The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Problems with stock runways/elevation at MCAS Iwakuni.

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
retnavycpo
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Re: Problems with stock runways/elevation at MCAS Iwakuni.

Post by retnavycpo »

That looks great!! Btw, this is what the terminal looked like, or used to, anyway. Zip file of some pictures. Typhoon may have changed it all a couple years back. Pete

retnavycpo
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by retnavycpo »

Hey Tim,

I found some nice looking free tropical vegetation for download! https://www.flight-sim-jewels.com/tropical-vegetation/
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

I did find a few pictures of the terminal online, including some from after the typhoon. I assume it’s been repaired now, as the airfield does get a reasonable amount of traffic still (around 700 arrivals a year). I used a couple of buildings from the Atsugi library to represent it in this version, but I may have a go at making a custom building for it when I have a bit more time. It would be nice to have a go at making a texture to represent old, broken up concrete as there’s lots of that on the islands from the old seaplane base and other structures. The neat, clean default concrete texture really isn’t suitable, so I didn’t put it in.

I’ll have a look at that vegetation later. If it substitutes landclasses, it might not change much for this scenery as I’m pretty sure Wake isn’t classified as tropical (in the sim, that is). Orbx landclasses are pretty good on the whole, and from the pictures I found the representation here isn’t too far from reality. Anyway, time for a bike ride then a bit more work on Iwakuni.
retnavycpo
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by retnavycpo »

Thanks so much for taking a look at Wake Island. I belong to a Facebook group of people who were stationed there. Lots of pictures available, if you want me to send you some. Pete
retnavycpo
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by retnavycpo »

Here a few pictures I gleaned from the Wake Island group on FB.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yKzD8 ... qtudtixfrm
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Thanks Pete. I need to look at those when I’m next on a computer - my iPad doesn’t like the hosting system. Busy with real life stuff over the next couple of days, but I’ll see what I can come up with.