The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Matrix versus P3Dv4.5

Since Matrix support is now terminated, this forum is now locked and will soon be archived.
DMdoc
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Matrix versus P3Dv4.5

Post by DMdoc »

Greg: Please reassure me... Prepar3d v4.5 was released today (April 9). Are there any incompatibilities with Matrix?
Last edited by Greg on 03 Jul 2019, 08:57, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split from update announcement topic
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: Matrix Region Updates

Post by Firebird »

I feel that Greg deserves a little bit of time to investigate such a thing.

What about yourself. Have you found any issues, or read about any differences between 4,5 and earlier versions?
Steve
DMdoc
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Post by DMdoc »

Firebird: Yes, the Flight1 GTN series needs updating: https://www.simforums.com/forums/topic6 ... 91636.html

FSDreamteam apparently okay: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index. ... icseen#new

For me, personally, I hold off a week or two and let the developers of add-ons update their products if needed. My motto is Alexander Pope's words of wisdom: "Be not the first by whom the new are tried, Nor yet the last to lay the old aside."
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I can't access that Flight1 site because I am not registered.

However, I don't think that I made myself clear. I was asking if you have found a problem with the Matrix since the upgrade? From your reply though it seems that you haven't upgraded so you can't answer that.

Now linked to that, I think I am right in saying that I believe Greg also leaves it a period of time before upgrading, so the chances are that he will not know yet.

It maybe that the first he will know is when somebody that has upgraded reports an issue.

It is worth remembering that Matrix does not alter P3D in anyway. It just manages MAIW produced add-ons in a simple user friendly way. Now if Lockheed-Martin removes the ability to use xml driven add-ons outside of the official P3D structure then yes the Matrix will fail.
If L-M have altered the structure of objects and/objects within P3D that is outside the scope of Matrix. All that can be done is either remove the affected items or replace them if/when suitable items are produced. If that were to have occurred again we are going to rely on user reports to identify them.
If you have installed the entire Matrix then it could take one person a long, long time to check everything that it installs for errors.

In essence you have to go with the 'there are no issues, unless you know differently' approach. It may not be the ideal answer for you but it is the truth, and we do try to be truthful here.
Steve
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

There is nothing in the P3Dv4.5 patch notes that indicates a new incompatibility with Matrix and since Matrix installs all files outside the P3Dv4 folder structure, it is safe to update P3Dv4 without losing any traffic.

So while there's no reason why you should hold off updating for Matrix, like Steve says it's always a good idea to wait a couple of days if you have addons installed like PTA, ORBX, Active Sky,... That is also why I haven't updated yet myself.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Just read the notes that Greg mentioned.

Something caught my eye. It may be something it may be nothing.
  • Simplified AI creation by removing unsupported types.
So if something doesn't show up it might be worth bringing it to our attention.
Now, having said that, please do the usual checks to insure that you have not made one of those basic errors that we are all prone to.

I am guessing that most likely it will come to light if some traffic appeared in v4.4 but doesn't appear in v4.5.
So IF this happens then please report it, not saying it is likely just bear it in mind.
Steve
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

That's an update for SimDirector, right? In that case it shouldn't have any impact on bgl traffic. SimDirector has its own AI behaviour.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Yep it is SimDirector, and thanks for clearing that up for me.
Steve