The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Scenery Folder Order

Since Matrix support is now terminated, this forum is now locked and will soon be archived.
sgraypgh
Cadet
Cadet
Version: FSX

Scenery Folder Order

Post by sgraypgh »

I have installed a couple of the regions and noticed that each installed the various folders in different order and different locations in the scenery.cfg. Can you identify what order each folder type should be installed relative to its region folder as well as how they may related to Orbx scenery folders if you know.

MAIW Region Asia World
MAIW Region Asia Airbases
MAIW Region Asia Objects

Also, if you install multiple regions, do the World folders go together followed by the answer to the above question?

Thanks and nice job moving this forward to P3D v4!!!!
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Re: Scenery Folder Order

Post by Greg »

Matrix doesn't add anything to the scenery.cfg. P3D does that when it starts, based on information in the add-on.xml files. I haven't tested this but it may be possible that if you make manual changes to the MAIW bits in the scenery.cfg, P3D will rearrange everything again the next time it is started.

This is how it should look like in the Scenery Library. Note that the folders added by Matrix are greyed out. That is because they were added from add-on.xml files. The only way you can disable them is by disabling the Add On.

The regional AIRBASES and "OBJECTS folders should be at the very top, with the OBJECTS folder below the respective AIRBASES folder for that region. Below the regions should be the global folders because the global package contains objects needed by the regions.

The FTX stuff should always be below that and in fact always below any airfield addons. The MAIW packages don't contain any vector or landclass files except directly around the airfields, so there's nothing to "sandwich" between FTX layers.

Then at the very bottom you'll find the WORLD folders. Again they will be greyed out because they are placed automatically in "layer 3" i.e. just above the default scenery. They need to be that low for the airfield elevation corrections to work properly.

I hope that answers your question. If you have any more, I'm going away on a short vacation but will answer them gladly when I'm back.
sgraypgh
Cadet
Cadet
Version: FSX

Re: Scenery Folder Order

Post by sgraypgh »

This was perfect. It appears that some items did not install in this order, so I have rearranged in accordance with your picture. Thanks for the detailed explanation.