The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Airport buildings at the military airport

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
Steffenta
Cadet
Cadet
Version: FSX

Airport buildings at the military airport

Post by Steffenta »

Hi,

I installed the MAIW packages but when I start FSX I can see airport buildings at the aircraft parking bays. I am using Airport Design Editor but somehow I am not able to remove those buildings. I thing those buildings are from the FSX auto scenery.

Now the question does anyone know how to remove those buildings?

Tks n brgds Steffen
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: Airport buildings at the military airport

Post by Firebird »

Somebody with FSX knowledge may have a better answer but it may be that you need to add an exclusion zone to your ADE afcad to cover the areas that need clearing.
Steve
JNDVirtual

Re: Airport buildings at the military airport

Post by JNDVirtual »

I find that whenever I import a BGL file into ADEX, an airport background polygon must be created in ADE that excludes autogen (this can also be combined with a flatten polygon, too, in ADEX). A land class polygon may also have to be created depending on the project. Otherwise, the file will use the default background and exclusions for whichever airport it is, which may not (and usually doesn't) match the background made for a custom file.

So if the airport has been expanded in anyway (i.e. the additional runway at Washington Dulles International Airport that was constructed after FSX was released), and you do not create an airport background polygon reflecting this expansion, whatever was originally in the game is what will be used, and you'll have autogen all over the expanded area.

So wherever you're finding autogen where you don't want it, use the Add Polygon tool, create the polygon where you want it, and select the Flatten Mask Class Map ExcludeAutoGen option to ensure that the affected area is flattened and excludes auto-generated buildings. I use that option because I usually make these polygons to cover the whole airport instead of just one particular area (I tend to delete everything but runways and re-do everything, but I'm a masochist like that). If you use the Flatten option, make sure you know the airport altitude beforehand (Tools -> Change Airport Altitude to quickly see what it is).

If I'm not mistaken, these files that you must create are the FSX versions of the VT* files from FS9, which from what I've seen do not import into ADEX when you import an FS9 BGL file into ADEX.