The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Sketchup

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
Tranquil
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Re: Sketchup

Post by Tranquil »

Ok, well we start with opening our sketchup and Importing a Geo-location (imagery) as seen in the image! you can choose as much of the airport as you want or choose a section to work on, you can add more imagery as you go along.. Sketchup has this built in so we dont need to go elsewere looking for images..

and it is on top of this we will begin to Draw our basic shapes! and we do this by choosing our shapes tool from the top bar menu!
Once we have drawn around the section we want, it will turn grey and then can be pulled upwards with the push pull tool also found on the top bar

It is from here we can start adding the other sections, now we can use the line tool to draw the lines around the building parts we need! Again it will turn grey to let us know it can now be pulled!

And again with the other section!

Lesson one over!! :)

Much thanks

Mark
Image Image
The spice extends life. The spice expands consciousness. The spice is vital to space travel.
Tranquil
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Tranquil »

Fast forward a bit!!

Much thanks

Mark
Image Image
The spice extends life. The spice expands consciousness. The spice is vital to space travel.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Sweet Mark! Going to give this a try tonight if I have time!
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FS9

Post by Weescotty »

MIKE JG wrote:Cool, I might have to give sketchup a try, I just read last night that FSDS doesn't work with Win10 so it's coming to the end of its useful life I'm afraid.
FSDS Works perfectly in Windows 10.
It's what I am using (64 bit).
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Oh nice! Was worried about upgrading but that might seal the deal.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
JNDVirtual

Post by JNDVirtual »

I also use Sketchup and ModelConverterX for my FSX airfields and am working to do the textures. I've done a couple but haven't worked too much on the night versions. I'd have a LOT more airfields ready for download if I were better at textures, because I have a TON of airfields with blank/white buildings. LOL
ukvoodoo
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by ukvoodoo »

Just a quick question guys and gals

when importing imagery, is it best to import zoomed right in or can I take a medium sized area to import (.ie like a town)

Im worried that my scaling may not be right if I take a medium section or is it automatically scaled when imported?

Thanks
Tranquil
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Tranquil »

Hi ukvoodoo! if you are using the geo location inside of Sketchup then it doesnt matter how big or small you grab it it should be the right size when imported onto the work page, you can even do sections, just by going back to geo location and adding more imagery!! Hope that helps!!

Much thanks

Mark
Image Image