The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

JY Hunter single-seat FSX model

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

JY Hunter single-seat FSX model

Post by TimC340 »

John, I just came across this while rationalising some of my AI stable and checking what works in P3Dv4 using Martin's AI-Aircraft Editor.NET; the FSX single-seat Hunter model has its canopy opening via a lateral slide rather than a longitudinal one. A little inconvenient for the pilot - I used to struggle enough getting out of the thing with the conventional opening! I quite understand if you don't want to revisit it. Maybe I'll try and work out how to edit animations one day...
Attachments
Hunter F58 Canopy Error.JPG
Hunter F58 Canopy Error.JPG (20.76 KiB) Viewed 1692 times
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: JY Hunter single-seat FSX model

Post by Firebird »

How does it actually look in game?
The reason I ask is that there is at least one chopper that shows the main rotor as being vertical through the fuselage in AIAE.
Steve
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Good question, Steve. I'm not entirely sure where I have Hunters flying in-game! It takes over an hour to load my P3Dv4, and then about 30-40 minutes to change location, so it may take a while to find out (yes, I know I can interrogate the traffic files to give myself a shortcut!).
hschuit
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by hschuit »

Nothing wrong with the JY Hunter canopy. Sometimes animations are just not shown correctly in the model viewers in MCX and AI-Aircraft Editor.NET. You should always check in the sim before claiming there is a problem.

Henk.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Tim, I do know what you mean. When I am testing an fde/aircraft I always rename my Aircraft folder to Aircraft_Full and create a new Aircraft folder and just copy in what I need.
It loads a helluva lot faster. You don't need to worry about scenery or traffic files just the aircraft. A useful tip if you need to check out a specific aircraft or even a new package.
Steve
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Yes, gotcha Steve. I do think I need a vanilla installation of P3D to check stuff like this. When v5 comes out I’ll bite the bullet and buy (yet) another copy so I can do just that. I do have v3 on another computer, but of course that’s not great for checking v4 compatibility. Of course, I could stop trying to load the entire world each time I fire P3D4.5 up; around 2Tb of ‘stuff’ does slow the whole thing down somewhat!
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

hschuit wrote: 24 Apr 2019, 18:48 Nothing wrong with the JY Hunter canopy. Sometimes animations are just not shown correctly in the model viewers in MCX and AI-Aircraft Editor.NET. You should always check in the sim before claiming there is a problem.

Henk.
Cheers, Henk - good to know. I’ll take care not to have such a hair-trigger reaction in future!
miljan
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by miljan »

This issue is appearing from time to time . Depends how animations and parent part are set . Had that with my Super galeb but changed it to look better.
VIVA LA VIDA
delta_lima
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by delta_lima »

Hello all,

A really dumb question, but I can't John's FSX RAF Hunters anywhere. I see his RN T8, T8M, GA11, etc. But where would I find single-hole and especially two-hole Hunters for FSX, assuming he made them for that sim?

In particular, I'm building out a retro RAF Valley 1975ish era, with the red/white 4FTS scheme. Derek Taylor did some paints for the FS2004 JY model, and in a pinch/if they work, should be able to put them onto the FSX models, their .bmp files notwithstanding. Since running P3Dv4.5, though, I can't use any FS9 models, so hence why I'm looking for JY RAF Hunters, if available.

Thanks!

dl
Quaere verum - Seek truth
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

There were released on Flightsim.com, if you search for acg_hunters_raf_x.zip you will find them.
Steve
delta_lima
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by delta_lima »

Firebird wrote: 09 Feb 2022, 20:41 There were released on Flightsim.com, if you search for acg_hunters_raf_x.zip you will find them.

Thanks,

Got them now - much appreciated! Will those Derek Taylor FS9 paints work in an P3Dv4.5 environment?

dl
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Yes they will, but you're best off converting them to DDS using DXT Bitmap (https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads ... ap-editor/).

If you're using P3Dv5.2 or later you may need to run the models through MCX to update them to P3Dv4.4 format. I was playing about with HalFar, Aden and El Adem over the last couple of days, and wrote some test plans for the GA/FR11s and T8s, but the FSX models didn't appear until I ran them through MCX (which worked perfectly with no tweaking). I also got the Jens Kristensen's Hastings and Britannia, and Manfred Hahn's Beverley running as AI which was quite fun, but the FDEs need a bit of work for AI!
delta_lima
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by delta_lima »

Thx.

Spent the evening teaching my self how to, and converting Derek’s FS9 textures to DDS, and after some tweaks to a few flight plans, now have some healthy levels of RAF/ RN FAA Hunter action at Valley, Yeovilton, and some other spots. For my P3DV4.5 setup, it’s all it took to look pretty good.

Thanks John et al for what is still an excellent set of AI models.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

It would be great to see some 2k or even 4k textures for these lovely aircraft; some of the older ones are a bit 'fuzzy' in P3D. I'm rubbish at aircraft painting, but I might have a go if I can find some time. I need to do the 2TWU FGA9s that I flew at Lossiemouth in 1979!
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Tim, do happen to have the serial numbers of the 2TWU FGA9's circa 1979? That's the whole squadron, not just the two you are interested in. If you do, I'll gladly paint them for you in a higher resolution.

John

PS: I've found 15 serial numbers just by looking at photos on the net. 4 were lost unfortunately and one is a T7. I could work with a selection of what I've found, if you have nothing better.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Let me trawl my logbook, John. There were, if I remember rightly, a massive 36 aircraft on 2TWU, and I didn’t fly all of them by any means. All the single seaters were FGA9s, but the T-birds were a mix of T7s and T8s of various provenances. In my time, none of them had any unit markings as 2TWU didn’t get any shadow squadron identities until it moved to Chivenor, when of course it became a Hawk unit and the Hunters retired.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Hi John

these are the serials of the Hunters I flew at 2 TWU in late 1979.

FGA9

XE552
XE597
XE624
XE649
XF419
XF431
XF445
XF476
XF511
XG207
XG291
XK138

T7/8

XF310
XL569
XL572
XL576
XL593
XL595
XL618
XL619
XX466

We recorded all 2-seaters as T7s. XX466 had been a Saudi and Jordanian T70, hence the out-of-sequence registration (it started life as T7 XL620, under which guise my Dad flew it at Coltishall), and it was notable for having Buccaneer/Lightning style instrumentation. As we never flew the T-birds solo, we weren't required to have a P1 clearance on them, so I didn't take too much notice of the differences in the others. We had a few T7s that had the ability to tow a gunnery target as well, but I can't remember if that meant any external differences. For all the good memories I have of flying the jet, I was only on it for 4 months between early September and Christmas 1979.

It's very kind of you to offer to do them but, as I say, they are a bit uninteresting as they had no unit markings so I wouldn't think they'll have any wide appeal!

Cheers

Tim
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thanks Tim. I have found 9 of the 12 FGA9 tail codes and 3 of the 9 T7 codes. Is it OK if I guess the rest?
Cheers,
John
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Of course.

There was quite a lot of aircraft swapping with 1TWU at Brawdy. Other than the fact that no F6s ever came north, it’s quite likely that many serials would have done time at both TWUs - and also on 45/58 Sqns at Wittering (up to 1976). I’m not sure why they decided not to give 2 TWU any shadow Sqn numbers or unit markings.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I seem to recall at the time that 2TWU was considered a short term thing, maybe that is the reason why.
When it came to having to plan moving it to Chivenor there was the realisation that maybe it was so short term after all.
Steve