The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Texas Minor Bases

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Texas Minor Bases

Post by TimC340 »

As a diversion from the details of Finningley, and because I got in a bit of a mess trying to convert the p3Dv5 KRND to work in P3Dv4.5 (ho hum!), I got interested in the auxiliary fields and NOLFs in southern Texas, most of which are relevant to the major bases already covered by Matrix.

I've basically upgraded (in a couple of cases completely rebuilt) the following stock airfields: Goliad NOLF (KNGT) - shown in sim as 7T3, Orange Grove NALF (KNOG), Cabaniss NOLF (KNGW), Waldron Field NOLF (KNWL), Randolph Aux (SEQ), Kingsville NAS (KNQI) (yes, MAIW have John Stinstrom's FS9 version, mine isn't as detailed but shows the current layout) and Chase Field NAS (KNIR) which closed in 1993, but still exists..

Before I go too much further with this, is there any interest in these airfields?
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Texas Minor Bases

Post by Victory103 »

Yes, and the ones around Pensacola/Whiting, FL as well.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Victory103 wrote: 26 Apr 2020, 23:45 Yes, and the ones around Pensacola/Whiting, FL as well.
I’ve done a few of those in the past, and some are already in the download library or in Matrix. I should add that I’m not proposing to do traffic files for these airfields; I’m not familiar enough with local operations to put together anything resembling reality.

I’ll put together an upload in the next few days.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

I've just had another look at the Pensacola/Whiting area. The Matrix installation covers a couple of the active NOLFs, and most of the rest are at least included in the stock airfields. There are around 12 that are either still in use or have been so reasonably recently. A few that exist in the sim are now covered with solar panels. It's a fairly big project to take these on, so I'll leave the Florida stuff for now and maybe revisit it in the future. I'll finish the stuff I'm doing in Texas which hopefully will give me the motivation to get on with Finningley!
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Understandable and I can get some use out of the south TX AFCAD updates. I need to look over the paint kit for the NAS Corpus Christi T-6s to get them painted up and in the sim now.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
dummy
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by dummy »

Nice!! are these airfields also useable in FSX? or is it P3D only?
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Other than the dynamic lighting at SEQ and Orange Grove, they should work in FSX. But I haven't tried them. I'm not sure if they're in the hangar yet; I know Greg's busy with other stuff, so it may be a while.
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

Available now. Thanks Tim!
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

You're very welcome, Greg. After my employer's very public announcement yesterday, it looks like I'm going to have a lot more time for this stuff!
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Thanks Tim, testing now and also was not expecting Langley! I was up at NGU testing John's latest models and realized I have not added everything in that region, which is quite busy.

I'm running custom flightplans and will add your OLFs in for the AI to use. I guess I should figure out this repainting thing to get the TAW-4 T-6Bs flying around.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

If you get any issues, Chris, let me know and I’ll do my best to fix them.
dummy
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by dummy »

Hi Tim,

i've downloaded and installed the Texas minor bases but i can't find NAS kingsville.
Is that part of this package or is it a separate file?

Edwin
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

It’s not part of this package, Edwin. There is a John Stinstrom FS9 version that can be recompiled to FSX/P3D in ADE (I suspect some object bgls may need converting in MCX, though). My version is a relatively simple mod of the stock airport to include parking and some MAIW library scenery, but if there’s a demand for it, I’ll upload it to the Hangar. I was going to do so anyway once I’d got Chase Field up and running and release them together, but that really needs to take second place to RAF Finningley which is a much more complex project.
dummy
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by dummy »

Hi Tim,

thanks for the quick reply. I'm defenitly interested in your version as i'm not familiar with converting fs9 scenery to FSX.

Edwin
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Edwin, you'll see I've answered your PM. For the benefit of anyone else interested, I'll share my sceneries when I'm happy that I can put my name to them in public, and in a way that allows me to keep some control over their authenticity and to update them as necessary.

I am an airline pilot, and as I'm sure you're aware, things are somewhat volatile in my industry at the moment so inevitably a good bit of my attention is elsewhere. However, I'll hopefully get a chance to look over Kingsville this week, make any changes I think are needed to get it up to my (mediocre!) standard, and get it submitted for Greg to include in the library in due course.
jetrange
Captain
Captain

Post by jetrange »

So I tested to see if the bases work in FSX, and the outcome is that everything but the runways, taxiways, and aprons appear in the sim. Is there any specific settings that are needed in FSX for the bases to appear, or is the scenery just built to run in P3D?
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

It’s compiled for P3D.
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by petebramley »

Thanks for theses Tim. The only problem I found was at KNGW where there was some autogen intruding on the east of the main apron and on the eastern end of the closed e/w runway.
Pete B
Retired and busier than ever !!
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Thanks Pete. That's actually deliberate! That part of the airfield is derelict, and vegetation is reclaiming it fairly rapidly. What you're seeing is my limited attempt to depict that! It's done using a landclass overlay; if you'd rather it wasn't there I can probably do a version without it.
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by petebramley »

I see what you mean (looked on Google Earth). Thanks for the offer but I have already done my own to fit into my idea of a tidy airfield :-)
Pete B
Retired and busier than ever !!