The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Region Europe - LIED

Since Matrix support is now terminated, this forum is now locked and will soon be archived.
PlaneCpt
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Region Europe - LIED

Post by PlaneCpt »

First of all, thank you very much for Matrix, it is awesome.

I have noticed that in the last update to version 1.03 some airports were added, among them LIED Decimomannu AB. I must say, it is a very poor choice of rather generic scenery that made me think of FS2004.
There is a very nice FREE add-on of LIED that is infinitely more realistic, richer in detail but very lean as a package. It even offers the Aqua Fresca shooting & bombing range, now imagine the possibilities of AI military traffic with that... Anyway, maybe you MAIW team should consider contacting the developers of that one and with proper credits maybe include it in your product. It certainly deserves a consideration.

Anyway, I advise everyone to delete the according LIED files from the MAIW airports folders and use this one as add-on scenery instead. Trust me, you'll be an infinitely happier aviator.
http://www.fsx-downloads.com/aircraft/d ... nnumil.htm

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: Region Europe - LIED

Post by Firebird »

The scenery is indeed our FS2004 scenery which I think was produced back in our early days.
Nobody has produced proper scenery for LIED for us.

The Matrix only supplies work that has been done for us or that we have permission to use. This permission is only given by people who were or are developers for us.

The Matrix is a package of our released work converted to P3D. If it hasn't been done by our developers it isn't included.
If you are thinking that the Matrix is all new products created for P3D then you are mistaken. It is a simple method for enabling our users on FS9 or FSX to convert to a P3D compatible system in the easiest possible way. nothing more.
Where problems have been found a few fixes are also included.

There has always been scenery released for airfields that we either don't cover or is better than what we supply. Every user is absolutely free to use them instead of what we supply.
Steve
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FS9

Post by bismarck »

Firebird wrote: 10 Oct 2018, 07:04 The scenery is indeed our FS2004 scenery which I think was produced back in our early days.
Nobody has produced proper scenery for LIED for us.
In the recent release of "Scenery Italian Bases for AW139" for both FS9/FSX, there is a LIED that I produced many time ago, but never released before.
Don't know if this has been included in Matrix.
For sure, my "scenery" are not comparable and are not at the level of Sceneries produced by John Stinstrom or Manfred "Manschy".
That's what I can do. :wink:

Giorgio
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

I'm doing my very best to avoid taking offence by your post, mainly because of the opening sentence. :wink: Most of us have been doing this stuff for over 15 years and you're portraying us like a bunch of amateurs who can't make a decent product.

First of all, you seem to forget that Matrix is an AI traffic installer, not a scenery installer. Nowhere do we mention that Matrix will include all known freeware scenery that is up to your particular standards. The earliest MAIW packages just included a bare AFCAD that even removed the default objects because we had no tools (yet) to move them around. Focus was on AI traffic. We later realised that it was a pity to send our hard work to bare airfields and started to include some generic (or semi-custom) scenery, but without being distracted too much from our main goal: creating more military AI traffic. That is what Giorgio kindly provided with his LIED update and is included in Europe v2.0.

Adding to this: you say that the freeware LIED is very lean and that's true, but it's still 120 MB large. Imagine now that Matrix would include the same sort of "lean" scenery for 100 bases, which is only a fraction of what's ultimately needed. That would be 12 GB of scenery files which is roughly the total size of all Matrix regions at this moment. That's a lot of storage, bandwidth and other resources for something that isn't even our core business.

Lastly, you're misguiding Matrix users with your statement to "delete the according LIED files". Users should use the proper tool on the settings page of Matrix to disable LIED. The tool is specifically designed in case one wants to use scenery that is not poorly chosen by this bunch of amateurs.
PlaneCpt
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Post by PlaneCpt »

Yeah the opening sentence is certainly not there without reason... I knew my criticism will hit hard, as did my dissapointment with the fact that your LIED scenery was getting displayed over the LIED scenery I was previously using without being able to change that in P3D's scenery library, Means I have written my original message in fury.

I'd say, after you enthusiasthic response, we've all seem to have gotten our frustration's out. So thank you again for your effort, I am really enjoying everything Matrix offers. Never even got to the menue point where I can disable airports. So thanks for pointing that out. I'll try to be more aware next time.
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

I can see where your frustration comes from now. It's something I'll take in mind.

And please do feel free to post suggestions. I like to think that I'm very open towards any comments on Matrix, just not the ones that blame us of poor judgement. ;)