The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Elevations Question

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
Javier Tapia
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Elevations Question

Post by Javier Tapia »

Hi,
What could be to the solution for aircraft floating over the ground or sinking (even completely) under ground, I tried fixing the altitude on the AFD and in the airports text file of the traffic file. but till now no solution...

any idea?
Not a Member from the MAIW team, but giving my contributions whenever I can :D
ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

Could be the contact points. I used to have a great tutorial and a small app that temporarily posted light points to the lowest point of the gear that was intended to help with the effort to find the exact spec's for the contact points.
When you see an a/c sitting with some of the tires (tyres?) into the ground or just above, that is usually the culprit and is an easy fix if you know how. I don't have the tut and file anymore so you will have to search them out yourself. Sorry!

Ron
Javier Tapia
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Javier Tapia »

The problem is that those same aircraft work well on other airports, and my aircraft works well onthe airport with problems, it only fails with AI aircraft
ronniegj

Post by ronniegj »

In that case it probably is the elevation of the AFCAD and the Mesh or base elevation don't match up. This may help - find it at avsim.

JABBgl

File Description:
BGL elevation editor. Allows to change elevations in basic scenery bgl files in order to avoid AI traffic to "float" over the ground or to "swimm" into it. Version 1.0.2 : Improved airport search.

Filename: jabbgl_134445.zip
License: Freeware, limited distribution
Added: 7th February 2004
Downloads: 10444
Author: Jacky Brouze
Size: 472kb

Ron
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Hi Javier,
Check that height of the afcad you are using ties up with the height of the default scenery. Note that an airfield can have a different height from the runways so double check each. You can use Jabbgl to check the default.

Now if they are the same, are you using some third party scenery? If the answer is yes, then what has been found in the past is that with some third part scenery bgl has not been compiled with the height that the author had intended. I can't remember the reason why this sometimes happens, but I think that it defaults to whole metres/feet rather than being more precise.

If this is the case it might be worth contacting the scenery author direct for a fix, if not you have to use jabbgl to bring the default scenery height to the desired level and have the afcad match that height.

Jabbgl will make a backup of your original scenery bgl, so make sure you keep it safe in case you wish to undo the change.
Steve
Javier Tapia
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Javier Tapia »

Thanks,
i'll use the program and see if i can fix the problem