JYAI C-130J Specials

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Re: JYAI C-130J Specials

Post by Greg »

On a side note: with this release, John uploaded the 1500th file to our library. :smt103

We're also well underway to hit the 1,000,000 downloads mark this Summer.

RKE
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by RKE »

Thanks a lot John, Brent, Steve, and whomever else has been involved in the making of these.

Regarding the EC-130J package, if you're already messing with the AFD, you may wish to add a few more MIL_COMBAT spots, as the airport is also visited by F/A-18's from a variety of MAIW packages. Personally I found myself spending a few hours adding and trimming the parking, so my civilian AI traffic also had some space to park.

In addition to that, if other users are using the Orbx freeware Global Airport Pack, I'm pretty certain Harrisburg is one of the airports included, so you may wish to disable it to avoid issues (just search the Orbx folder for KMDT and rename the extension of the 4 files it finds from .bgl to .off).
Mark Fox
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Mark Fox »

Brilliant!

One question: is there supposed to be traffic file for the 8th SOS CV-22Bs? I have not found that traffic file in my searches.

Thanks to all who participated!
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Trevytt2004 wrote: 31 May 2019, 17:53 Hey there John....did you ever get round to modifying the prop spinner to much lighter tips...?

Trev
Trev, if you still think the 4-bladed prop tip rings are too dark, I can lighten them further and post an alternative version if you (or anyone else) wants them that way. This is only for the H's and U's.

On the subject of painting, the one thing I haven't done yet is test the texture mapping for a camouflage pattern. I'm going to ask Mins in the first instance (since The Republic of Korea has camouflaged C-130J-30's and I know Mins can paint) if he would like to try it as a test. I can then change the mapping if necessary before the paint kit is released generally.

John

PS: Mins has kindly agreed to do that and I have sent the paint kit to him.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Mark Fox wrote: 01 Jun 2019, 04:45
One question: is there supposed to be traffic file for the 8th SOS CV-22Bs?

Sorry about that. Indeed there is, but unfortunately the file is missing from both the FS9 and the FSX/P3Dv4 zips. The two versions are in the attached zip. I'm grateful to Steve for adding them to the uploads so users downloading from this point on, won't need the fix.

John
Attachments
Traffic_8th SOS CV-22Bs.zip
(14.05 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
volador
Captain
Captain
Version: FS9

Post by volador »

Many thanks!
Miguel
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by petebramley »

I think I have found a very small problem with the U28A's in the FSX package.

the following textures are incorrectly named:
texture.usaf_319_07-0779
texture.usaf_319_07-0793
texture.usaf_319_08-0519
texture.usaf_319_08-0581
texture.usaf_319_08-0646

The main textures are named AIG_PC12.dds, AIG_PC12_l.dds instead of AIG_U28A.dds, AIG_U28A_l.dds

This will cause those aircraft to show up Black in the sim but its a quick & easy fix to rename the textures. Everything else looks stunning so far. Another splendid collaboration and much appreciated here.
Pete B
Retired and busier than ever !!
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

Awesome!
Thanks John and Brent.
Also to me, the 4-bladed prop tip rings are too dark. Better if you can lighten them further, otherwise we can live with it. :wink:

Giorgio
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

petebramley wrote: 01 Jun 2019, 13:58
The main textures are named AIG_PC12.dds, AIG_PC12_l.dds instead of AIG_U28A.dds, AIG_U28A_l.dds
These aircraft are not on the U28 model. They are on the normal_winglet model. That's why their textures are named differently. You will need both of the models due to the variety of airframe configurations the USAF uses.

Those aircraft also have different window configurations and light maps.
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by petebramley »

Thanks Brent I got myself confused (easily done). I thought that as they were all titled U28A then they should all be for that model and so changed those 5 marked "normal_winglet" to fit in. Now sorted, many thanks.
Pete B
Retired and busier than ever !!
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

Don't worry, I got myself turned around many times making them. As far as I can tell, every USAF U-28 started life as a nearly factor standard PC-12, then over the years the were modified either individually or in small groups to meet mission needs. As a result, some still look nearly factory standard and some are a wild collection of lumps and bumps.
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

Found a problem with the MC-130H and the AC-130U, at least in FS9.
Relevant "Title=" rows for these AC in the aircraft.cfg, end with a space. This doesn't let the aircraft to be showed. The "Title=" row can't finish with a space. (If I remember right, it also can't cointain a , (comma).
In attach, the corrected aircraft.cfg

Giorgio

To everyone who has downloaded this replacement file, please delete it and use the one in the downloaded zip. Giorgio's replacement one will cause the MC-130s at Hulburt not to show and will cause a duplication in aircraft.cfg entries with the Elizabeth City HC-130J's.

