The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Moving Addon Scenery Down The List Question

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
col1948
Major
Major
Version: FS9

Moving Addon Scenery Down The List Question

Post by col1948 »

I've started working on a new installation of FS9 due to a bad mess up of installing another package.
I downloaded and installed a lot of WOAI civil airlines, now I'm at the point of starting to install the MAIW aircraft and scenery again.
So seeing as it is a fresh installation of FS9 I want to take the opportunity to keep it as neat as possible from the start, my question here is about the scenery, after I install a new scenery package do or shall I leave it at the top of the addon scenery list or move it down, what do you recommend?

Col.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: Moving Addon Scenery Down The List Question

Post by Firebird »

It depends on where you mean about the list. If you mean in the scenery.cfg then it doesn't really matter. What matters is the layer number assigned to a scenery.
When you look at the scenery list in FS9 or in a util such as SceneryConfigEditor then it is arranged by priority. It would seem that if scenery is at the top of the list it would seem to have top priority. That is not really the case. It loads scenery in layer number order from 1 upwards.

So the scenery at the top is always loaded last. So this is why the MS default scenery should always be loaded first (have the lowest layer numbers) then you have other terrain scenery like mesh, then default scenery mods like Ultimate Terrain and Freeflow, followed by addon Landclasses followed by third party libs like our MAIW objects.

In simple terms the reason you have to do this is load the default scenery then modify the mesh, terrain and landclass then add objects that any scenery will use.

Then you can add the rest of the scenery in any order you want. The key thing is that if any scenery calls for a lib it must have been loaded first.

For me, to keep things tidy, after I have loaded the scenery potentially used by everything. I keep things in order, so the top of the list is UK Mil (alphabetically), followed by US MIl (alphabetically) followed by World Mil (organized by continent, country then alphabetically) followed by the Civvie stuff in the same 3 categories.

It just makes things easier to find in SceneryConfigEditor.
Steve