The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Eurofighter Typhoon

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: Eurofighter Typhoon

Post by Firebird »

John Young wrote: 09 Jul 2020, 06:18 What are people using for Los Llanos (LEAB) and Sevill/Moron (LEMO) in each of the sim versions please?

John for LEAB I am using the scenery that came in the Spanish Mirage F1 package. For LEMO I am using Tim Mayhew's scenery, from his spanishafbversion6.zip package on fltsim.com.
Steve
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

Time to ask on the public forum.
After you guys will answer the question abouth the movie ... 17 shades of gray ... :roll:
(in the end, having looked at hundreds of photos, I think that the Average is the closest)

I have another question for you about sceneries.
ITAF Typhoon are based at five airports:
Gioia del Colle (LIBV) Done by me and available in both FS9 and FSX version
Trapani-Birgi (LICT) Done by James84 and my AFD. Available in both FS9 and FSX version
Pratica di Mare (LIRE) Done by John Stinstrom with some objects by Tim and my AFD, also available for FS9 and FSX.
John converted these for the AW-139 project.
Istrana (LIPS) Made by me. It uses the usual standard MAIW Libs. It won't be difficult to transform it for FSX as done for LIBV and LICT.
Someone want to do it?
Grosseto (LIRS) Done by John Stinstrom with my AFD. Have someone already transformed it for FSX or want to do it?

Regards, Giorgio
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

But you said in your PM Giorgio: "I agree John, go with M-346". That's the grey I used. Do you want me to paint the aircraft again but with "average" grey? What is the "average" closest to? If you know that, what is it?

Someone needs to check whether the FSX versions of your sceneries also work in P3D. It would be useful if you could post the links to enable that.

John
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by TimC340 »

I'm just having a look at converting LIRS to FSX. I'm missing the texture "fsx trees 9.bmp", which I cannot find anywhere and appears to be needed for quite a few of the object collectives. Apart from that (and an airfield photoreal background), I can probably have it done today.
GuentAir
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by GuentAir »

What do you expect? Austrias minister of defense was formerly chairwoman of the Farmers' Federation in Lower Austria and she changes her mind almost every hour :roll:

Firebird wrote: 08 Jul 2020, 20:41 So it has taken them about 3 years to realise that to replace them with something else will cost more money. What can you say?
Guenter Reisner

bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

John Young wrote: 09 Jul 2020, 10:20 But you said in your PM Giorgio: "I agree John, go with M-346". That's the grey I used. Do you want me to paint the aircraft again but with "average" grey? What is the "average" closest to? If you know that, what is it?

Someone needs to check whether the FSX versions of your sceneries also work in P3D. It would be useful if you could post the links to enable that.

John
About grey shade.
Yes I said that M-346 is good. Having you asked to other users an opinion on what grey is better and having looked at many photos, I now think that "Average" could be better and closest to the real. If you have already Painted many Aircraft with "M-346", I'm not asking to re-do all the job. Differences are really minimal.

Link for the sceneries is here:
https://militaryaiworks.com/download-ha ... -for-aw139

Hope to have cleared up and sorry for the confusion.

Giorgio
shaggy22
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by shaggy22 »

I can take whatever flightplans are left, I've been experimenting with P3D & FSX plans & doing them for multiple weeks so that maybe an option to do as well. That obviously won't work in FS9
Dan

"Cluster bombing from B-52s are very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground"

Twitter: @DRAviography
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DanReevesAviography/
miljan
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by miljan »

If we talk about my M346 they are painted with FS36280 and as a reference I used https://www.e-paint.co.uk.
VIVA LA VIDA
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Ray,

Feel free to paint the Spanish Typhoons. I've had a roam around the net and I think we can use the Italian models. Most of the Spanish Typhoons seem to carry IRIS-T's although I did see a few Sidewinders. A few were loaded with blue Paveways so no problem there. QRA seems to be 4 IRIS-T's and 4 AIM-120's, also not a problem.

Giorgio,

You said go with M-346 so I did, I wasn't seeking further input from the forum, just illustrating the problem in determining what shade of grey. Since there is no definitive answer and everything is subjective, I'll stick with M-346. That way at least, if one of those aircraft parks next to an Italian Typhoon, the paint won't look different. I'll be changing the fuselage numbers and some badging based on your latest advice.

