The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

SBuilder & Win10 2004

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

SBuilder & Win10 2004

Post by TimC340 »

I'm redoing the traffic files for the Luftwaffe Typhoon for John Young. The originals for Nick Black's version are well out of date - lots of places have closed since they were done - so I'm trying to be a bit more representative of current ops. I'm dealing with the FS9 version first, though I don't generally use that sim. One of the destinations I'd like to use is Amari (EEEI) which doesn't exist in FS9 (and probably not in FSX or P3D either, but I haven't looked at them yet).

I've constructed an airfield in ADE, but as there's no stock airfield, there's no stock airfield background to use. I can't get the old SBuilder for FS9 to work in Windows 10 build 2004 - it keeps coming up with missing DLLs (which aren't missing, but the current versions may well be indecipherable to such an old app) which is a right royal pain!

I'm wondering if I can create a geolocked photo background in SBuilderX and convert it in MCX to use in FS9. Has anyone tried this or got a better suggestion?
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel
Version: FS9

Re: SBuilder & Win10 2004

Post by TheFoufure »

Amari already exist for FSX and for FS9.

You can find the FSX version here, and the converted for FS9 at the same place (some posts bellow) : https://militaryaiworks.com/forums/18/14446?hilit=amari
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Ah - excellent! I did look, but obviously not very well... That saves me a job and a lot of frustration. I did find Siauliai, which I'm also going to use. Thanks TFF.
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel

Post by TheFoufure »

For background image in scenery with sbuilder, John Stingstrom have done a tutorial. I've it on one of my HDD.

Send me your email adress and I'll send this tutorial (but it's a 13Mo big file)
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Thanks, but I'm happy with how to do it in SBuilderX 3.15. I don't really want to get into learning FS9 stuff if I can avoid it, and anyway SBuilder 2.05 refuses to run on my computers, which are all Win 10 (or MacOS). If I'm going to spend time learning new stuff, it really needs to be applicable to P3D v4 and v5!

My task just now is to rewrite the traffic files, not provide new scenery. I only looked at doing it because it was an appropriate destination and I hadn't found an AFCAD I could employ. With your help, I now have that airfield and it can be referenced in John's package - and I can use the time saved!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I know that this is slightly off topic to what Tim was asking for.

I did install Sbuilder when 10 first came out, and some people did say that it didn't work, but following the installation doc and the updates religiously I found that it worked fine.
As people know I had to build the OS from scratch last year and Sbuilder was one of those proggies installed but not tested, due to it being on my Programs Drive.
Anyway, what surprised me was that not only did it open up but also loaded a project that I had there.

To be honest it did surprise me but it does prove that it does work under 10. Version 2.05 rev 6.
Steve
JohnTenn
Major
Major

Post by JohnTenn »

I am using SBuilder 2.05 in Windows 10.

Aside from the the odd glitch where the BGL's do not compile at first attempt it works fine.

I would be happy to create airport base textures.

John
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Firebird wrote: 22 Jul 2020, 09:03 I know that this is slightly off topic to what Tim was asking for.

I did install Sbuilder when 10 first came out, and some people did say that it didn't work, but following the installation doc and the updates religiously I found that it worked fine.
As people know I had to build the OS from scratch last year and Sbuilder was one of those proggies installed but not tested, due to it being on my Programs Drive.
Anyway, what surprised me was that not only did it open up but also loaded a project that I had there.

To be honest it did surprise me but it does prove that it does work under 10. Version 2.05 rev 6.
It's frustrating when a program doesn't work, but it's also a distraction. The problem is reported as "Comdlg32.ocx or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid". A bit of research reveals it was a common problem as far back as Windows Vista, and especially once 64-bit versions of Windows became common, but that most of the recommended solutions are simply no longer available or valid. It's also likely that if I fix that, I probably will find more issues to deal with before it'll run. As I say, I really don't want to waste time finding solutions for FS9-related issues. That's a rabbit hole I don't need!
JohnTenn wrote: 22 Jul 2020, 10:07 I am using SBuilder 2.05 in Windows 10.

Aside from the the odd glitch where the BGL's do not compile at first attempt it works fine.

I would be happy to create airport base textures.

John
John, that's very kind of you. I know you recompiled the airport for FS9, but I don't actually know if it needs a background or not yet. As I mention above, I won't spend time on the airfield if your existing version will fit the needs of my traffic file for JY. For FSX/P3D, I'm more prepared to put some time into it as I have the tools (and some of the knowledge) I need. I don't want to leave FS9 users high and dry, but equally I don't want to duplicate effort that's already been expended by others.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

John, I've just had a quick look in FS9. What you and JNDVirtual did between you is perfectly adequate for my traffic-file needs. I won't adjust it or detail it in any way. If you or anyone else wants to, that would be great!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Tim,
Try this. You should find COMDLG32.OCX in your C:\Windows\SysWOW64 folder.

Using run start 'cmd' with administrator permissions. CD to the folder where the item is
Then enter :-
regsvr32 /u Comdlg32.ocx
regsvr32 Comdlg32.ocx

This should ensure that if there is an incorrect registration it will remove it and then re-register it. If it doesn't register it then use the same command with the full path :-
regsvr32 c:\windows\syswow64\comdlg32.OCX

The command is not part of the OS but comes in the Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Common Controls download, I believe.
Steve
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Steve, I found that solution and did try it (including the full path), but it didn't work. Comdlg32.dll (but not .ocx) is present and correct in both System32 and SysWow64, and Visual Basic 6.0 is also present and correct. No worries, it's not necessary for what I want to achieve. If I do need anything for FS9, I'm sure I can call on you retro-software fans to sort it!
hgschnell
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by hgschnell »

My SBuilder9 runs with Win 10 2004 without any problems.
Guenther
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Tim,
I think that you might need this package from MS https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=10019. This is purely the control part.

If this does not work then try https://appuals.com/how-to-fix-the-comd ... n-windows/ for lots of useful info. It seems that it is the 'ocx' file that you need.

I know that you are not desperately trying to fix your sbuilder install this is just in case you want to fix the issue it has. From what I found the file is an activex control used for open/close file dialogs.
Steve
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

I know what you're up to! Trying to seduce me to travel back in time to FS9. I will resist...
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

LOL! Not at all. Just trying to be helpful. I will stop it immediately.
Steve
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

I feel very ungrateful now! Steve, thanks for your help - even if I'd rather not follow it up. Simply speaking, I just don't have time to get sidetracked by an FS9 problem I don't need to solve to do what I need to do for John. The FS9 file for EEEI that TFF came up with is perfectly adequate for what I need, which is simply to verify that the traffic files work as intended.

Once the project is complete, and if there's a demand, I might come back and take another look at this. But I have to say the list of projects is getting longer and the amount of time available to do them isn't! I need to be careful I don't over-promise and under-deliver.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I know what you meant, Tim. Please let me be clear here.
I wasn't thinking about solving an SBuilder problem for you. I was only thinking about solving the Comdlg32 issue. It just so happens that Sbuilder is the only thing you you have come up against it so far.

It maybe that this is the only time that you will come up against this issue. For me I just fix computer issues when they arise.
Steve