See below for an explanation.

John
Last edited by Greg on 02 Jun 2019, 11:52, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Attachment deleted
rav707
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by rav707 »

Maybe a dumb question, but in reference to the JYAI_Hurlburt_Field package, where can I find the CV-22 8th SOS flight plans?.
They don't seem to be in the Package, only the textures are there.
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel

Post by TheFoufure »

rav707 wrote: 02 Jun 2019, 02:22 Maybe a dumb question, but in reference to the JYAI_Hurlburt_Field package, where can I find the CV-22 8th SOS flight plans?.
They don't seem to be in the Package, only the textures are there.
The answer is some posts above... ;-)
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

bismarck wrote: 01 Jun 2019, 17:32 Found a problem with the MC-130H and the AC-130U, at least in FS9.
Relevant "Title=" rows for these AC in the aircraft.cfg, end with a space. This doesn't let the aircraft to be showed. The "Title=" row can't finish with a space. (If I remember right, it also can't cointain a , (comma).
In attach, the corrected aircraft.cfg

Giorgio

That's really thrown me Giorgio. This is what I found this morning when I re-tested Hurlburt Field in FS9:

1. With my original files in place, 16 of the MC-130J's, MC-130H's and MC-130U's were all present on the ramp as they should be on a Sunday afternoon.

2. When I switched your amended aircraft.cfg file for mine, none of the aircraft showed.

3. To be absolutely sure I downloaded the FS9 Hurlburt zip and replaced my aircraft.cfg file and traffic files with the ones in the zip. The 16 aircraft were on the ramp.

4. I then looked at your amended file. It's not the one I uploaded. It looks like an earlier composite development version because it still has the Elizabeth City HC-130J's in it. The uploaded Hurburt aircraft,cfg file has them split out into a separate Elizabeth City package, but it has the last minute FDE changes that Steve made a few days before Greg made it available.

I'm probably missing something because I have so many C-130's swimming around my head at the moment, but where did the file you posted come from?

John
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

My fault John.
I've uploaded the wrong aircraft.cfg. That is the one I've created because I've merged all the C-130 in one directory (not the J-30)
I usually use an Excel file that help me create both the aircraft.cfg and the aircraft.txt for FP, to test if all it's ok.
Copying from the original cfg into excel, it copies also the space at the end of the Title= row. This caused the problem on my setup.

At the end, there are no problem.
Sorry to have created confusion. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Giorgio

P.S. for administrators: Can you please delete the file attached in my previous post' Tks.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I've added a warning to your post Giorgio and a note that those that have downloaded the file should restore the original from the downloaded zip. The post needs to stay, but the attached file needs to be deleted (I couldn't do that).

John
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I looked again at several photos of the static 4-bladed prop tips on the USAF AC-130U's and the MC-130H's, Some appear black and others grey. That being so, you can now take your pick:

The blacks are already in the downloaded zips and the greys are in the attached zip (FS9 and FSX/P3Dv4 in the same zip). Swap them over if you wish.

I'll use the grey for future models of this kind.

John
Attachments
Alt 4-bladed black tip prop textures.zip
(260.6 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

John Young wrote: 02 Jun 2019, 10:12 The post needs to stay, but the attached file needs to be deleted (I couldn't do that).
Attachment deleted. There seems to be a bug in the forum code causing the attachments list to be hidden in edit view.
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

I think I may have found a error in the Hurlburt package that may cause problems with the Osprey's. In the atc_parking_types= line you have RAMP MIL COMBAT. I think it should be one or the other. Plus instead of MIL COMBAT it should be MIL_COMBAT (it's missing the under score line).

And these new C-103's are FABULOUS!! Thank you to all involved.