The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

FSX Battle of Britain

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
jgowing
Captain
Captain
Version: FS9

Re: FSX Battle of Britain

Post by jgowing »

I completely agree with everything Firebird and others have said. I'd just like to clarify and hope that as far as I know, North Weald is still with us, although Kenley fades.

Tangmere springs to mind as a good starting point..

Jon G
jgowing
Captain
Captain

Post by jgowing »

Or Hornchurch (thanks uncle Derek)..
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Yes there are a few where it would not take a huge amount to clear what is there in game and sculpture an airfield.
I used Kenley as an example as the area is being preserved, ans there was an aerial pic of it now on Wikipedia.

I used to live in Hornchurch, decades ago, so again a possibility. The point being start at a place where you don't have to worry about urban matters. Once you decide on a location you can then find out which squadrons were based there, and then start down the road of painting aircraft in the correct codes. The Wikipedia page for Hornchurch is particularly useful there.
Steve
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I concur with everything that has been said by the people trying to help here, but I personally would not choose Hornchurch because of the London skyline from that position:

I had some fun working with Brian a little while back creating two WWII American airfields – North Pickenham (B-24’s) and Earls Colne (B-26’s):

The bulk of the challenge was not building the scenery, although I did make a lot of vehicles, it’s the research needed to find out how things looked at that time. That was quite frustrating because there wasn’t much information about. The thing about war time is that cameras on airfields was not encouraged. Battle of Britain aerodromes will probably be a little bit easier and a good starting point is the historic imagery facility in Google Earth. Some of that goes back to 1940 and some of the south coast RAF aerodromes do feature. There are also museums and books that might help too.

I can help with some items that I made for the two American airfields and Duxford has a few a few war time elements too, but they have to be earned by a demonstration of competence and commitment in what BOAF is achieving. I’m not going to hand them over on a plate. If it’s not too much to ask, the occasional “please” and “thankyou” would help too.

I’ll happily help steer, challenge and answer questions if I can, but I have my own work to get on with as do others here. It’s not for us to scope the project either, BOAF needs to own that and feel comfortable with what it entails in terms of time, information, resources and skills. It could be a fun project, but it will certainly be frustrating.

John
ConcordeBOAF
Captain
Captain
Version: FSX

Post by ConcordeBOAF »

So what I will do first is finish Middle Wallop and a German airbase and get the RAF to fly to the German airbase, Germans fly to the British base
If you don't try you can never succeed, if you always try you succeed more.
Twitter: @Brandon71822792
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I think that starting small and then expanding according to your needs and ability is the smart thing to do.
Steve
ConcordeBOAF
Captain
Captain

Post by ConcordeBOAF »

How do I add the German airfield to AIFP?
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I thought you were going to finish Middle Wallop and is AIFP the right place to start with the German airfield anyway, that's the back end. Focus yourself on one project at a time.
ConcordeBOAF
Captain
Captain

Post by ConcordeBOAF »

Middle Wallop is finished, all I need now is the AI to go from there to the German base and a C-Type hangar please
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Sorry you confused me into thinking you were still in BoB mode.

Show us what you have done with Middle Wallop and I'll consider donating a C-type hangar.
ConcordeBOAF
Captain
Captain

Post by ConcordeBOAF »

BOB Middle Wallop in ADE 175
Attachments
middle wallop.PNG
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

How many parking spaces have you got there, and have you got all of the runway and taxiways plumbed for AI aircraft?
Steve
hawk_sh
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by hawk_sh »

Sorry, but this AFCAD is incomplete.
From what can be seen from the screenshot the runway links are missing.
It will not work for AI aircraft like that.

I strongly advice you to study the ADE manual.
There is a description on how to create an airport from scratch.
Hartwig

ConcordeBOAF
Captain
Captain

Post by ConcordeBOAF »

Would this work
Attachments
NEW.PNG
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

This is really disappointing BOAF for something you said was complete. Apart from the fact that the grass strips just won't work - you've added blue taxi links over the runways not black runway links. You also have no red holds. if you are going to fly AI helicopters in and out of Middle Wallop, you are missing the hard runway 04/22 to the NE of the grass strips (look on Google Earth). That would be ideal for any of the MAIW/JYAI helicopters with animated lifts in them. At least I'm assuming that this is going to be a helicopter airfield, but I'm troubled by "BOB" in the title of the AFCAD. Is this modern Army helicopter AFCAD or something else?

I would forget about Battle of Britain aerodromes and multiple overlaid AFCADs for a long while yet. You need to do some reading rather than playing 20 questions to get answers. If you don't like the AIFP manual, download AFCAD2 and Traffic Tools by Lee Swordy from flightsim.com. It was in the "Must Have Files" section the last time I looked. It is the foundation for all that we do now with AI. The explanation of how AFCADs and Traffic files work in each is very good and quite easy to follow.

I'm not parting with a C-type hangar for now I'm afraid.

John
ConcordeBOAF
Captain
Captain

Post by ConcordeBOAF »

BOB stands for Battle of Britain as this airport will have 7 Spitfires and 1 Blenheim flying out of it
ConcordeBOAF
Captain
Captain

Post by ConcordeBOAF »

How do I get a runway link as I cant find it
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Brandon,
I don't think Blenheims were there during the battle.
You had 609 Sqn with Spits, 238 Sqn with 'canes and then slightly later on in 1940 you had 604 Sqn had Beaufighters.

So 12 a/c for each Sqn would be the order of the day, especially in a quieter airfield like that.

I do agree with the comments about the afcad. As it currently stands nothing would be able to fly in or out of it. The other trouble with it is that it is still an active field so you couldn't really do what you want with it. I would suggest a now closed field to start with so as to avoid any complications caused by more modern aircraft, in case you decide to add those later.
Steve
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

ConcordeBOAF wrote: 17 Mar 2019, 14:29 How do I get a runway link as I cant find it
Which proggy are you using?
Steve
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I actually have a positive thought here.
Go onto flightsim.com and search for 'gary burns'. He released some packages for fs9 for some old RAF airfields form WW2. Including Hawkings, Croydon and Biggin Hill.

It might be worth your while downloading them and having a look at them. It will give you some idea of what you need to produce. They also include AI Spits and Hurricanes, not the JY models, and traffic files.

What it will do is at least give you something to pull apart whilst you learn from the afcad/ADE manuals on how to create working AI airfields from scratch.
Steve