The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Mdl Tweaker II

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
jgowing
Captain
Captain
Version: FS9

Mdl Tweaker II

Post by jgowing »

I'm playing with some scenery where I want flags to point correctly according to the wind, and to have some other objects always facing towards me. I heard about Mdl Tweaker and installed it with no problem. It appears to run but when I view all such objects in sim they either don't appear at all or incorrectly.

Reading the manual in the FSDeveloper wiki, I think I've done it right but I want to check one point. The instructions advise "if you have downloaded the ZIP version, please make sure that you register the AgSdLib.dll file correctly with windows". I downloaded a zip containing an installer and the dll is there, but I wondered if it doesn't like running in Windows 10. But maybe there's something else not right and that's got nothing to do with it.

I know I could ask in FSDeveloper, but I thought I'd ask here first because I like MAIW and I've had good support before!

Jon G
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: Mdl Tweaker II

Post by John Young »

I'm assuming this is for FS9 Jon. Mdl Tweaker can't produce "rotate with wind" for FSX or P3D. For FS9, you need at least two appearances of the same tweaked object in your scenery (hide one in a hangar if you only need one).

I don't think I had to register any .dll separately, but I'm using Windows 7.

John
jgowing
Captain
Captain

Post by jgowing »

Yes, I'm still with FS9 for now, and I had doubled up the tweaked object to no avail. The fact that the "rotate to user" feature also isn't working leads me to suspect a deeper root cause.

Jon G
jgowing
Captain
Captain

Post by jgowing »

An update:

FSDeveloper forums indicate Mdl Tweaker was designed for Gmax, I use FSDS. It's unclear from what I've read whether FSDS generated models definitely can't be tweaked.

Some users reported objects lying flat or inverted normals, which fits with what I've seen. There is an implication that changing model axes might "trick" the program into displaying a tweaked item correctly oriented.

Jon G
Sophie Marketa
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Post by Sophie Marketa »

I use to use that program all the time for my scenery models. It works fine for FSDS models because you are working with .MDLs, not FSDS itself. I found it excellent for setting visibility parms and swapping day models for night models, like a hanger with open door for a closed door. Waving flags, etc all work fine in FS2004 but not in FSX.
jgowing
Captain
Captain

Post by jgowing »

Thanks for the feedback. I haven't tried to use it lately, but I never got any changes to appear in FS9. I also wondered if it might be a Windows 10 issue.

Jon G