The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Matrix vs. "Real World Changes" thread

Since Matrix support is now terminated, this forum is now locked and will soon be archived.
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Matrix vs. "Real World Changes" thread

Post by Victory103 »

Is a there a process in place to update the current conversion of previous MAIW packages with real world updates (repaints, flightplans) that meet MAIW standard? I'm currently working through the Lemoore Hornets as all legacy F-18s are gone with squadrons transitioning to the Super Hornet or F-35. On the US Army Aviation side, years of changes have left most of the MAIW packages obsolete, with units deactivated or flying different aircraft altogether. This is happening now with John's new C-130 models and the 10+ year old MAIW packages.

I realize the small team are busy with the conversion process/Matrix support and I'm trying to be useful in some capacity on my limited days off, but I'm spending hours researching the changes for my own set up. My basic repaints are simple cut/paste of the previously "pro" painted NBAI models, using Google along with scramble.nl. I do not want to throw a wrench or spanner into the process, just thought others would want updated AI packages in P3D.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
airplanedoktor
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Re: Matrix vs. "Real World Changes" thread

Post by airplanedoktor »

I think it will be a work in progress... I too have been trying to update the packages for the Canadians, with repaints, some flightplans, and help with with John's C-130 package.

I was really surprised at how much time it takes (with me at least) to update a package, especially in all 3 sim versions as I only use FS9/FSX for testing. I'm trying to learn Photoshop, then AIFP, and haven't even touched ADE yet, except for a few parking spots here and there, all on limited time as well.

I am grateful for the efforts that have gone into the conversions thus far, but think it will be a greater community effort to bring the packages up to date. I am just happy to have the aircraft in the sim.

And of course, we have to change our marking standard every 10 yrs, so now all our repaints are out of date...

We'll get there.

Cheers,

Darren
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Re: Matrix vs. "Real World Changes" thread

Post by Greg »

When I laid the ground work for the Matrix regions, by combining all FS9 packages into one setup, I also went through the "Real World Changes" thread and removed all units that were mentioned as disbanded at that time. So that part was done, but note that this was roughly a year and a half ago. I didn't bother with removing any individual airframes that were destroyed or wfu since most users won't notice. I also didn't bother with moving entire units to a different location since that requires quite a bit of flightplan and AFD rework, plus changing markings on repaints can't be done without the original author's approval and degrades the quality of the overall paint anyway.

Since then, I have only updated units if there was an update package available. In most cases these were packages from Brent.

In the meantime the Matrix regions have diverged so far from the legacy FS9 packages that it is hard to keep up with the "Real World Changes" thread, since the reference to a package now no longer exists. What would be required is a completely new thread with real world changes that affect the traffic in the Matrix regions. I haven't got time to start one, but if a couple of you volunteer to keep it up-to-date, I'd be happy to start a new thread here and implement the changes with region updates.