Dan,

Thanks very much for your offer. I think Giorgio will be doing the Italian flight plans, which will leave the Spanish, German, UK and Austrian plans, unless Miljan wants to do the latter (only 14 aircraft). You really need to start with FS9 plans featuring all the available aircraft, then do a cut down version at a more realistic level. Having done that, both sets for each airfield can be converted for FSX/P3D.

I would avoid using 3 week plans because of the 3 sim versions. I'm not sure that UK Typhoons go visiting around the UK but generally fly out to waypoints, often over the North Sea, unless on QRA of course. Not sure about other nations though.

I obviously can't give you the complete sets of aircraft yet because they are not painted. I can though give you spreadsheets with the aircraft serial numbers that the painters are working from, but we are not yet at the point where we have complete aircraft.cfg listings for you to use. We can though change names later. One of the first tasks would be to compare current serials with those used in legacy MAIW flight plans so as many legs as possible can be re-used to save work.

Would you be interested in working that way please? You don't need to do them all of course, just start with one country and see how it goes.

John
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

Ok for me. I'll do the italian FP for FS9. If needed I can do also other country.

Giorgio
f4nutter
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by f4nutter »

Spanish Typhoons for me then :D
all the FS9 GAF are done and in my FTP John (no specials if you fancy a challenge !).
working on FSX-P3D now.
shaggy22
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by shaggy22 »

Roger that John,

I'll keep it simple for this one then, I'll take the RAF ones then unless someone else has their heart set on them. They tend not to go anywhere else except waypoints & their own base for touch & go's. I'll keep an eye on ADSB for some callsigns as well
Dan

"Cluster bombing from B-52s are very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground"

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Dan,
Purely a suggestion here. It doesn't need much imagination to assume that RAF ones rigged for AG work would use ranges rather than points out in the North Sea.
It was a few years ago that range waypoints were done but if you need help finding them just say and I am sure that a list can be retrieved quite quickly.

All you would need to do then is let John know which ones you have used for the AG role.
Steve
shaggy22
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by shaggy22 »

Firebird wrote: 09 Jul 2020, 20:06 Dan,
Purely a suggestion here. It doesn't need much imagination to assume that RAF ones rigged for AG work would use ranges rather than points out in the North Sea.
It was a few years ago that range waypoints were done but if you need help finding them just say and I am sure that a list can be retrieved quite quickly.

All you would need to do then is let John know which ones you have used for the AG role.
Yeah I had something like that in mind already to be honest. A list would be most useful to be honest if not just for the Typhoons either. The one thing I do need to work out is how often they do pairs work, seems like it's mostly solo but i'm planning a day at Coningsby soon so hopefully I can find that out from some of the regulars there.
Dan

John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Ray,

Well done and thank you. I'll need to create an aircraft.cfg file for the German Typhoons and associate your paints with it. Once I've done that I can create some screen shots to show people what you have done. That's unless you want to provide some shots yourself of course.

I'll pop a copy of the Spanish serial numbers spreadsheet in your FTP folder in the morning. I just want to check it over first.

Dan,

That sounds good. The only slight problem is that the RAF will probably be the last of the German/Austrian/Italian aircraft to be painted and assembled into an aircraft.cfg file. I've only just started on the Italians and want to get those to Giorgio before I start the RAF paints. That means that the load-outs are not yet allocated to serial numbers.

We could do it the other way round though. If you would like to create the flight plans and the aircraft.cfg entries with the load-outs that suit the plans, all I need to worry about are the paints, using your {fltsim.X} texture names.

Are you Dan_R on the FTP server please? If so, I'll pop a copy of the UK serials spreadsheet and the list of model choices.

John
shaggy22
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by shaggy22 »

John Young wrote: 09 Jul 2020, 21:27 Ray,

Well done and thank you. I'll need to create an aircraft.cfg file for the German Typhoons and associate your paints with it. Once I've done that I can create some screen shots to show people what you have done. That's unless you want to provide some shots yourself of course.

