The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

New to this

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
MGFIRE23
Cadet
Cadet

New to this

Post by MGFIRE23 »

I would like to start doing custom scenery of fields. Particular I want to do Sheppard AFB. I already redid the field with AFCAD, I would like to know get the right buildings. Where do I start?
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by BadPvtDan »

Design programs such as GMAX and FSDS. You may also want to look in to PSP and Adobe Photoshop for your textures. Lots of really good photos of the buildings also help.

Those programs have a pretty big learning curve. Lots of patience, trial and error...good luck!
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Re: New to this

Post by MIKE JG »

MGFIRE23 wrote:Where do I start?
Like Danny says, either FSDS or GMax. FSDS is a payware product available from Abacus. GMax comes on disk 4 of MSFS 2004. FSDS is a bit easier to use and learn but not as powerful as GMax as far as designing objects. In general scenery designed in GMax seems to look slightly better than it does in FSDS for some reason. However FSDS seems to be the tool of choice for designing AI aircraft models.

Try one of those two CAD programs out and start going through the tutorials and building very basic shapes. But be forewarned that like Danny says the learning curve is a bit steep and you may want to give up before ever designing your first scenery object. But if you stick with it, eventually you start to get the hang of it and with each passing day you learn more and more and within a couple of months you should be able to make some nice objects.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
MGFIRE23
Cadet
Cadet

Post by MGFIRE23 »

Thank you, luckily my wie is pretty good with PSP so I got some help. I really appreciate the replies.
Hook744
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Hook744 »

So Gmax is on disc 4 on Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004: A Century of Flight?
GrahamS
Captain
Captain

Post by GrahamS »

No, it's on Disc 1 in the extras folder.
Which way is up?
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Yup, my bad, Graham is correct, look on disc one.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
Hook744
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Hook744 »

Thanks guys :D
Im also new at this like MGFIRE23 :)

Im trying to make a AI pack for RDAF with scenery, and since i can find any of the shelters and building i need for the scenery.. im gonna try make them..
wish me luck lol..