The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Download Issues

Since Matrix support is now terminated, this forum is now locked and will soon be archived.
Dolphinhog
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Download Issues

Post by Dolphinhog »

I have been using the Matrix program to start using MAIW in P3dv4.5, finally moving away from FSX. My issue is the long download times for very large files, ie NA.

Pt 1 is approx 731 mb, and I'm seeing downloads at .1mb per 2 seconds. I get to 451 mb of 731 mb and suddenly it times out, and I lose 1 hr of wasted time with no downloads. If I attempt to download again, I start at 0 mb again. This has repeated numerous times. I'm getting discouraged as it is a big debbie downer to get close and have it drop like a bowling ball.

My question: Are their any others experiencing this or is it my ISP carrier dropping my bandwidth??

Dave
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: Download Issues

Post by Firebird »

I just uninstalled and re-installed it. It downloaded the first part in 3 minutes. So yes I would say that there is either a problem with your ISP or routing issue wherever you are. Your download speed is close to dialup. Is somebody on your home network either streaming or sharing?

If you see this reply fairly quickly then try again now as I have proved that our server is fine.

The entire download and install of the 3 parts, 731MB 722MB and 296MB took 10 mis total and at least 50% of that time was the unpacking on the PC and this was all being done via North American VPN.
Steve
Dolphinhog
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dolphinhog »

Thanks for the reply. I'm hard wired to the router so should be fairly quick. I will uninstall and try again and get back to you.
Dolphinhog
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dolphinhog »

So uninstalled and retried but same result. I am running under administrator authority so not sure what. It is installed on my ssd, but the save location is on a separate drive to save space on the C:/ drive. Is this a issue?
Dolphinhog
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dolphinhog »

As a extra note I also have Orbx and AIGAIM OCI Manager and have very fast downloads.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

OK so apart from having simultaneous tests we seem to have proven that it is your connection, our at least the route that the connection takes.

We had a similar problem with somebody a couple of weeks ago in the Middle East and his connection speed was far greater than mine so some outside force was working against him too.

What you haven't done is set up where you live and that might be a factor. If you have a VPN option it might be worth trying that. Or example on my test I am in the UK, but I was using a VPN connection in Miami to connect to the server in Belgium so it would not be the fastest connection route but as you saw it was pretty damn fast.
Steve
Dolphinhog
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dolphinhog »

I'm in Calgary Ab, Ca. So is there a mirror site I might use, as it seems like the server I connect to is slowing me down. I looked at my firewalls, as well when the first time I tried to install it was blocked. I read I need to override that and I did, but I seem to think the download site where I access might be the issue. I am using Win 10. I understand a VPN costs a fee, and not sure that is my best option. Its just that at the speed I download the server times me out, and I get a error. I have managed to get Global and Voice Packs, along with Africa. These however take forever. NA is likely impossible.
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

Hi Dave,

I'm sorry you're having trouble getting our packages from the server. Matrix is using the very basic Windows web connection class to download the files and doesn't support resuming or pausing downloads. With the packages getting larger and larger, it's something I'm definitely looking into while I prepare a migration to Amazon Web Services, but this isn't going to help you now of course.

To get a better look at your connection times to our cloud server, can you please do a traceroute and post the results here? Open a command prompt and type "tracert maiw.cloud" without the quotes, then hit enter and let it run until it says it's complete.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

To help define a decent link my tracert only took 12 steps and no step took more than 240ms.
Steve
Dolphinhog
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dolphinhog »

Ok thanks for that. On a stranger than fact note I had to take my computer in for a warrenty check. I should have back in a few days. Not what you wanted to hear but will definitely do what you have requested.
Dolphinhog
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dolphinhog »

Úsing the tracert maiw.cloud the cmd screen disappears quickly so I will take a photo and pass it on.
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Greg »

Strange, the command prompt should stay active. Just to make sure we're talking about the same: use the hour glass in the bottom left, type cmd and then hit enter to open the command prompt.

You should be able to select all hops (I need to see all hops to know where your issue is on the network) and hit ctrl+c to copy them. But if a screenshot is easier, then please send it to greg at militaryaiworks dot com.
Dolphinhog
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dolphinhog »

Ok I hope I have this attachment shows the correct information. It seems to show some timeouts so suspect you will now what it means.

Thx
Attachments
20190827_071348_resized.jpg
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Greg »

That looks pretty consistent. Don't worry about the time-outs. It only means some routers don't want to reveal themselves to you but they are still forwarding your packets.

This shows that there is no issue with your connection to the MAIW cloud server, so offering you a mirror is not going to solve anything. Your round trip times are already quite impressive. It could be that it was a temporary hiccup on the network so I'd suggest trying again. If you still get the same slow speed, cancel the download and report back.
Dolphinhog
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dolphinhog »

Ok will do. As I mentioned my system is in the shop for unrelated issues. Will reply asap.
Dolphinhog
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dolphinhog »

So this image is from my home computer. Got it back today. And I'm trying to download Asia but the .1mb per second stays the same.

At 124.4 for 720.2 mb part 1 of 2 and likely will time out again
Attachments
20190828_192304.jpg
20190828_184927.jpg
Dolphinhog
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dolphinhog »

This is the result after 30 minutes
Attachments
20190828_194105.jpg
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Information that we don't have is what your download connection speed is and you can you confirm that nobody using your connection is filesharing or streaming TV.

Providing that you have a good broadband connection speed and that there is no other activity on the connection then it would appear that something along that route is deliberately slowing down the traffic or you are getting so many packet errors that there is a tremendous amount of resending.
I connected to my VPN through the Vancouver server and tried the Asia download. It took 5 mins to download and install the entire package but it should have been quicker but there were several times that the transfer slowed to a crawl.

I uninstalled and tried it through the Toronto server. It took 9 mins. Through the Miami VPN it took 4 mins as it did through the London server. The Montreal server took 10 mins.Obviously the unpacking time would be constant amongst all but it does seem to prove that there is a slow down in the Canadian networks.
Now by the nature of VPNs there will be different speeds as opposed to open connections.

It would seem that my little unscientific test says that there is a slowdown concerned with Canada. Most definitely more so with the Eastern side of the country. Whether this is by design or intention I can't say. Nor can I tell whether the issue is purely internal or whether it is crossing between Canadian and American routers.
Steve
Dolphinhog
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dolphinhog »

Ok well I am the only user on this connection save wifi usage. Attached are my speed test results. Nothing I download has ever failed to come in fast and error free, ie P3d, Orbx etc.

It does appear that my location in western Canada seems to have a issue. My question are there any out there with the same location and download problems as I.
Attachments
20190829_081657.jpg
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

OK whilst my broadband is 3x faster than yours that in no way accounts for the speed differential.

The only other thing that I can think of is with my previous provider my download speed was badly affected as soon as I signed up for a Sky Q TV package here, as that package actually creates a mesh on your own wifi network. My speed at the time was 17Mb and my download speed was absolutely abysmal as to be no use what so ever. Stitched off the TV wifi box and the internet downloads were fine again.

My provider said not their issue. My TV provider said that their system wouldn't cause an issue - but I proved to myself it did and was willing to prove it to them.
In the end I had to switch to a higher broadband speed with a different provider. I actually got 38Mb for slightly less money. No problem since.

Now whilst you may not have Sky TV it does occur to me that you may have a TV package that is satellite based to an aerial and that uses your wifi network to wifi TV receiver.
If so i am willing to bet that it uses the same system and that could very well be your issue.
Steve