The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

File Folder for Matrix

Since Matrix support is now terminated, this forum is now locked and will soon be archived.
N697DT
Cadet
Cadet
Version: FSX

File Folder for Matrix

Post by N697DT »

Where is the best place to install Matrix? Right now I have it installed under C:\Lockheed Martin. Is this fine? Thank you!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: File Folder for Matrix

Post by Firebird »

In theory you can install it anywhere, however it is best not to install it on the C drive.

There are two reasons for this, firstly MS gets a bit funny about stuff installed on the C drive and you can have problems updating files there. Loads of people had issues updating FS files in protected folders.
Secondly, unless you only have one drive the chances are that the C drive is your smallest drive. So it would make sense to place on the drive that you have with the most space.

It is however completely up to you where you put it. It is not linked to your P3D installation.
Steve
N697DT
Cadet
Cadet
Version: FSX

Post by N697DT »

Firebird wrote: 14 Jun 2018, 14:16 In theory you can install it anywhere, however it is best not to install it on the C drive.

There are two reasons for this, firstly MS gets a bit funny about stuff installed on the C drive and you can have problems updating files there. Loads of people had issues updating FS files in protected folders.
Secondly, unless you only have one drive the chances are that the C drive is your smallest drive. So it would make sense to place on the drive that you have with the most space.

It is however completely up to you where you put it. It is not linked to your P3D installation.
So I should not install it on my SSD C:, but rather on my old HDD?
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

I would recommend NOT putting it on your C: drive for the two reasons mentioned but you CAN put it anywhere you like.
In simple terms there is not a you must put it here requirement. When I was testing the Matrix I put it in the root of my F: drive.

I think that you would get less problems elsewhere. The only proviso there would be if you have a steam-driven clunky HD that is really slow, but if it is that bad what are you still doing using it?
Steve
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

If you mean Matrix itself, so the app which is installed with the msi file, then this is what the readme says (which I'm sure you have read :wink: ):
Matrix does not necessarily need to be installed on the same drive as P3Dv4. The suggested location in your Program Files should be adequate to run Matrix.
So it doesn't really matter. It's an app just like any other. Word, or Chrome, or whatever. The app itself doesn't contain any files that are used by P3D.

If you mean the traffic packages (global and regions) and you don't know what to choose when Matrix prompts you the first time you want to install one, then again here's what the readme says:
Note that Matrix will ask you to choose a location for your AI traffic the first time you click on any install button. It will only do this once and remember the location for subsequent installations. You can choose any location on your PC. It does not have to be in your P3Dv4 main folder, in fact we strongly advise against installing anything in your P3Dv4 main folder! We suggest that you choose a location on an SSD if available. If you plan to install everything, you’ll need at least 15 GB of free space.
In your case, if you have enough free space on "C:", you could create a folder in the root called "C:\P3D AddOns" and select that during the region installation dialog. Whatever you do, don't pick "C:\Program Files" or anything like that for the regions since those folders are protected like Steve said.