The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Object textures

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
awj112
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Object textures

Post by awj112 »

Does anyone know of a cheap (read: free) method of changing a texture color from balck to transparent on an object? I have downloaded several airbases that have Harden Aircraft Shelters with black textures at their entrances. I just want to change the black sections to transparent.
nickblack423
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by nickblack423 »

It depends on which base you are talking about... Do you have any screenshots? If the Hangers do not have an interior texture then you will not see anything anyway.

Nick
"Pain Heals......Chicks Dig Scars.....Glory, Lasts Forever!!!"
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

It may not be that simple. If the modeler did not create solid surfaces on the inside of the HAS, you won't get it to look like you want. IOW just hiding the front surface may only reaveal that there are no "hard" surfaces on the inside of the scenery model. If the modeler is trying to keep frame rates under control, which we should all do when we model stuff, they most like will not have surfaces on the inside of any structure that is not visible from the outside. To do so would waste precious CPU capacity drawing and texturing polygons that are not seen in the first place.

You can try to create an alpha channel for that texture and make it 100% transparent. That would do the trick. You can use DXT3 to do that.

EDIT: looks like Nick beat me to it.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
awj112
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by awj112 »

The base in question is Nörvenich AB from http://www.german-virtual-airforce.de. The images below show what I am talking about.

The inside of the shelters are textured but after seeing them, the textures are no loss. I am really interested in those overhangs on the front of the shelters.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Hmmm.......looks like the author may have meant to make those transparent and something got messed up in the process. I'll hunt down the scenery and see what I can find out.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
awj112
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by awj112 »

Here is a new twist. It appears only the night/ low light textures have this problem. I loaded Norvenich during the day and the HAS fronts are open and there are no black spots.