, all of which are included in the FS9 and FSX/P3Dv4 zips:

The packages are called:

John
I can not find those Luftwaffe Tornado's.
Maybe I'm getting ready too early? :)
wojtek
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

Wojtek wrote: 18 Dec 2018, 11:35
John Young wrote: 18 Dec 2018, 09:38 German packages

The packages are called:

John
I can not find those Luftwaffe Tornado's.
Maybe I'm getting ready too early? :)
wojtek
Be patient...

Giorgio
Wojtek
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Wojtek »

bismarck wrote: 18 Dec 2018, 12:50
Be patient...

Giorgio
Sono molto paziente :wink:
RKE
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by RKE »

Thanks for the updates John, much appreciated. Also looking forward to the German Tornados and Schleswig AB.
Wojtek
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Wojtek »

Thanks for the Christmas gift - Germany Tornado's.
I found one error in the directory "Texture.IDS_Germany_Buchel_46-05". There are files: JYAI_Tornado_loadout_German_t - Copy.dds and JYAI_Tornado_t - Copy.dds. You need to change these names to JYAI_Tornado_loadout_German_t.dds and JYAI_Tornado_t.dds.
Best regards and happy holidays
wojtek
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thanks wojtek for spotting that. I need to slow down when converting textures, but I thought I checked every folder. Sorry about that.

John
hschuit
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by hschuit »

John, Martin Gossmann made a geat tool to edit, validate, maintain & mass-update AI Aircraft: AI-Aircraft Editor.NET V.3.
It reports lots of issues like typo's in the Aircraft.cfg and wrong texture / model names.
You can find it in the Owl's Nest download - tools section. It helps me a lot to validate the FSX/P3D conversion packages.

Henk.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thanks Henk. I do have Martin's program, but it won't detect the two copy textures because the correctly named files are also in the folder. It's the zip that has the copy files only and is in error. I needed to have scanned the unzipped files in a temporary folder. I'll do that next time.

John
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel

Post by TheFoufure »

I would like to say a big THANKS to John for this great AI model (all versions and country), and for all his other realisations for our community of Flightsimmers (FS9/FSX/P3D).

It's always a pleasure to see his new release.

It's a lot of work, always do in his free time, and free. We must respect that, and say thanks..

Thanks a lot John.
jgowing
Captain
Captain

Post by jgowing »

Yes, well said. Outstanding work from John as always.

Jon G
Dinga69
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Dinga69 »

John, many thanks for these latest beauties and all the other packages you've provided us with over the years!!

While doing a little AI Spotting at Marham in P3DV4 I noticed that there didn't seem to be any reheat effect on take-off. Rather than burden you with investigating, I opened one of the models in MCX and noticed in the attached objects editor that fx_f16_ab is used. This doesn't seem to be there in the default effects directory, however, fx_f16_ab_f4 is. By copying this file to the desktop, renaming to fx_f16_ab and copying the same file back to the effects folder seems to be a workround, rather than editing all those models!! It does seem to light and extinguish too early (when taxying into takeoff position and extinguishing around the time the gear is retracted), but at least it's working! I also looked at the default Tornado AI model in MCX which uses multiple effects files for the reheat, but guess this would be a lot of rework for something that's not seen that much!!

By the way, it was mentioned earlier in this thread that there's a sound package available somewhere for the old FMAI models, could you point me in the right direction please?

Again, many thanks for all you do for the community and wish you and all the members here a Merry Christmas!!

Kev
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thanks everyone for your kind comments.

Kev,

Which Tornado models are you referring to? None of them should be using fx_f16_ab, a) because we have no permission to use it and b) because, as you have discovered, the light up is too early. Thats' why I produced fx_JYAI_Tornado_AB_IDS.fx and fx_JYAI_Tornado_AB_GR4.fx, to overcome both problems. For P3Dv4 the appropriate effect is embedded in the models, for FS9 and FSX it is called by the aircraft.cfg files.

Let me know what you are referring to and I'll check the models. Can't help with the ai_sound package I'm afraid.

John
Dinga69
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Dinga69 »

Thanks for the quick reply John - I'm only using the Marham P3D package at the moment in P3D v4.4 with fx_JYAI_Tornado_AB_GR4.fx installed. A quick look in MCX attachment editor shows that the fx_f16_ab.fx is called for. I'll try renaming the fx_JYAI_Tornado_AB_GR4.fx file later on to see what happens - I'm guessing it will work, judging by my earlier test with the fx_f16_ab.fx file. All the P3D models call for the same effect in the package, according to MCX that is. I've attached a screenshot as a picture speaks a thousand words!! Just download the image and open it in any image editor to get a better look :?
Attachments
GR4 AB.jpg