The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

C-130J-30 models

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
johanfrc
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

C-130J-30 models

Post by johanfrc »

Hey all.

I've been looking for a model for FSX/P3D that contains the following:
No fueltank, no fuel pin over the cockpit and no light stripes on the tail and fuselage?

I've found that the Danish Air Force don't have any of these features on their C-130J-30's, but from what I've seen until now, all the models made for the C-130J-30's have at least one of the features above.

It really looks like a C130H-30, but have 6 propellers blades instead of the 4 on the C-130H.

Could this be a new model made at some point, or does this already exist somewhere in all those various variations that have been made?
jetrange
Captain
Captain
Version: FSX

Re: C-130J-30 models

Post by jetrange »

John has made 3 models of the C-130J-30. There's the version for the USAF, the one for the Canadians, and the one for the RAF. There are also textures of the Danish Js released back in January.

Danish Paints: https://militaryaiworks.com/download-ha ... force-jyai
johanfrc
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by johanfrc »

It's all correct, but none of them are like the Danish one. The Danish is unique, compared to the rest. All the US ones have the light on tail and fuselage and if they don't have the light they have fuel tanks. The Danish don't have any of that. The Canadians have fueltanks and/or lights. Again. The Danish don't have that. The RAF have fueltanks and/or lights and/or the fuel pin. But the Danish don't have that.

The Danish is 100% clean from all that stuff. So it is actually quite boring regarding that:
https://www.airplane-pictures.net/photo ... -hercules/

The 3 other Danish ones are identical to the above (except the registration). And as you can see, there are no lights on the fuselage or tail, no refuelling pin and no fuel tanks on the wings.

The reason is that I've made 2048x2048 repaints for the Danish Air Force planes. Which I finished before I saw the other Danish Air Force paints.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

johanfrc wrote: 05 May 2020, 20:22 It really looks like a C130H-30, but have 6 propellers blades instead of the 4 on the C-130H.

Could this be a new model made at some point, or does this already exist somewhere in all those various variations that have been made?
Sorry, I really want to carry on with S-92A modelling. I don't want to keep breaking off to do yet another C-130 variation.

John
jetrange
Captain
Captain

Post by jetrange »

Most of the J-30 models don't have wing tanks, it's also shown on the picture included for the Danish paints.Regarding the refueling pin and slime bands; those parts can removed or swapped in the paint kits.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

I had a look at the RDAF paints and they are for FS9 only.
However there are a couple of useful things to glean from that pack. Firstly they say to use the CC-130J-30 model which does not have tanks nor does it have a refuelling probe. So that is your starting point.

Also for FSX/P3D versions the slime lights are separate textures, FS9 has to have them built in to the lightmap, so I think that just leaving out the slime.dds and slime_LM.dds will probably achieve what you are after.

Now the schemes themselves do not have the slimes on the tail but they do still have them on the fuselage.
So to make them accurate you do need to hope that jgowing either updates his schemes or you will have to amend them yourself using a tool like paint to carefully go over them with the same colour as the fuselage.

Now the other thing is that the schemes will only be in 1024x1024. However if that does not matter then they are convertable to dds.

This doesn't give you a finished article but hopefully it does help you out until somebody releases some new schemes.
Steve
johanfrc
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by johanfrc »

Thanks Firebird. Found the right model now (using P3Dv4 myself, so I'm on the FSX models and also have made 2048x2048 textures for my own use). Painted the "slime" texture (the light on the tail) in the same color as the rest of the plane. That way it's almost invisible, and by moving a bit around I managed to get the Danish flag in the almost correct position, so it's not goign to be placed below the light on the tail (slime)

One last question that I have yet to find out.

Below the cockpit windows there is a dark area (look at the attachment). Where on the paintkit is that area located? I want it to be the same color as the rest of the plane.
Attachments
cockpit window.png
jetrange
Captain
Captain

Post by jetrange »

On the Canadian paint kit, there's a little piece between the wings on the left with the number 617. That's is where the dark section bellow the windshield is located. The USAF paint kit doesn't have this piece.
jimrodger
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FS9

Post by jimrodger »

This should help

Jim
Attachments
2..JPG
1.JPG
1.JPG (22.43 KiB) Viewed 751 times
"When all else fails, and your AI doesn't show up...... check the AI slider.......DOH!!!!"
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

It's the area of the Canadian texture that maps the number to the nose:

Obviously, just change the colour to the rest of the airframe and paint out the number.

John
johanfrc
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by johanfrc »

Perfect. On the paintkit I was using there wasn't even a blank area there. So this really helps a lot!