The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Activating Emergency Arrestor Wires for Land Bases

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
pennkiwi
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Activating Emergency Arrestor Wires for Land Bases

Post by pennkiwi »

I wonder if anyone has any idea how to readily activate the arrestor wires that are used for emergency stops at most military air bases? They are frequently modeled visually, but it would be really great if we could actually use them, especially with some of the advanced versions of MilViz products that model things like brake failures or hot landings because of inability to lower flaps etc. I know it can be done because I saw a video on YouTube recently of a MilViz F4E doing this...

Perhaps some talented and very kind developers could do this retroactively for some of their sceneries???
Ian
What matters in life is to be committed to something greater than yourself.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Re: Activating Emergency Arrestor Wires for Land Bases

Post by Firebird »

Well I can't speak about now but in my day the arrestor wires on RAF stations were not rigged unless required, i.e. the cables where there but those little rubber rings, grommets, that keep the cable off the ground were not in place to avoid unnecessary entanglements.
The deal was that you always used the overrun cables, as your speed would be lower and the cables were not stressed enough for carrier type operation and you had to give 15 mins notice for them to be rigged.

However, there has been a freeware program available for years that enables you to put in arrestor cables. The program is cunningly called 'ArrestorCables' and is available on avsim at least. What you have to do is define the cable position for each airfield that you want. Take a look at it it may be want you need.
There is another freeware proggy called 3wire although if memory serves me it is more of a complete package for carrier operations.
Take a look at them they are both available on Avsim.
Steve
edakridge
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by edakridge »

In FSX and beyond, the cables are done with attach points on the model. (On Carriers anyway)

Theoretically this is possible with the cables on runways since the scenery object started as a model. But the author of the object would either have to include the attach points or give permission for someone to modify their mode.
pennkiwi
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by pennkiwi »

Thanks for the help. I have used 3Wire in the past to place or adjust arrestor wires on carriers but I'm pretty sure it was for FS9 only. But I will check out both suggestions. If I discover anything of interest, I'll post something about it so others can give it a shot also. It is obviously possible as I have sceneries that allow training for carrier traps at naval air stations, but as was pointed out, those are built into the model.
What matters in life is to be committed to something greater than yourself.