The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

OTBH Conversion Permission

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
niklewis
Cadet
Cadet
Version: P3D

OTBH Conversion Permission

Post by niklewis »

The OTBH scenery by Tony Dalton is for FS9 only. I want to get his permission to convert to FSX/P3D.
Any ideas how to contact?
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: OTBH Conversion Permission

Post by John Young »

Hi and a warm welcome to MAIW.

Is the conversion for your own personal use, or are you intending to make it available for others. If the latter, I can PM you Tony's e-mail address.

John
RNLAF_KB
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by RNLAF_KB »

Any updates news regarding this?
asdro
Major
Major
Version: FS9

Post by asdro »

Hello,

All runways of OTBH got ILSs and according to the charts the taxiway designations changed almost complete.
All current taxiway names in the scenery dont match with the charts.

Also a pad was built called TAC ramp.

My question is, is somebody interested and can update the taxiway signs and add the missing ILSs?

I use the AL Udeid for FS9 version.

If yes, I could provide with charts (2021).

Thanks.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Did MAIW release a scenery for OTBH? When you say you use the FS9 version, the FS9 version of which scenery?

You see there is nothing wrong with asking a question, but you have to frame it correctly. If it is an MAIW scenery then upgrading it is a possibility, but if it is somebody elses work then how could anybody else do that as they couldn't release it.
If that is the case what you are doing is asking if somebody would make changes for you alone.

You see the issue here.

Now I would not consider myself a scenery guru or anything close but it is blindingly easy to add an ILS to a runway through either AFX or ADE. I don't think that adding taxiway signs is too difficult. So my question is have you tried to do it yourself?
Steve
asdro
Major
Major

Post by asdro »

I use this scenery from Tony Dalton.

https://militaryaiworks.com/download-ha ... ony-dalton

No, I didnt edit the AFCAD.

I tried to add the ILS but the approach angle wasnt correct and I couldnt correct it with ADE.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

OK firstly the scenery is Tony Dalton's. The fact that he is/was a member here does not alter the fact that only he can alter his work, or give permission for others to, for any mods to be made available.

The fact that something is loaded in our Hangar does not mean that anybody here can do anything they like to any other members work with complete disregard.

Now in AFX it is easier to setup an ILS before you apply it. In ADE you have to create it then you can alter the glideslope angle by selecting the ILS itself. Have you tried that?
Steve
asdro
Major
Major

Post by asdro »

No, I didnt try yet.

Is there a way to contact Tony Dalton?
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Tony was 'aljude' on here but he hasn't been on site for 2 years, so I don't think that he will respond to a pm but you can try.

I had a quick look at some of his packs on the main sites but he doesn't seem to include an email address. That doesn't mean that he doesn't have one just that I didn't find one.

However, I don't normally use ADE (I still stick to AFX) however, I was able to work how to do what you wanted within 30 secs both adding and amending ILS and adding taxiway markings. This without the aid of looking at the ADE manual.
Give it a try, I think you may surprise yourself.

One final thing is that ADE creates a standar glideslope of 3 degs which is what all the ILS's have at OTBH so it is even simpler than you think.
Steve
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

asdro wrote: 11 Mar 2022, 09:42 No, I didnt try yet.

Is there a way to contact Tony Dalton?

It really isn't difficult to do this stuff yourself. I mean it really isn't difficult.

ADE is excellent and can do most of the conversion work for you. But I know you are an FS9 Luddite, so you don't need to convert anything as it's native FS9 anyway. Spend two minutes learning how to insert ILS and taxi signs, and then an hour or so doing it. I've done it for this airfield (and converted the whole thing to P3Dv4), and I think the whole process took maybe 45 minutes.
asdro
Major
Major

Post by asdro »

I will try it.

But the new TAC apron I wont be able to do.

Thanks to you and firebird.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Not everybody can do everything first time. You just learn one thing at a time.
Steve
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

asdro wrote: 11 Mar 2022, 16:50 I will try it.

But the new TAC apron I wont be able to do.

Thanks to you and firebird.
I had a play with it today as the weather was rubbish. This is in P3Dv4, and the photoreal background needs some serious editing (it really shouldn't look like snow!), but this is a completely new AFD. You can see on Google Earth that quite a lot of the buildings have changed since Tony made his scenery, so you'd have to edit the object file and make some new buildings as well as make the new AFD to update the airfield properly.

Edit: I feel a bit of a fool, but having said earlier that I'd converted Tony's OTBH to P3Dv4 I should have thought that it might be a good idea to remove it before I try installing my own version! Doing so meant that the photo background looked a lot better - though it still needs much editing (which I'm not going to do).

