The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

JYAI Jet Provost and Strikemaster

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

JYAI Jet Provost and Strikemaster

Post by John Young »

Carrying on from the "thoughts on the next project" thread, here are the Jet Provost T5A's, T5B's and two Strikemasters. I'm using the period 1990-1993 for the paint schemes, at least for the RAF aircraft:

These examples are complete with LODs for FS9 and FSX/P3Dv4 and specimen paints. Next job is to see what scenery is available to accommodate the aircraft, hopefully in all 3 sim versions. Once I know that, I can duplicate the textures and aircraft.cfg entries with the individual serials numbers for each squadron and have a go at some flight plans.

John
hschuit
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Re: JYAI Jet Provost and Strikemaster

Post by hschuit »

Just lovely, seeing these images made my day!

Henk.
paul64
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by paul64 »

Wow John, carry on at this rate and you'll be the one stop shop for military ai
DaleRFU
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: MSFS

Post by DaleRFU »

They look absolutely stunning, I say it every time you make a new aircraft but these are next level beautiful.
Please visit my YouTube channel @ https://www.youtube.com/user/daledelboy
asizi
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by asizi »

Great work! :shock: :D
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Thanks John, a really welcome addition to the AI skies. PM sent
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

ref scenery, RAF Little Rissington, RAF Linton-on-Ouse, RAF Leeming, RAF Brawdy and RAFC Cranwell are available
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
jimrodger
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FS9

Post by jimrodger »

Awesome work as always, many, many thanks for all your projects.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

"When all else fails, and your AI doesn't show up...... check the AI slider.......DOH!!!!"
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

They look absolute awesome, John! So very much appreciated.
Cheers,
Martin
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

VulcanDriver wrote: 08 Dec 2019, 12:26 ref scenery, RAF Little Rissington, RAF Linton-on-Ouse, RAF Leeming, RAF Brawdy and RAFC Cranwell are available

As are Church Fenton, Dishforth, Barkston Heath and Topcliffe. Manby and Strubby are also available for 1970s enthusiasts. I've done my own St Davids. I haven't found {or made} a good FSX/P3D Finningley in 1980s/90s fit.

Great stuff, John - looking very good indeed.

Edit: a couple of other JP bases I didn't mention in my first post on this thread: Hullavington, Shawbury and Syerston. Lindholme was Finningley's RLG in the 70s too.
SeanG
Captain
Captain

Post by SeanG »

Hi John,
The Kiwi "Blunties' look awesome!

Just for some reference,

http://www.adf-serials.com.au/nz-serial ... master.htm

So if you wanted to select active airframes from a specific era....

Even though you don't need them I now have the NZDF Official Paint and Stencil guide from the Central Museum of the RNZAF if you are interested?

On the scenery angle... I will pull out my Ohakea scenery and see what needs doing to it to make it releasable. It is for FS9, but uses libraries which are available in FSX format...

Sean
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thanks Sean, that was the serial number document I found. I'll make use of that.

The paint and stencil guide would still be useful. I have only the master paint at this point and that can be changed if I need to quite easily and better before I do the 16 paints rather than afterwards.

John
Delboy99
Captain
Captain

Post by Delboy99 »

They look absolutely stunning. Thank you John.
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

Wow wow wow! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Regards, Manfred.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thanks everyone for your kind comments.

The 4 RAF airfields required for the T5's I've produced are: Cranwell, Linton-on-Ouse, Church Fenton and Finningley.

Cranwell is fine with the ACG scenery in all 3 sim versions (P3Dv4 just needed the taxiway viz tweak). Linton and Church Fenton should be fine too with the existing Yorkshire Airfields scenery after Martin sends me some converted files.

The problem I think is Finningley for the Mk5B's (the models with tip tanks). So far I've found nothing freeware. Not even the version I produced back in 2002 for that sim version will work in FS9, never mind FSX and P3Dv4. There is a pay-ware version available for £9.30 from SDB, set in the 1960's, for FSX and P3Dv4 however.

So, question - does anyone know of any freeware scenery of RAF Finningley that we can make use of please? I have most of the model objects to make it (standard RAF structures), but I don't really want to go down that route unless I really have to.

John
hschuit
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by hschuit »

John/Martin: I just copied the P3Dv4 version of Linton EGXU into John's personal FTP folder. It is a conversion of the FS9 Yorkshire airbases package I made earlier this year for the Matrix, it has reworked object libs and P3Dv4 dynamic spotlights.

Henk
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

John, have a look here:

https://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?C ... LID=156486

From mobile hence short

Cheers,
Martin
Colonel

Post by TheFoufure »

Great design. One more tima, a good job from John. Thanks a lot for your productions. This aircraft is not in my favorite, and not in the time line I use on FS9, but it's always a pleasure to see your fine job. Congratulations.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

For those people that like adding little touches of realism, especially for those that have multi-week flightplans, I shall share a lit bit of info with you.

For fast jet fighters, at least, every year CFS would send a JP5 to each RAF fighter sqn for a week so that the pilots could practice spin recovery. Very important for aircraft like the F-4 and Lightning where you were not allowed to spin for practice.

The rules for the F-4 were that if you had not started the recovery by 15000' AGL then you were to punch out. Flight sims in those days did not have visuals so you couldn't practice in there.

Spinex sorties were jolly good fun but of course the JP5 was a training aircraft so in reality it bore no resemblance, from what i have been told, to a spin in the fighters. For example, the F-4 had a high probability of entering a flat spin rather than a normal one. These are particularly visual and difficult to recover from. The SOP for the F-4 was to pull the chute to drop the nose into a normal spin and then recover.

I believe the same was done for Tornado F3 sqns but can't say for certain. I also don't know whether the same held true for mud moving sqns.

It really is amazing what you can still remember from 40 years ago.
Steve
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thanks Martin, I'd forgotten about Dale's AFCAD file for my RAF Finningley, but having now set it up, I'm quite underwhelmed by what I did back then, 17 years ago. It was probably one of the first design exercises I ever did. It's not really fit for purpose in FS9 today and is problematical in FSX because it's full of SCASM code. It certainly won't work in P3Dv4. I'm seriously thinking about putting something better together. I can use the AFCAD and I have many of the buildings made in Gmax to a much higher standard.

Henk, Linton-on Ouse works brilliantly in P3Dv4, thank you. Did you also convert Church Fenton, which is also needed? Also in the package is Dishforth and Topcliffe. Those will be useful to send traffic to. Is it possible the whole package can be uploaded to the Hangar please for non-Matrix users? I can then provide a link to it in the JP manual.

John