The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Strobe speed/rate issues caused by duplicate .fx files

Since Matrix support is now terminated, this forum is now locked and will soon be archived.
Mark_Fox
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Strobe speed/rate issues caused by duplicate .fx files

Post by Mark_Fox »

I was having strobe flashing issues. Basically what was found here: https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/5396 ... obe-speed/ For those of you who don't go to Avsim, I will quote what I wrote there:
It even affected the flyable F-22A I use to get P3D running. Thought I had bad .fx files, etc. Once I realized exactly which .fx file I was dealing with, I decided to do a search in windows explorer to see where else that file may occur. In this example, I searched for fx_strobe.fx .

Well, I found fx_strobe.fx in the expected places: P:\Prepar3D v4\Effects and P:\Tools\AI Lights Reborn Free Edition\AI Lights Effects (my chosen location for AI Lights Reborn). Knowing that AI Lights Reborn's version of fx_strobe.fx is used in "place" of the same file in the P:\Prepar3D v4\Effects folder, I did not worry about the .fx files in the P:\Prepar3D v4\Effects folder.

But then I found fx_strobe.fx in an unexpected place: P:\AI\P3D4 AI\MAIW\Military AI Works\MAIW_GLOBAL\MAIW_GLOBAL_EFFECTS

Recently I had installed MAIW's Matrix (https://militaryaiworks.com/briefing-ro ... ix-release). Matrix uses an addon.xml just like AI Lights Reborn does to add their respective addons to P3DV4. As you can see, MAIW uses a Global Effects folder in their addon. I found I had duplicates of the following in both the AI Lights Reborn and MAIW Global Effects folders:

fx_beacon.fx
fx_beaconb.fx
fx_beaconh.fx
fx_navgre.fx
fx_navgrec.fx
fx_navgreh.fx
fx_navgrem.fx
fx_navred.fx
fx_navredc.fx
fx_navredh.fx
fx_navredm.fx
fx_navwhi.fx
fx_navwhih.fx
fx_strobe.fx
fx_strobeh.fx (and a few FAIB duplicates also)

I moved the duplicates out of P:\AI\P3D4 AI\MAIW\Military AI Works\MAIW_GLOBAL\MAIW_GLOBAL_EFFECTS. I restarted the sim, and the flash rates and the colors were as intended by Prepar3d and Simbol. So in all actuality, P3D was looking for ALL valid/active fx_strobe.fx files. When it found them, it ran both, essentially duplicating the effect or running two same-named effect files that have different flash rates.

Bottom line: look for duplicates across your Prepar3d installation locations. Backup first, then move or rename the duplicates outside of the Prepar3d and AI Reborn effects folders to something like fx_strobe.fxOLD so Prepar3d doesn't try to run it as well. Worked for me!

The aforementioned .fx duplicates affected my aircraft regardless if AI Lights Reborn was installed or not. Once I relocated/renamed the duplicates, I no longer had issues with excessively fast strobe speed/rate.

I hope this may be useful.
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Re: Strobe speed/rate issues caused by duplicate .fx files

Post by Greg »

This was already reported here: https://militaryaiworks.com/forums/83/17708

It’s not an issue per definition and I doubt that the sim runs 2 effects at the same time. It’s just that fighter aircraft have faster blink rates and this is applied to all AI aircraft since the default effects are overridden. However, the effects will be removed with the next update since most fighters now have built-in effects, or their own effect names.
Mark_Fox
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Re: Strobe speed/rate issues caused by duplicate .fx files

Post by Mark_Fox »

No worries.

I had not seen that post before.

Cheers!