The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

CTD's in North American Region

Since Matrix support is now terminated, this forum is now locked and will soon be archived.
HHAS67
Cadet
Cadet
Version: P3D

CTD's in North American Region

Post by HHAS67 »

Recently on a flt from KORD to KLAX I encountered a CTD. I changed aircraft and encountered the same CTD in the same area (N35 22.77 by W113 54.61).

This crash was similar to crashes I have had in the past due to FS9 MDL files used in AI aircraft. As a result, I uninstalled the North American Region of the MATRIX program. I then resumed the flight, minus the North American Region, and the flight continued without a CTD. I then rebooted and reinstalled the North American Region and resumed that flight. Upon reaching the general area of the above-mentioned coordinates P3D CTD'd.

I've been using MATRIX regions for six months without a problem. Since there are probably hundreds of MDL files wihtin the North American Region's aircraft folders it is improbable that I could search these out to find the offending file.

I am using P3D v4.5. I use all the MATRIX regions installed on a separate SSD. I have the "Disable add-on.xml" slider in the off position. I have no airports disabled.

Appreciate any assistance.
Thanks and regards,
WMS
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Re: CTD's in North American Region

Post by Greg »

Hi WMS,

Thank you for your detailed report. I'll have a look in that area to see what could be the issue
HHAS67
Cadet
Cadet

Post by HHAS67 »

Greg,
Can I help by removing half of the traffic bgl files at a time, thereby working down to the root? Would that mess-up my MATRIX install if I afterwards copied them back into the World folder?
Thanks,
Walter
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

That would be really helpful. It won't affect anything as long as you put the same files back.

I'm swamped with model conversions and haven't got much time to work on Matrix right now, so if you could narrow the problem down for me that would speed up things considerably.
HHAS67
Cadet
Cadet

Post by HHAS67 »

No problem, glad to help; but will take a while.
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by petebramley »

I have just tried a flight from KIGM to KLAX with all MATRIX regions active but no addon AI Aircraft but did not suffer any CTD.
I was using MATRIX fully updated and the only difference with WMS is that I'm still using P3Dv4.4.

WMS can you tell me the following:
Time of day /day of week of the CTD
Any addon sceneries active within 200 miles of the Datum point you provided (Close to KIGM)
Do you have any AI addon aircraft flying during your CTD ?
Are you using ORBX ?

Regards
Last edited by petebramley on 11 Sep 2019, 08:31, edited 1 time in total.
Pete B
Retired and busier than ever !!
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by petebramley »

Hold all

Just got a CTD SW of KIGM. Investigating !!
Pete B
HHAS67
Cadet
Cadet

Post by HHAS67 »

Hi Pete,

1. DTG: Wednesday 0904 approx 1800z.
2. No addons except UTL (which is clean) active within 200nm of crash area.
3. UTL & all MAIW regions - P3D AI aircraft view drop-down shows about 20 aircraft flying then jumps to almost 3 pages of AI planes (MAIW mostly) in the drop-down and almost immediately CTDs.
4. Using all ORBX global products.
5. Using Active Sky 4.

After the initial crash I went through all the AI aircraft within the NA region using the process of elimination. That is, removing half of the aircraft folders at a time and restarting P3D to see if there is a crash. I could not recreate the crash while doing this. Since then I have tried to recreate the CTD by starting the flight at different stages within the suspect area. No CTD's.
It is possible that aircraft visiting from another MAIW region are causing the problem. I will test aircraft folders from Europe and Asia to see if the offending aircraft is a visitor. There are many visiting aircraft at Holloman AFB which is within 200 nm from my flight path. I have also used AI Aircraft Editor to check for errant mdls and found none.

I will keep in touch and advise what I find.

Update: just got another CTD, same flt/area and 100% tfc.

Regards,
Walter
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

IF and I must stress if, you get the error just after the the increase of AI aircraft it may be worth looking at what effects are being called by those aircraft that are spawned.
Personal experience has taught me that the most logical cause is an effect that is from a flyable aircraft rather than an specifically crafted AI effect.

