The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Uninstalling Matrix North America

Since Matrix support is now terminated, this forum is now locked and will soon be archived.
aspen31
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Uninstalling Matrix North America

Post by aspen31 »

Hi all
Recently I had an issue with Prepar3dV4 and as part of the solution i want to uninstall and reinstall MAIW Matrix. For some reason I am unable to uninstall the North America portion. All others appear to have uninstalled correctly. I receive an error telling me to try again or consult the MAIW forum.
Advice or suggestions appreciated
Thanks
Warren
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Re: Uninstalling Matrix North America

Post by Greg »

Hi Warren,

Could you please go to the following location on your system, zip up the Errors.log file and attach it here?

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Military_AI_Works\Logs
aspen31
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by aspen31 »

Hi Greg
Thanks for the prompt reply. Not sure how to zip files. I'm better at airplanes than computers.
Here is the latest log entry. There are 3 or 4 earlier entries if you need them.

2021-04-05 15:51:00.1727 - ERROR: Airfield Status Settings Error
EXCEPTION: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Program Files(X86)\Military AI Works\MAIW_NA\MAIW_NA_AIRBASES\Scenery'.
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1.CommonInit()
at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1..ctor(String path, String originalUserPath, String searchPattern, SearchOption searchOption, SearchResultHandler`1 resultHandler, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.Directory.GetFiles(String path)
at Matrix.Wpf.MainWindow.GenerateAirfieldList()
at Matrix.Wpf.MainWindow.<cmbRegionPicker_SelectionChanged>d__25.MoveNext()
====================================================================
2021-04-05 15:51:19.2338 - ERROR: Airfield Status Settings Error
EXCEPTION: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Program Files(X86)\Military AI Works\MAIW_NA\MAIW_NA_AIRBASES\Scenery'.
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1.CommonInit()
at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1..ctor(String path, String originalUserPath, String searchPattern, SearchOption searchOption, SearchResultHandler`1 resultHandler, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.Directory.GetFiles(String path)
at Matrix.Wpf.MainWindow.GenerateAirfieldList()
at Matrix.Wpf.MainWindow.<cmbRegionPicker_SelectionChanged>d__25.MoveNext()
2021-04-05 15:52:09.4122 - ERROR: Uninstall Error
EXCEPTION: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path '09378e7a1eda9289841f973839f06774f00a48' is denied.
at System.IO.Directory.DeleteHelper(String fullPath, String userPath, Boolean recursive, Boolean throwOnTopLevelDirectoryNotFound, WIN32_FIND_DATA& data)
at System.IO.Directory.Delete(String fullPath, String userPath, Boolean recursive, Boolean checkHost)
at Matrix.Lib.Services.PackageService.Uninstall(Package p, String installPath)
at Matrix.Wpf.MainWindow.<InstallPackage>d__38.MoveNext()
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Greg »

Can you try again with Matrix ran as administrator?

Right-click on the shortcut -> Run as administrator
aspen31
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by aspen31 »

Hi Greg
I have used MAIW for a long time but have never been able to run it as "Administrator". That option does not come up when I right click the MAIW icon. All I have is "open", "shred" or "open file "location"
Sorry
Warren
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

That does not sound normal. I have never had a shred option.
Right clicking on an icon should give you at least a dozen options including 'Delete', 'Rename' and 'Properties'. Are you sure you are looking at the 'Matrix.exe' icon?

The problem is that you installed Matrix in a protected folder, C:\Program Files(X86). Matrix must have admin access to delete the folder. The only other option, I think is to is uninstall Matrix and manually clear up the installation folders and Matrix folder from appdata.
Steve
aspen31
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by aspen31 »

Hi
I do have other options when I right click the MAIW icon but I only mentioned the top 3 and in any case there is no "run as administrator" option available. I also have manually deleted everything I can find relative to MAIW but when I select the option to delete "North America" I receive an error as stated above. Is there an .exe file somewhere that I have missed - if so where should i look?
Thanks
Warren
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

The run as administrator option is also found under the properties option. When you select 'Properties' you then hit the 'Compatibility' tab and you can find it.

OK now on to the tricky bit.
Have you deleted any files in the Matrix path? If the answer is yes then the uninstall is not going to work. Like any other installed program on windows, if you manually delete something the uninstaller will not be able to delete it.

So have you deleted files? If so you have no option but to completely delete your Matrix folder, C:\Program Files(X86)\Military AI Works, in your case.
Uninstall the Matrix program and then re-install the Matrix program but do not use a protected folder for the Matrix install path.
You will then be able to reinstall Matrix components.

Let us know if you have success or any issues.
Steve
aspen31
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by aspen31 »

I have now tried several methods of uninstalling Matrix so that I can re-install it.

1. Using the Matrix page I selected "uninstall" for whatever geographic packages that I have. "Global" would not uninstall because "North America" is still present and I received the "error" message.

2. I selected "run as Admin" in the compatibility section of "properties" but I received the same error.

3. I manually deleted everything I could find related to Matrix and then downloaded a "fresh" copy of Matrix, reinstalled it and then attempted to "uninstall" the regions - same thing - same error message.

4. Using the control panel I uninstalled the program, manually deleted whatever files that "uninstall" left and then re-installed Matrix and then attempted to uninstall North America but received the same "error" message. Bottom line no matter what I have attempted "North America" will not unintstall.

At this writing I believe everything remains in the places where the files and folders should be. I examined some of the folders and I find that MAIW_NA has a .git before the "objects" subfolder and I'm not sure if that should be the structure.

I appreciate all the help so far and would appreciate hearing any other suggestions

Thanks

Warren
aspen31
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by aspen31 »

Hi again all
In the morning I will uninstall everything and attempt re-install outside a protected folder. I think the "program files x86" was the default destination for the install program but I'll attempt to point to a different place
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Warren
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Greg »

The reason Matrix still thinks you have NA region installed, even after a fresh installation of the app, is because you still have the old config file. I would suggest to:
  1. Delete the entire C:\Program Files(X86)\Military AI Works Works folder manually;
  2. Uninstall the Matrix application in Windows;
  3. Delete the entire %LOCALAPPDATA%\Military_AI_Works folder manually
This should also get read of any config files and give you a clean installation.

Install the app again. You can install it in your Program Files(X86) folder that's no issue.

Install the Global Libraries Package in Matrix. Matrix should ask you again where you want to install your traffic. Don't select C:\Program Files(X86) or any other protected folder! It looks like your Windows account doesn't have administrator rights. Neither choose your Prepar3Dv4 folder. In my case, I have a dedicated flight sim drive called F:\, but even the C:\ root should work.
aspen31
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by aspen31 »

Hi Greg
The re-installation as per your instruction went fine as far as I can determine so far. I put the Global package into "Documents/P3dv4addons so I'll see how it goes from there.
Thanks
Warren
aspen31
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by aspen31 »

Hi again all
One last question. Can any component of Matrix be made to work in P3Dv5. I want to move to V5 but it wont be complete without this great MAIW traffic
Thanks
Warren
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Greg »

I had made a start on a P3Dv5 migration but ran out of free time. Traffic works for the most part. There are some issues with effects like afterburners.

But the biggest problem is scenery. LM redid all stock airfields and vector data for v5 which means that the excludes in our airfields no longer exclude everything. So you get stock objects and autogen in unwanted places on most airfields. Some airfields are now completely out of place, even in water. The solution is to go through every AFD file and fix them one by one but that again would take a lot of time.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Wow. I did not know that. Very soul destroying for scenery people.
Steve