The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

JYAI KC-10A

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel
Version: FS9

Re: JYAI KC-10A

Post by TheFoufure »

At the end of 2021 the Royal Netherlands AirForce is withdrowing the final KDC-10 from operational service. By then the A-330 has to do what the KDC-10 was responsible for many years in RNLAF service :
A2A refuelling and Strategic Airtransport.

On the 25th of june the last KDC-10, T-235, made its final flight towards Afghanistan, where dutch troops were deployed.
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: P3D

Post by gsnde »

I love the blue white scheme!

From mobile hence short

Cheers,
Martin
Colonel

Post by TheFoufure »

Hello John,

A little question for this great new model : Can we hope a DC-10-30 version for Fire Fighting like the Very Large Air Tanker or VLAT DC-10-30 from 10 Tanker Air Carrier ?

Thanks a lot.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Nice suggestion Laurent and very topical at the moment. It also outranks Omega with 1 aircraft, while 10 Tanker have 4. After a little searching, I'm not clear where they are based though (Sacremento?), but we can find that out.

Yes I'll do those.

John

PS: Found them. They are at Albuquerque, New Mexico. You can see two of the aircraft clearly in Google Earth.
Viper810
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Viper810 »

i believe they are stationed on both sacremento and albuquerque. But i am not 100% sure.
System specs

I9-9900K
MSI RTX 2080
16 GB RAM
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel

Post by TheFoufure »

Viper810 wrote: 27 Jul 2021, 18:09 i believe they are stationed on both sacremento and albuquerque. But i am not 100% sure.
I find this info too
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel

Post by TheFoufure »

John Young wrote: 27 Jul 2021, 15:53 Nice suggestion Laurent and very topical at the moment. It also outranks Omega with 1 aircraft, while 10 Tanker have 4. After a little searching, I'm not clear where they are based though (Sacremento?), but we can find that out.

Yes I'll do those.
Good news !

Thanks John ;-)
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Quick question. Has anyone enhanced the Travis and McGuire scenery that's in the MAIW West Coast and East Coast C-17 packages with MAIW Global Objects please?

I'm at the point where all the FS9 KC-10A models and textures are in place, as will be the FSX/P3D ones by the end of the day hopefully. Steve has completed the flight plans and I can now see the numbered up aircraft in both sceneries. The scenery just looks a bit flat though and I was thinking of adding a few buildings myself, unless anyone has anything they could share please?

I know there might be other third party scenery of these two bases available, but that's not easy for me to change to get it working in all 3 sim versions, unless I seek author permissions.

John
bvanhout
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bvanhout »

There is an enhanced Travis AFB in the Matrix downloads, but this would help for FS9.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I just checked my scenery and found scenery by John Stinstrom. I was surprised to find that it wasn't part of any of our packages. It seems i just downloaded it and used it.

Look for ksuu_js_v2.zip on Avsim.
Steve
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thanks Steve, I think John's scenery is the solution for Travis. It's a nice looking scenery with plenty of detail.

It works fine for me in FS9 if I remove the VTPH and VTPP files that cause the sim to crash on loading - but they don't seem to make any difference anyway. My KC-10A's appeared first time, but the JS traffic file for the same aircraft type needs to be removed.

FSX, P3Dv4 and P3Dv5 need a flatten file that I have made and can provide without infringing John's copyright. John's trees are not compatible but the file can be removed.

John's library file needs running through MCX to make the objects visible in P3Dv4 and P3Dv5, but it's a simple task. I obviously can't include the converted file, but I can tell users how to do it. Matrix users, as you say, may have the scenery in any case.

Not sure what to do about McGuire at the moment, but I'll get back to numbering up the FSX/P3D KC-10A's for now.

John
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by petebramley »

I have had a look at what I have and its the MATRIX KSUU and my own conversion of the FS9 MAIW KWRI. I have not as yet done any updates to either ADE but a quick look at KSUU it seems that Pushback stoppers are required and taxi-through parking might need some work. Also the lighting effects could do with some work to look better in P3Dv4. Might take a while though as I'm away form my PC all next week.
Pete B
Retired and busier than ever !!
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

After I expressed some reservations, I understood from Giorgio that we did have permission from JS to update his airfields to FSX (and by implication P3D), and that's the basis on which I did Grossetto for JY. I have several other JS airfields in the queue for similar updates, once I have time again to give to the subject. Is this not in fact the case?
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

It was also my understanding, that we may do so. Not sure where my knowledge is coming from.

From mobile hence short

Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

That's great. I'll work on that basis. John is after all using MAIW AI. That will enable me to add the anti-pushback nodes in FSX and P3D.

John
EagleStan
Cadet
Cadet
Version: FSX

Post by EagleStan »

Great work as always . Love the retro blue and white .
Stan
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I like the blue and white paints too, but I'm not sure what to do with them. My intention was to just include a sample paint and retro users could create more from the paint kit. 60 KC-10A's were built and were based in 7 locations. A retro scenario would need a mix of the blue and white and Shamu schemes probably in a ration of about 1:3. It's a lot of work for me to re-paint having just done 50 or so present day x 2 for FS9 and FSX/P3D. I also have 50 or so KC-46A's to number up, again x 2.

I don't know the retro KC-10A serial numbers and flight planning would be a pain for 7 bases. I could though paint the same number of Travis aircraft in blue and white/Shamu livery and use Steve's modern day flight plans with the current serials for retro users.

Would that be a sensible compromise?

In the meantime, I have the present day KC-10A's set up in all 4 sim versions, using John Stinstrom's Travis scenery, although the MAIW scenery can be used instead. This is John's scenery in FSX with my KC-10's and the MAIW (PAI) C-17's from the West Coast package:

McGuire is a bit of a pity. The MAIW AFCAD works fine, but I can find no third party scenery with decent buildings. Those buildings are fairly unique to McGuire and I don't think there's much I could use in the Global Object Libraries to spruce up the MAIW AFCAD. Making custom scenery would take several weeks, assuming I can find reference material to work from. I don't want to do that, so I think we are stuck with a flat AFCAD for McGuire unfortunately.

John
Jim
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Jim »

I don't have a North American retro setup, but I'm going to have to get some Orcas visiting Europe!
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

My thanks to Pete, who kindly PM'd me while on holiday. He advised me of Tony Dalton's FS9 version of McGuire that's in maiw_usn_airliners_part1 package. I have extracted it and it works fine in FS9 and FSX. It also works well in P3Dv4 having run the objects through MCX. P3Dv5 is the same, but I need to make a flatten area to put the runways and taxiways at the right level.

This is FSX:

John
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

The 10 Tanker DC-10's are now done. Great suggestion, I enjoyed making those.

The company are in the process of repainting the 4 aircraft in the new livery I think. 3 are now wearing it, but 911 is still in the old colours. Rather than spend time doing that, I have painted it also in the new livery:

Steve is kindly making the flight plans for the 4 aircraft and the Omega tanker. While he is doing those, I'll make a start on the manual.

John