I realise that it is not as easy as said but try to capture what aircraft are spawned and look to see what effects are called.

I can't remember which one it was but a default FSX or P3D effect did cause a crash and I was able to craft a fix for it.

It is on this forum somewhere and people more aware of those sims should be able to point you to it.
Steve
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by petebramley »

I think I may have found the culprit (but not yet why). try moving "Traffic_MAIW_Santa Lucia_FSX.bgl" from your "**\Military AI Works\MAIW_NA\MAIW_NA_WORLD\Scenery\" folder to a safe place and see if you still get the CTD's. Mine now seem to have stopped with that file disabled. None of the othe regions traffic files seemed to cause any problems. Am still trying to work out why that file is not playing but not got anywhere yet.

Regards
Pete B
HHAS67
Cadet
Cadet

Post by HHAS67 »

Yes I believe you have.

I set up a flt at KIGM with F22 on active; then ran sim 10 times with Santa Lucia installed and sim CTD'd 10 times. 3 of these 10 times I was able to fly around for a few mins B4 CTD.

Then I removed Santa Lucia BGL to Desktop and sim ran fine at KIGM for rest of afternoon.

I also tried re-compiling S. Lucia using AIFP3 and it validates OK but still no joy.

Will try agn tmw.
Rgds,
Walter
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

So is there an aircraft in the Santa Lucia pack that is not in any other?
Steve
HHAS67
Cadet
Cadet

Post by HHAS67 »

MAIW FAIB737W Seems to be the culprit. CTDs every time this a/c used.
rsds,
Walter
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by petebramley »

That is not the a/c that I had a problem with. For me it seemed to be the C-27J causing the problem.
Pete B
HHAS67
Cadet
Cadet

Post by HHAS67 »

Replaced MDL folders and AIR file in MAIW FAIB 737 (FAM) with MDL folders and AIR file from my own FAIB install and no CTDs.
W
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by petebramley »

I can only think that you must have had a corrupted file somewhere. Did you notice any size difference in the files you replaced ?
Are you happy that the problem has cleared up !
Pete B
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

HHAS67 wrote: 13 Sep 2019, 15:55 Replaced MDL folders and AIR file in MAIW FAIB 737 (FAM) with MDL folders and AIR file from my own FAIB install and no CTDs.
W
It is encouraging that you seems to have locked on what causes the issue, at least in your system, I think that it would be helpful to narrow down exactly what the issue is.

Are you able to say what is different, and what is the same, in the fixed folder from the Matrix folder?
Steve
HHAS67
Cadet
Cadet

Post by HHAS67 »

Not so much... I sat at S. Lucia and watched F5's, CN235's, C27's, 737's, C130's and Hawks take off and land over a span of 3 simulated days and had only one CTD when an F5 was doing a circuit. The only fx file for the F5 is [fx_jai_f5_ab.fx].

By the way, these models are beautiful!!! And the FPL's and the circuits they fly are impressive! More care was put into this freeware pkg than many payware pkgs.
Thanks (and sorry for the late response)
WMS
hschuit
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by hschuit »

WMS, something puzzles me, which F-5 model are you using in P3D? The converted ones do not use fx_jai_f5_ab.fx (which is an old FS9 FX file). If you are using old FS9 models/FX in P3D then I am not surprised you have random CTD's.

Henk.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Also be aware that the problem need not be with an aircraft in the circuit. It can be anyway up to 100nm, depending upon the position of the airfield.
If you are watching at an airfield for sometime then the chances are that the cause was an aircraft spawning in that region.

As an example years ago I was getting crashes at Lakenheath and the cause turned out to be a Jaguar spawning over the Wash on its way back to Coltishall.

What you really need is a tool that lists all of the active traffic in your region and keep an eye on new spawns. The chances are that the crash will happen about 30 secs after a new aircraft spawns if there is a problem with an effect.
Steve