The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

two AFCADs at the same airport

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

two AFCADs at the same airport

Post by VulcanDriver »

Hi Guys

I've created a helicopter landing site (apron, parking spot + runway) at an airport but when I go to the airport it doesn't show up. Any ideas why?
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: two AFCADs at the same airport

Post by Firebird »

It could depend on where you have the scenery.
Is it in its own folder or in with the airport scenery?
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Both AFCADs are in a folder called AFCADs both are at layer 511whhich is higher than the scenery folder
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

OK so are you able to select the helo afcad directly from the main menu?

When you say higher than the scenery folder what exactly is higher? Unfortunately MS created confusion with their system.
Can you specify the layer numbers of both your afcad folder and the relevant scenery folder.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Hi Steve

The main airport AFCAD is at layer 108 ( I moved into go in the scenery file for the airport), the helipad is at 511. I can select it in the menu but I end up on the grass in the correct location but not on the apron that should be there. I made it using AFX
John

hawk_sh
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by hawk_sh »

airport altitude - is the helicopter AFCAD underground?
Hartwig

VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Hi Hartwig

Funny you should say that. Just checked the airport altitude at the helipad is 39.7feet but the main runway is 41.7feet. I think you've put your finger on the problem.
John

VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

hawk_sh wrote: 23 Feb 2018, 12:19 airport altitude - is the helicopter AFCAD underground?
Changed the altitude and its still not displaying. I used ADE to add a building and that is displaying correctly. its only the runway and apron that isn't.
John

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

If I remember correctly, an apron does not flatten the ground but a taxiway does.
Try putting a taxiway, as wide as is needed, under the apron to see if that makes a difference.
Steve
hawk_sh
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by hawk_sh »

Is the airport area hilly?
Maybe where the helicopter AFCAD is supposed to be there is a hill in the scenery.
So even when you change the airport altitude it might still be underground.
Try to flatten the whole airport area with Sbuilder for example.
Hartwig

VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

hawk_sh wrote: 23 Feb 2018, 17:39 Is the airport area hilly?
Maybe where the helicopter AFCAD is supposed to be there is a hill in the scenery.
Will try that. The airport in real life is surrounded by high ground so it maybe that FS has placed an uneven terrain underneath it.1
John

VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Firebird wrote: 23 Feb 2018, 16:23 If I remember correctly, an apron does not flatten the ground but a taxiway does.
Try putting a taxiway, as wide as is needed, under the apron to see if that makes a difference.
Nope that didn't work either. Its obviously being loaded as you can select it and the aircraft will sit at were the start point is. Just no textures are showing up.
John

VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

VulcanDriver wrote: 24 Feb 2018, 05:39
hawk_sh wrote: 23 Feb 2018, 17:39 Is the airport area hilly?
Will try that. The airport in real life is surrounded by high ground so it maybe that FS has placed an uneven terrain underneath it.1
I flattened the airport but the helipad will still not appear.
John

VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

I changed the AFCAD for airport by moving a taxiway but the change never appeared. The airport is from the British airport series published by Just Flight and it uses photo realistic background plus scenery to blend it in to their VFR Scenery product. I can only think that these are overriding the AFCAD textures as taxiing aircraft follow the AFCAD route. Think I'll give up on this!
John

hawk_sh
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by hawk_sh »

VulcanDriver wrote: 24 Feb 2018, 13:49 ... it uses photo realistic background ...
Your AFCAD might be under this photorealistic background probably?

You wrote earlier that when you select the airport you will end up in the grass.
Is this grass part of the photorealistic scenery or is it default terrain?
Hartwig

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

VulcanDriver wrote: 24 Feb 2018, 13:49 I changed the AFCAD for airport by moving a taxiway but the change never appeared. The airport is from the British airport series published by Just Flight and it uses photo realistic background plus scenery to blend it in to their VFR Scenery product. I can only think that these are overriding the AFCAD textures as taxiing aircraft follow the AFCAD route. Think I'll give up on this!
Then I think it is probably an exclude issue. I spent a weekend wondering why no buildings appeared at Warton and then found an exclude from Blackpool that was causing the problem.

I once spent a week wondering why no scenery appeared at Fairford only to find that the Alphasim St Mawgan was the problem. Do a system search for the icao using a tool like Everything.
Steve
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

hawk_sh wrote: 24 Feb 2018, 14:09
VulcanDriver wrote: 24 Feb 2018, 13:49 ... it uses photo realistic background ...
Your AFCAD might be under this photorealistic background probably?

You wrote earlier that when you select the airport you will end up in the grass.
Is this grass part of the photorealistic scenery or is it default terrain?
It's part of the photorealistic scenery.
John

VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Firebird wrote: 24 Feb 2018, 15:21
VulcanDriver wrote: 24 Feb 2018, 13:49 I changed the AFCAD for airport by moving a taxiway but the change never appeared. The airport is from the British airport series published by Just Flight and it uses photo realistic background plus scenery to blend it in to their VFR Scenery product. I can only think that these are overriding the AFCAD textures as taxiing aircraft follow the AFCAD route. Think I'll give up on this!
Then I think it is probably an exclude issue. I spent a weekend wondering why no buildings appeared at Warton and then found an exclude from Blackpool that was causing the problem.

I once spent a week wondering why no scenery appeared at Fairford only to find that the Alphasim St Mawgan was the problem. Do a system search for the icao using a tool like Everything.
Yes that's what I'm thinking. On the Just Flight forum another user has the same problem at another airport in the same package. He didn't get a reply from Just Flight or any other person on the forum.

I'm going to ask on amother scenery forum I'm on to see of they've had this problem.
John

VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Removed an exclude file but that only put back the FS objects. Add my files to main airport folder butt still nothing. I'm thinking its time for an up to date scenery for EGHH using ADE.
John

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Oh that would be a shame to have proper updated scenery for my FRA aircraft. :D
Steve