The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

Need some help folks

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FS9

Need some help folks

Post by Stewart Pearson »

Currently working on the South American Alberts and doing afcad for SBAF in Brazil.

As usual MS gave us a runway and nothing else. Not a problem have used excludebuilder to get rid of the autogen on the south side of the runway, where all the parking is.

Now find a big hollow in the terrain right where I need to put taxiways and aprons. Now I reckon what I need to do is flatten the pesky area to the altitude of the runway.

Need suggestions for an easy to use utility that'll do the trick.

Cheers

Stew 8)
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

I'm no expert, however, I've been doing some reading at fsdeveloper.com and other similar sites.

I suggest that you do some searching on these sites for the following terms: Dummy Airport Header, Airport Preload and especially look for the names Reggie Fields and Jim Vile.

It seems that a regular flatten does not solve all problems, and that they may in fact may only affect AI a/c that land at a field, but not a/c that spawn at that field because AFCAD etc create flattens for aprons, taxiways etc on a level that is different from what is needed, which may allow depressions and even holes in the ground within airport boundaries.

Instead, it is necessary to create a pre-loaded dummy airport header as a small xml file which is the compiled into a bgl and installed in the scenery/world/scenery folder which supposedly cures all ills.

Unfortunately, I haven't yet found a nice little utility that creates these, so it must be done manually, step by step, and I'm still trying to figure out xml so it's out for me for now, but you might be able to do this.

BTW, it seems that this issue is involved in the unpleasant looking clouds of dust that some AI kick up while taxiing as well as supposedly incurable low areas within some airports along taxi routes.

Ron

Edit: P.S. this info is true for both FS9 and FSX, but FSX SDK has a little tool that is helpful for this, but I don't know if it works for FS9.
KevinJarvis
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by KevinJarvis »

Forgive me if this sound a bit ignorant on my part. But doesn't AFCAD flatten any area where taxiways are laid?
If so, can't an apron with grass textures be laid in the suspect area?
KJ
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Hi Kev,

Okay I took the bull by the horns and tried that. Certainly has flattened the big bump I had and seems to work okay dokey with user aircraft.

Will carry on and test it with AI. I'll let you know.

Many thanks for the suggestion

Cheers

Stew 8)
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
KevinJarvis
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by KevinJarvis »

Stewart,
Glad I could be of assistance.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Cheers,
KJ
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Well Kev, your broken clock has just restarted. Seems to be working okay dokey.

Thanks again

Stew 8)
Stew