The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Difficulty with installing newest Matrix

Since Matrix support is now terminated, this forum is now locked and will soon be archived.
bellis53
Cadet
Cadet

Difficulty with installing newest Matrix

Post by bellis53 »

This post is for Greg or any others who might have more insight into the problem than I do. I have tried for a while now to install the most recent version of Matrix with no real success. Having read the posts in two other threads I have tried a number of different things:

1. Straight up running the .msi file. Installs in "Program Files (86)", regardless of my efforts to change it to "Program Files".

When trying to install Global Libraries after the install of Matrix, the app goes through the download, but then comes up at the end with an error installing the Global Libraries and I cannot get beyond that.

So, I have tried disabling any fire walls, making sure I am the administrator and so on, but still no joy.

I have come to the conclusion that I clearly don't have the knowledge to figure this out. As an aside, I have in the last couple of days, installed a couple of other apps without any issue. That said, the error log in AppData/Local/Military AI Works seems to show that permissions are an issue. So, I have attached the error log in .txt file in case that would provide some answers to someone who understands its meaning. I should point out that I am running P3Dv4.3 in Windows 10.

Thanks in advance for any help offered,
Sincerely,
William Ellis
Attachments
Errors.txt
(5.41 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: Difficulty with installing newest Matrix

Post by Firebird »

William,
I just took a look at the error txt and I agree it does seem to point to you not being able to update 'C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4' then question is what happens if you choose a different path.
I was under the impression that the best thing was not to place the Matrix installation anywhere near the P3D installation, as you can fall foul of the Windows UAC which I think is what is happening.

I think that the reason that you can't alter the default folder from 'Program Files (x86)' to 'Program FIles' for the Matrix installation is that Matrix is not a 64 bit program, therefore it has to go in the (x86) folder. Both folders are universally known as Program Files.

As a test I installed the Matrix installer and then set the path for the global libs as 'F:\MATRIX' and had no problem. A big benefit with P3D is that you con't have to install the addons under the P3D structure. So don't select the P3D folder as the place to install the packages if you only have one drive try 'C:\MATRIX' instead.

Try that.
Steve
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

For your first question: Matrix is indeed a 32-bit application and installs into "Program Files (x86)". That's how Windows is designed. Only 64-bit applications go into "Program Files".

For your second question: Matrix fails during the unzip step because files cannot be extracted into protected folders ("Program Files" is a protected folder) without elevated rights. This means that you need to run Matrix as administrator (right click on the shortcut -> Run as administrator). However, as Steve indicated and as I also mention in the readme, it is highly recommended to install packages outside your P3Dv4 folder. Steve's suggestion should work. In my case, I have a folder called "P3D Addons" on the same drive as my P3Dv4 and I choose that to install my AI, scenery, etc. When I select that, my package installation path becomes "F:\P3D Addons\Military AI Works".

You can change your package installation path on the Settings tab.
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Victory103 »

Continuing with the install issues, I had to manually install the 1.2.1 as the previous version did not recognize an update. Ran the update and all is fine, downloaded the Asia Region and checked on Europe, but did not download. After checking Asia, ran Matrix again to go ahead with Europe and now Matrix will not load at all. Ran the .msi again to "repair" after restarting cpu.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Greg »

Victory103 wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 22:19 previous version did not recognize an update
I will add some error logging to see why the notification doesn't pop up for some users.
Victory103 wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 22:19 downloaded the Asia Region and checked on Europe, but did not download
You mean Matrix wouldn't install Europe? Did you get an error popup? If so, there should be an error log that should give me more info.
Victory103 wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 22:19 After checking Asia, ran Matrix again to go ahead with Europe and now Matrix will not load at all.
That sounds like Matrix didn't properly close the previous time. Wasn't it solved with a simple system restart?
Victory103 wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 22:19 Ran the .msi again to "repair" after restarting cpu.
And now it's fine again?

Can you also give me your installation path for Matrix and the installation path you selected for the packages please?

If you get any error messages, be it from Matrix or Windows, please write them down or make a screenshot. If Matrix gives an error popup, check if an error log was created. Unfortunately, I don't have much to work with to identify your issues. :(
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Greg,
2) I was starting Matrix to install Europe, that is when the crash started.
3)Restart and "repair", same results as I get the MAIW title graphic and then crash.
4)No errors, just a CTD.
my setup C:\Program Files (x86)\Military AI Works\Matrix
All packages go here D:\Program Files (x86)\Military AI Works\MAIW_ASIA\MAIW_ASIA_AIRCRAFT
Attachments
MatrixAddCrashView.txt
AppCrash
(8.08 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Greg »

Thanks. Looks like Matrix can't load the UI and I suspect an issue with your config file.

First, try running Matrix as administrator if you haven't tried that already to rule out Windows permission errors.

If that didn't help, please go to your %localappdata%\Military_Ai_Works folder. In there, you should have a folder named "Matrix.exe_Url_andthenalongguid", containing again subfolders for every version you have installed in the past. Please upload the config file from 1.2.1.0 here.
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Found the config file but was unable to upload here in the forums.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<configuration>
<userSettings>
<Matrix.Wpf.Properties.Settings>
<setting name="InstallPath" serializeAs="String">
<value>D:\Program Files (x86)\Military AI Works\</value>
</setting>
<setting name="IsInstalledGlobalLibraries" serializeAs="String">
<value>True</value>
</setting>
<setting name="IsInstalledRegionAfrica" serializeAs="String">
<value>True</value>
</setting>

All I can read as the rest is the "NUL".
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Greg »

Ah... there's your issue. No idea why a config file could get so messed up...

Check if the config file of a previous version is okay (probably 1.1.0.0 ?). The last line should say </configuration>. Copy that config file to 1.2.1.0 and overwrite. Matrix should now start.

You will probably see Asia as uninstalled now. You can fix that by editing the config file manually. Change the value of IsInstalledRegionAsia to "True" and change the value of versionRegionAsia to the current version (you can find it in "Military AI Works\MAIW_ASIA\version.txt". Then restart Matrix.
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Thanks will report back and honestly this is my first issue since installing Matrix, even the previous update caused no issues. I have not changed any paths/settings since v1.0.

EDIT: Greg, all is well in my Matrix world again, thank you again!
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Greg »

Glad we got it sorted out Chris!

I did a bit more research about user.config file corruption and it occurs in other apps too, but nobody can identify the source of the corruption. However, thanks to your reports I can now add some code to Matrix so that the error is handled programatically in the future instead of just crashing the app without a lot of info (issue #9).
bellis53
Cadet
Cadet

Post by bellis53 »

Hello again,

I apologize for not getting back to this. I have been away on family business (and not near my PC). Thank you all for replying. I will be trying the suggestions and with some of the new knowledge feel a bit less ignorant now, especially the details on the OS and how things work with 64 vs 32 bit. TBC

William
bellis53
Cadet
Cadet

Post by bellis53 »

OK, now I am really embarrassed. It was so simple all along: failure to read and understand more fully the instructions (a problem my spouse has often observed - lol). It worked perfectly, as advertised. :-) Finishing up with the regions now.

Willaim
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Greg »

Glad it works. Enjoy!