The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Eurofighter Typhoon

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
f4nutter
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Re: Eurofighter Typhoon

Post by f4nutter »

i am more than happy with the base colours and panel lines, i think the black Hartwig meant was under the forward canards if you look on the twin stick, anyway all 2 seaters have been updated and are in my FTP folder (JYAI Typhoon 11-07-20), John the only thing that hasnt been done are the pylons :D
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Ah, sorry about that. Missed that completely. I'm assuming that the blue-grey on that side didn't come down far enough. I'll check the replacement textures later this evening. I wouldn't worry about the pylons.

John
plumber
Captain
Captain
Version: FS9

Post by plumber »

Having been involved with aspects of design on Eurofighter, one of which was the Italian design of the SFT, the a/c paint finish according to the Spec should all be the same for all Nations involved in the design. Why the German a/c are a different colour is hard to understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Even if you were leaning against a Typhoon and observing the colour, it would depend on the time of day, the colour of the sky, the variable light on curved surfaces, how old and therefore how faded the paint was. Now add photos into the mix and you have those variables plus the characteristics of the camera and it's settings, never mind image processing and file type variables. That said the UK, Italian and German Typhoon paint does seem to vary significantly and the tones within those nations too. The Germans do have that blue tint and the Italians use a warmer grey than the UK it would seem. Not really studied the Spanish, but those I have seen are sometimes filthy dirty which also adds to the puzzle.

I think, as Steve suggested, the fuel tanks all seem to be the same colour, except the Austrians perhaps. I needed to change the weapons sheet for Miljan, who is painting them.

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Further to John's thoughts.

They may all be intended to be the same colour however there is one big variation here - national standards.
The first time that I became aware of this was in relation to the RAF F-4J(UK) aircraft. When the RAF ordered the 15x a/c to supplement their F-4 fleet the colours were given to the USN, who refurbished them. Barley Grey and Medium Sea Grey were the primary colours at that time for the FG1s and FGR2s.

Trouble is that the RAF/RN painted things using BSC numbers which the USN didn't have as they only use FS numbers. So they took the Barley Grey colour and matched it to the closest that they had which turned out to be called Flint Grey and the F-4J(UK)s were delivered in that which is why they looked so different to the others. At the time modellers and spotters convinced themselves that there was yet another new standard scheme but it was far more a mundane reason.

So if we actually expand this and add in the German RAL colour system you can see why possibly a standard scheme could be different in each case. I am not saying this is 100% correct, I am just saying that it would/could explain a lot.
Steve
jimrodger
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by jimrodger »

Nimrods had a similar number problem a few years ago nowImage

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

"When all else fails, and your AI doesn't show up...... check the AI slider.......DOH!!!!"
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Ray has now finished the 120 Luftwaffe Typhoons for FSX/P3D. Here's just a few of them in FSX:

The German airfield scenery (5 bases) is available for all 3 sim versions, so the last part of this package to be done is the flight planning. That can probably be achieved by making use of as much as possible of existing MAIW plans but changing the aircraft names to the new ones and testing them in the scenery.

Would anyone like to help out and take this on please?

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

They do look very nice.
Steve
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

They do indeed! Great job, Ray

From mobile hence short

Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

John Young wrote: 14 Jul 2020, 06:03 Ray has now finished the 120 Luftwaffe Typhoons for FSX/P3D. Here's just a few of them in FSX:

The German airfield scenery (5 bases) is available for all 3 sim versions, so the last part of this package to be done is the flight planning. That can probably be achieved by making use of as much as possible of existing MAIW plans but changing the aircraft names to the new ones and testing them in the scenery.

Would anyone like to help out and take this on please?

John
Great job Ray. About FP, don't forget that Germans often visit Decimomannu LIED... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Giorgio
Tranquil
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by Tranquil »

Not got the paint kit yet but had a go with one of Rays textures to see how easy some of the more difficult schemes would place. The mapping is spot on.

I think i did notice 1 little problem with the naming of Typhoon_Slimes .dds as you can see there is a space between the s & . the slimes wouldnt show until i amended it.

Much thanks

Mark
Image Image
The spice extends life. The spice expands consciousness. The spice is vital to space travel.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

That's fabulous Mark. If you would like to finish that one and also do any other Luftwaffe specials (if Ray is OK with that) I'll put a package together for you. Just tell what serials you need, to save me zipping everything at this stage.

With regard to the slimes, the models actual call the texture name with the gap in it and all the tests I've done so far always display the lights. I will however do a final check before release.

John
f4nutter
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by f4nutter »

Mark can do them if he wants to i really dont mind. if you could pre post what ones your going to do so we both dont do them :wink:
f4nutter
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by f4nutter »

does anyone know what font the Spanish use on there Typhoons ?
Tranquil
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Tranquil »

I made a custom font using USAF Armadilo and edited the 1 to make it like the Spanish Typhoon 1, i think the 1 is the only major difference isnt it?

I also have some hi-res hand made logos for Ala14

Much thanks

Mark
Image Image
The spice extends life. The spice expands consciousness. The spice is vital to space travel.
f4nutter
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by f4nutter »

i was using Amarillo USAF but like you say the "1" is the only difference.
do you want to share your ALA-14 and ALA-11 hi res logo's ?
you could put them in my FTP folder.
Tranquil
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Tranquil »

Ray, uploaded to your FTP Folder. Ive not done an Ala 11 badge but i can have one done by tomorrow.

Much thanks

Mark
Image Image
f4nutter
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by f4nutter »

thank you Mark, if you could make a ALA-11 badge that would be great.
Tranquil
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Tranquil »

In your FTP folder Ray.

Much thanks

Mark
Image Image
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

My thanks to Miljan for the next great contribution to the Typhoon project - the paints for the 15 Austrian Typhoons. In fact it's much more than that because he had already produced the scenery of their home base, Zeltweg (LOXZ), in the FS9 package featuring Nick's early Typhoon.

The scenery also works in FSX and when the objects are converted, in P3D also. The existing flight plans were easily adapted too to accommodate the new Typhoons. I thoroughly enjoyed taking the screen shots as a break from painting Italian Typhoons. Here are 10 from FSX:

I must admit to being a little worried by this curved approach to avoid the mountains on the extended runway centre line:

All credit though to the AI engine and Steve's FDE. The Typhoon did touch down fine although just to the left of the centre line.

Now back to painting Italian Typhoons.....

John