The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Eurofighter Typhoon

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
shaggy22
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Re: Eurofighter Typhoon

Post by shaggy22 »

Thanks guys

I plan on redoing all the flight plans again, new aircraft deserve new flight plans I reckon. But I will definitely use the waypoints & ranges that have been done. I can probably work out which waypoint is which but if anyone knows as an absolute definite can someone write that down please. I don't particularly want to get them wrong & have QRA birds going to a range for example.

Steve:
Most insightful thank you, I'll have a feel for it when I get to Coningsby probably in late August but I'll keep an eye on facebook groups for both Coningsby & Lossie as well so I can get the gist of what's what.

John:
I'll be taking my time with them as I want to do the maximum amount of research possible, thanks for the serial list
Dan

"Cluster bombing from B-52s are very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground"

Twitter: @DRAviography
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DanReevesAviography/
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FS9

Post by bismarck »

John, I've almost finished the Aircraft.cfg for the italian, so I can start work on FP.

Giorgio
f4nutter
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by f4nutter »

screenshots were in P3Dv4 and alpha is in my FTP
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Giorgio, that's fine, thanks. When you have your aircraft.cfg file done, send me a copy and I'll match the texture names to the ones in your file.

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

News just out today.
Spain is to receive an extra 20x EF2000s with more orders expected later on to replace the EF-18 fleet.
Steve
f4nutter
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by f4nutter »

:roll:
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

It does seem that when everybody was trying to find a way out of contracts a few years ago that they were being a bit previous.
Steve
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Dan,
Something else I thought of.
Back in my day it was rare for flights on a Friday. Normally it was for flight tests and such like. The reason was to allow the Sqn engineers time to fix little niggles that had built up over the week so that we had max numbers of a/c for the Monday push.
Aircrew got Ground Training Friday. Any flying that was done was finished by midday for the reason stated.

The OCU was different in that there was more flying on Fridays, but it too was normally finished by midday. The extra nature of the flights was more of a catchup day for students.

This may or may not have altered with the switch to Wing centric maintenance in recent years.
Steve
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

To add to that, Steve, there is far less flying these days than there was back in our time. It’s not just for budgetary reasons; as you alluded to earlier, synthetic training plays a much greater part in a pilot’s timetable, and the multiplayer capabilities of the current sims are excellent so full tactical scenarios can be planned and flown in the synthetic environment. As you say, there are links across different types and roles, though the impression I got when I flew the Typhoon sim in 2017 was that the reality was less wonderful than the ambition! Also, they would have loved to have had MAIW and Orbx enhancements to their graphics...

The guys on 11 Sqn told me that they averaged around 170-190 hours a year in the air. In my time, nearer 300 would have been a typical fighter pilot’s lot.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Just wanted to say a big thank you to Ray.

He's painted 120 Luftwaffe Typhoons for FS9 without having the sim itself to see them. These are screen shots I took for him so people here can see what he has achieved:

He's now working on the FSX/P3D texture set before moving on to the Spanish.

It's great to be able to share the work, not just with Ray, for what is a very large project.

John
f4nutter
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by f4nutter »

ah ha thank you very much John :D
hawk_sh
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by hawk_sh »

Some points regarding the Luftwaffe repaints that caught my eye:

I recommend checking the color of the fuel tanks: they appear much too bright.
Also the panel lines on the tanks but also on the fuselage appear much too intense.
What is that black area on the bottom fuselage below the cockpit of the twoseater models?
The outer wing pylons look grey? On all the photos that I have seen they were blue like the rest of the aircraft.
On the left side of the fuselage there is usually a typical exhaust stain.

https://www.airfighters.com/photosearch ... 2171&pag=1
Hartwig

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/ind ... n-colours/

I can see what you mean about the tanks. I am wondering if the cause is that the tanks are all made by the same company and they just paint them one colour.

I know that it might be too late for some painters but I thought that I would post the link anyway. It is from a modelling site and they are very anal about getting colours correct. So it might be useful.

