The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Autoupdater closes automatically with VPN enabled

Since Matrix support is now terminated, this forum is now locked and will soon be archived.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Autoupdater closes automatically with VPN enabled

Post by Firebird »

I tried this but I think I discovered a potential problem.

Matrix opens in the usual way with the logo with the opaque background.
Then the normal window opens on the home page and very briefly a white text window opens in front of that window and disappeared so quickly that you don't have time to read anything on it no matter how many times you run it.

I actually solved it by switching off my VPN.

After that the white text window appeared but stayed. It was saying that there was an update. The update worked absolutely fine and I went from 1.4.1 to 1.5 with no other issues.

I normally have my VPN on so although I can't swear to it, the chances are very good that I have updated with the VPN active before with no known issues.

So what caused it this time? Does the updater check IP addresses?
The only other relevant info is that I upgraded to Windows 10 1903 a week ago. If it is related to that then this is the first issue I have found with it.

If others use a VPN try updating with your VPN on, especially if you are going through another country. If that fails try the VPN going through your own country, and finally switch it off completely.
It will be interesting to get as much info on this.
Steve
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Re: Matrix Updates

Post by Greg »

Steve, when the window loads it fetches the following file to display the changelog:
https://maiw.cloud/matrix/html/changelog.html.

Can you open that page directly with your VPN on?
bvanhout
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Post by bvanhout »

First attempt with my VPN on I experienced what Steve mentioned.
I changed location to another country and it updated without a problem.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

OK useful stuff here.
Firstly it is not just a Steve issue, but it is manageable. Many thanks for finding that changing servers was able to fix the problem for you rather than switching off completely. It may not be the case for all but it is know a known issue and can be worked around.

Greg,
Yes I double-checked that my VPN is active and connected through the Miami server as per yesterday. The changelog page loaded no problem in a new Firefox window.
So we know that the text can be found when connected and the fleeting glance showed that text was loaded onto the window that opens, it was just so fleeting that you couldn't read it.
So I guess the next question is how is the window built, and what internet/IP checking is done then.
Steve
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

There shouldn't be any IP checks, but I'll pass this on to the developer of the autoupdater.