I'll pop a copy of the Spanish serial numbers spreadsheet in your FTP folder in the morning. I just want to check it over first.

Dan,

That sounds good. The only slight problem is that the RAF will probably be the last of the German/Austrian/Italian aircraft to be painted and assembled into an aircraft.cfg file. I've only just started on the Italians and want to get those to Giorgio before I start the RAF paints. That means that the load-outs are not yet allocated to serial numbers.

We could do it the other way round though. If you would like to create the flight plans and the aircraft.cfg entries with the load-outs that suit the plans, all I need to worry about are the paints, using your {fltsim.X} texture names.

Are you Dan_R on the FTP server please? If so, I'll pop a copy of the UK serials spreadsheet and the list of model choices.

John

There's no rush John, you can do them last if you wish so you don't have to change the plan. Gives me more chance to get some research done.

Yes that is me on the ftp folder
Dan

f4nutter
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by f4nutter »

cheers John, been messing about with the P3D side of things including a new alpha channel !
Attachments
RAYS-2020-jul-9-029.jpg
RAYS-2020-jul-9-027.jpg
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Ray,

Nice shots. Is that in P3Dv4 or P3Dv5?, not that I'm sure there will be any difference visually between the two versions.

It might be useful if I tried your new alpha channel in P3D too, although I'm still at P3Dv4. Would you drop a copy into your FTP folder please? I've just put the Spanish serial number spreadsheet in that folder for you.

Thanks for the FS9 paints. I've just copied them over. Providing the aircraft.cfg files was really helpful. Thanks for those too.

I've just seen a screen shot from Miljan of the first Austrian Typhoon. He's done a great job there too.

Dan,

No problem with timescales at all, whatever and whenever you can manage. I've put the RAF serial numbers spreadsheet in your FTP folder along with the aircraft.cfg file for the RAF aircraft. This only has 8 entries, not by serial number, but by model type that I used for testing. When you are ready, you can re-engineer the file into the usual format of serial number entries.

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

shaggy22 wrote: 09 Jul 2020, 20:25 Yeah I had something like that in mind already to be honest. A list would be most useful to be honest if not just for the Typhoons either. The one thing I do need to work out is how often they do pairs work, seems like it's mostly solo but i'm planning a day at Coningsby soon so hopefully I can find that out from some of the regulars there.
Dan, I can't speak about current Ops but I can give you a feel for what it used to be like back in the day when we had more than two dozen fighters.

For operational Sqns, they rarely flew as singletons.
Normally the only time they did was for air tests or instrument rating flights. Even in the days of more aircraft the sqns rarely had sorties in conjunction with other units. The exceptions back in the day were when we used the Canberras of 100 Sqn for silent targets or 360 Sqn for ECM work. The frequency was normally about 1 sortie a week for silents and 2 per month for ECM.

So normally they flew minimally as pairs, working alternately as singleton attacker and defender. Quite often they would fly as 3-ships so they could practice 2v1 and 1v2 intercepts. Very occasionally as 4 ships for 2v2.

Now the OCU used to have more singleton sorties, due to the nature of conversion training plus instructor training. 3-ship and 4-ship flights were far rarer and were normally for ACT part of the course.

For GA Sqns it was similar, except that I would suggest that 3-ships were very rare. Pairs and 4-ships were the norm as a big part of the role is the co-ordination of attacking targets with multiple aircraft. This included range work.

The one Sqn type that we didn't have in my time was the TES. I would imagine that a large proportion of 41 Sqns sorties would be solo.

There is one aspect that I don't know about. I do remember something about modern sims being able to integrate with the live ATC and AD environments. What I mean here is that a sim, or pairs of sims, could work with live airborne targets. So an actual pair could be part of a 4-ship mission.
Whether or not this capability is in place or used as the norm I couldn't say. nor therefore could I say how this affects current operations.

I hope this is if some use.
Steve
Garysb
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FSX

Post by Garysb »

Dan
I did all the original typhoon FPs, you may have to change some serials but most should be able to be adapted, you will have to add 12 squadron who are the Qatar trainers at Conningsby. I will have a look for the old range and waypoint afcads
Mind you the should be in the old Conningsby folder.

Gary
I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 -