Last edited by TimC340 on 16 Mar 2022, 00:32, edited 1 time in total.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

I've now had a chance to look at this in ADE for FS9. Unfortunately, you won't be able to simply modify Tony's AFD to add the new aprons. He already has 419 aprons, which is way over the ADE limit of 254 (IIRC). My version shown in the pictures above has 49; that's because I've used a photo background and have no need for aprons to represent the taxiway, pan and runway shoulders. I suspect Tony did his in AFX, which would be the sensible option if you wanted to modify it. I've never used AFX, so I have no idea how easy that would be.

Unfortunately, an airfield layout created for FSX or P3D can't be easily regenerated for FS9. There are a great many changes between the version that Tony represented and how the field is now. I don't wish to take on yet another project just now, so I won't progress even the P3D version - though if anyone wants the incomplete AFD to work on, I've attached it as an Ad4 file (without the photo background bgl, which is about 30mb). It's in the right place according to SBX (slightly displaced from Tony's airfield), includes all taxiways and usable surfaces, and has parking that corresponds with Google's latest photos. It also has the placement info for Tony's scenery libraries. To complete it, it just needs the road network completing, taxiway designations added, and unit allocations for parking refined. The parking on the far south west apron is purely for convenience to take some of the overflow traffic I have, and bears no relation to any known real use of that apron.

As I mentioned above, Tony's buildings would need editing to clear the new aprons and add more recent additions.

I can provide the images and placement info if you want it; please PM me for more info.

The Ad4 and a ReadMe are available here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoJ9XzRHlC9lkclF59v ... w?e=rElfTJ
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

You are quite correct, Tim. Tony did create this in AFX which does not have the limitation that you mentioned that ADE does.
Steve
asdro
Major
Major

Post by asdro »

Thank you again for your help.

I will try to see if I can add the ILS first and the taxiway signs.
I dont use AFX so it would not be possible.

But does anyone have an email adress of Tony Dalton?
or facebook page to contact him, please?
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

I'm sorry, no. I'm not aware that Tony published any contact details anywhere in the FS community.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

I'm sorry to come back to this, but it is bugging me because it seems that there's a perception (particularly, but not exclusively, by asdro) that making airfields is difficult. It isn't - and that perception may be why more people aren't doing it.

ADE is a brilliant resource. It takes a little bit of understanding, but it's logical and essentially simple. To make a properly accurate airfield layout really needs the use of SBX or Earth Tiles, neither of which is supported any more, but both of which still work. But even if you don't want to try and learn these assets, just using a screen grab from Google Earth will give you the basis of an accurate airfield layout. Drawing the FS9/FSX/P3D usable surfaces over the top of the image in ADE is trivially easy.

John Stinstrom, among many other pioneering scenery developers, didn't even go to this extent. He pretty much always started from the stock airport as presented by Microsoft, and modified that to better represent the real-life layout, adding his simple, but wonderful, buildings to bring these places to life. Like our own John Young, he had a real talent for making simple graphics look incredibly realistic at the distance they would normally be observed in-sim.

I don't have that talent - I am a detail freak, and spend forever adding irrelevant stuff to things which you'll never see. Go and look closely at my Ahlhorn, for example, and you'll find totally useless detail which does nothing but slow the whole thing down but looks great at short range. But that's me, and I don't think I'm likely to change. The work I'm doing on KNIP, which is closely based on JS's version, is likely to end up costing a lot of data space! But I digress...

Making airfield layouts is easy and really needs only a small amount of effort. I hope that the examples I gave illustrations of earlier demonstrate that. Yes, there's a learning curve, but we need people to make that little bit of effort to move us all on a bit. There are tens of thousands of airfields, and only a small proportion are represented within the MAIW ecosphere. And of course, the real world frequently changes even the ones we have (it always struck me as odd that Matrix intended to reflect the current mil fleets without doing the same for the airfields they operated from).

So, asdro, the challenge for you is to make the current layout of OTBH for FS9 using ADE. I've shown you it can be done. I've even given you the Ad4 file, which you can open in ADE as long as you download the P3Dv4 SDK (it's free), and you can have the SBX-derived Google Earth image which will ensure you get it in the right place if you ask nicely. Your call.
asdro
Major
Major

Post by asdro »

Hello,

I would like to know how I can get more AI traffic on Al Udeid airbase?

Currently I can see just a few C5s, C-17s, KC-10 and 707 Mercurys, US 707 AWACS.

Also, some C-130s of Jim Rodger repaints for JYAI models, like Kuwait AF, UAE AF and others.

Plus Qatari C-17 fleet, C-130J-30 fleet.

But I have no 707-KC-135 Stratotankers. According to google there are many Startotankers and many C-17s based there.

Can you give some suggestions about packages that bring more life to the largest military airbase in the middle east?

Thank you.