The first thing I noticed is that the initial listings of colours for the different arms was received from Eurofighter, and you would expect that to be absolute however somebody then seems to offer proof that they are not 100% correct.

I have read only the first page but they seem to concur that the Austrians are not the same scheme as the Germans, surprising in my mind, but maybe the same as the Spanish.

Anyway the link is at the top of this post and it may prove useful to trawl through as the title says that it has been updated with the correct Italian colours.
Steve
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

Double Ctrl+C - Ctrl+V Steve? :-):-):-)
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Hartwig,

Just a short thank you to Ray would have been good.

Ray and I have discussed the colour of the fuel tanks at length and we have decided to leave them as is. They can be changed without affecting the 120 textures, but it would mean making the weapons texture sheet specific to the German models by renaming the textures in the Gmax models.

The black area below the cockpit on the underside is the air gap on the nose wheel door.

The outer wing pylons are mapped to the weapons texture sheet like the tanks. They can only be changed if we dedicate the texture sheet.

The stain above the left wing exhaust is painted on the wing around the exhaust aperture.

The panel lines are as is. There's no way we are going to change the texture on 120 Typhoons.

Sorry about that, but I know Ray finished his paints at 02.25 this morning because that was the date stamp on his PM telling me so.

Please give him some credit for what he has managed to do.

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Thanks for the issue with my post, I had a lot of trouble trying to post the link and ended up doing all sorts of stuff to get it to work and goofed. :oops:

I read some more on the scheme colours and it seems that this subject seems to have been round and round the arena for some time. It seems that this argument is quite polarizing in that community.

Oh and not least - thank you, Ray.
Steve
shaggy22
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by shaggy22 »

Firebird wrote: 11 Jul 2020, 05:27 Dan,
Something else I thought of.
Back in my day it was rare for flights on a Friday. Normally it was for flight tests and such like. The reason was to allow the Sqn engineers time to fix little niggles that had built up over the week so that we had max numbers of a/c for the Monday push.
Aircrew got Ground Training Friday. Any flying that was done was finished by midday for the reason stated.

The OCU was different in that there was more flying on Fridays, but it too was normally finished by midday. The extra nature of the flights was more of a catchup day for students.

This may or may not have altered with the switch to Wing centric maintenance in recent years.
From what I saw yesterday on radar there was quite a bit of action until around 15:00 or so, I've logged their callsigns & serial as well I can find out which squadron it was, haven't done that yet. Not seen a damn thing out of Lossie yet
Dan

"Cluster bombing from B-52s are very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground"

Twitter: @DRAviography
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DanReevesAviography/
f4nutter
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by f4nutter »

this is the best thing about screenshots before final production, as stated above i could not see these textures in the sim so i was in the dark as to what they would look like,i use a model viewer to see my FS9 paints and its not 100% when it comes to detail, i WILL fix the 2 seater black area,aerials,and a slight blemish on the intake and as per the outer pylon its up to John if he wants to make a new weapons sheet then i will paint it (and its not completely blue it has light grey ends !), the colours are as is i'm affraid.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Don't be afraid, Ray. Its fine.
Steve
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

There's not much to fix Ray, you have it about right:

These are the fuel tanks on the real thing:

It's the same issue as the colour of an Italian Typhoon. The grey can span a huge range of tones depending on the photograph and the time of day. This screen shot was taken later in the day than the previous shots. The fuel tanks are more subdued:

The dark area under the fuselage that Harwig highlighted is not on the texture sheet. It's physically in the model. I read early on that the rear of the nose wheel door does not extend to the rear of the well. There's a fresh air gap (although it could be an aerial). You can see it in this photo:

If you felt the panel lines were too heavy, you could reduce the opacity for the FSX/P3D paints since you haven't done those yet. Again, it depends on how much light is falling on the model. I wouldn't re-do the 120 already done for FS9. Work with what you can see.

John