The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

FSX Recommended Helicopter Runway Lengths

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
JNDVirtual

FSX Recommended Helicopter Runway Lengths

Post by JNDVirtual »

I'm using John Young's UH-60 Blackhawks in FSX and am trying to get them to not use the main runways at airports. I'm working on a National Guard add-on, and I have modeled both Hammond Northshore Regional Airport (KHDC) in Louisiana and Capital City Airport (KFFT) in Kentucky. I updated the AFCADs since both airfields have a new Army Aviation Support Facility. I modeled a 850-foot long, 50-foot wide runway made of grass at Hammond and a 1000-foot long, 50-foot wide runway made of grass at Capital City, both parallel to the main runway. They have no-draw hold shorts and taxiways as well. At each field, though, the Blackhawks always go for the main runway and taxi right by the auxiliary one.

Is there a recommended length needed so that the Blackhawks take off and land on that auxiliary runway instead of the main one? I'll also probably be trying this for the NBAI AH-64s and CH-47s as well, but I like how the JYAI Hawks are modeled for takeoff, so I'm working with those models/AI first.

I know there's a thread on AFCADs for helicopters, but that thread seemed to be tailored for the UTT Mi-8s, so I dunno how much carryover there is from that thread. I'm trying to see if I can do this without having to create helicopter-only AFCADs.
raclim
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Re: FSX Recommended Helicopter Runway Lengths

Post by raclim »

It is standard for every AI in FSX to use the longest runway that is available at an airport. So even when you also have a short runway at that same airport, the aircraft will still be using the longest runway. Short things short, adding a "helicopter runway" isn't possible.

The only option there is, is to create another AFCAD, basically a new airport made especially for use by helicopter and build that on top of the original airport. I have done it mutliple myself for bases like Kadena and Lakenheath, so I can help you out if you want to.

Cheers,

Randy
JNDVirtual

Re: FSX Recommended Helicopter Runway Lengths

Post by JNDVirtual »

Ah drat. Okay, looks like that's what I'll have to do.