The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

John Young AI Tornados not showing in FSX RAF Marham scenery

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
ConcordeBOAF
Captain
Captain
Version: FSX

John Young AI Tornados not showing in FSX RAF Marham scenery

Post by ConcordeBOAF »

Hi everyone,
I wonder if you can help me get the Tornados showing.
Many thanks
If you don't try you can never succeed, if you always try you succeed more.
Twitter: @Brandon71822792
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: John Young AI Tornados not showing in FSX RAF Marham scenery

Post by Firebird »

Welcome.
You kinda have to give us something to go on here, as you seem to be the first to experience issues.

What did you have in your system to start with and what have you done to try an introduce the Tonkas?
Steve
maverick69
Major
Major

Post by maverick69 »

take advantage of this thread to report a small issue using FSX Marham airport scenery in p3dv4
Attachments
screen1.jpg
- Maurizio C.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Sorry, I can't replicate that:

I'm assuming you have the FSX version of my RAF Marham installed in P3Dv4 and not the FS9 one.

The ground crew are effect files called by placement objects in the Groundcrew.bgl in the local Marham scenery folder. Check that you have the 8 Ground Crew fx files in your P3Dv4\effects folder and that the texture Ground Crew.bmp is in the effects\texture folder.

Is the problem only with this crew member or are all the ground crew inverted?

Anyone else have the same problem?

John
maverick69
Major
Major

Post by maverick69 »

Yes, I have the FSX version of your RAF Marham installed in P3Dv4 and all files you have mentionated are in the right folders. The issue seems common to the others groundcrew
Attachments
screen2.jpg
- Maurizio C.
hschuit
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Post by hschuit »

I use P3Dv4.4 and the Marham ground crew figures are OK.

Henk.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

That's strange because the scenery has been around for over 5 years in FSX and I haven't had the problem reported before. It's possible P3Dv4 doesn't like the technique, but it's fine in my version. I wonder if it's just a simple case of your GroundCrew.bmp texture needing flipping vertically?

Disable (re-name) the one you have in your P3Dv4\effects\texture folder and try the inverted one in the attached zip.

John
Attachments
GroundCrew,bmp_flipped.zip
(75.95 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
maverick69
Major
Major

Post by maverick69 »

It doesn't work. With the flipped texture doesn't appear anything
- Maurizio C.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I've just re-downloaded my RAF Marham package from the Download Hangar just to check that there's nothing wrong inside the zip. I re-installed the ground crew effect files and the texture into P3Dv4\effects and the two placement .bgl files into the Marham scenery folder. I then launched Marham and saw that the crews displayed perfectly.

Since I can't replicate the problem and we know the texture is the right way up, I'm not sure what else to suggest other than deleting the two ground crew files from the Marham\scenery folder and running without them.

John
maverick69
Major
Major

Post by maverick69 »

Hello John. Sorry for all the time I forced you to waste trying to solve this small issue. Also I tried to download and reinstall the package and I always got the same problem. I would like to ask you one last thing: in the scenario are all the eight types of groundcrew present? Because I saw only those two in the images. Perhaps there is some issue with the other six. However do not worry, it's really a small issue in a magnificent scenery. Best regards and good work with the Tonka. Maurizio
- Maurizio C.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Maurizio, it might be worth checking to make sure that you haven't got two versions of that Groundcrew.bgl active in your system.
It could be that one that is showing up is a different version to the one that John used for the scenery.
Steve
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Maurizio, there should be 8 different ground crew figures.

John
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by petebramley »

I checked my P3Dv4.3 Yesterday and all groundcrew appear to be correct.
Pete B
Retired and busier than ever !!
maverick69
Major
Major

Post by maverick69 »

The only others Groundcrew files are those in the MAIW_Global folder installed by Matrix. I have tried to remove those files in the main effect folder (keeping those in MAIW_Global folder) and doesn't appear anything. When I have tryed to remove those in the MAIW_Global folder (keeping those in the main effect floder) appear those flipped again
- Maurizio C.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I don't understand what the Groundcrew files are in the MAIW_Global_Folder? Since I don't have that folder I can't check. I don't know whether they conflict with the ground crew effect files for Marham or not, but I can't think why they should. The Marham ground crew are effects files.

Can anyone shed some light on this please?

Have you tried deleting both sets and re-installing the effects and texture from the Marham zip again?

John
hschuit
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by hschuit »

Sounds like there is some confusion. These ground crew figures require:

1. Marham_Groundcrew_obj.BGL ( = object library with 8 objects which have attachpoints for the effects files with the texture).
2. 8 effects files (fx_GroundCrew01.fx -> fx_GroundCrew08.fx), supported by 1 texture (GroundCrew.dds).

In my install, the BGL lives in the Marham\scenery folder, the .fx files are in the sim Effects folder, texture in Effects\texture.

I have the crew figures on the GroundCrew.dds texure upside down and they show correctly in FSX and P3Dv4.4.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Concur with all that, except that the effects texture in the Marham zip is a .bmp and is the right way up. That works.

Just noticed that my MAIW Global Object Library\texture folder has 5 GROUND_CREWE (1-5).dds files in it, but they have nothing to do with Marham. Are these the files you are referring to Maurizio? If they are, leave them alone.

John
maverick69
Major
Major

Post by maverick69 »

Sorted out! I have flipped the Groundcrew texture in the main effect texture folder and all goes right. The second set of groundcrew (fx + texture) is in the folder created by Matrix (my path is: J:\Program Files\MAIW\Military AI Works\MAIW_GLOBAL\MAIW_GLOBAL_EFFECTS ) and same here I have flipped the texture. Thanks to all for your kindly support
Attachments
screen3.jpg
- Maurizio C.
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

The 8 effect files and the bmp texture are indeed included in Matrix Global (MAIW_GLOBAL\MAIW_GLOBAL_EFFECTS). I can't find the exact source right away but it must have been distributed with another scenery since ACG Marham isn't in Matrix.

The GroundCrew.bmp isn't flipped, since it's a bmp texture, so the version in Matrix shouldn't provide any conflicts.
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

Ah, sounds a bit like an issue I got some months ago when I "portover" some of my older FS9 models. By doing this, I used the older extended bitmaps which were just compiled by DXTBMP. I wondered at the flipped textures - it was only when I duct them through image tool and compiled them, the textures were correct.
Not sure, but maybe one of those ground crew texture files where not compiled in that way inadvertently? The different count of textures may indicate that...But nice it works finally, Maurizio!
Regards, Manfred.