The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

MAIW, how do you make your scenery?

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
DaleRFU
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: MSFS

MAIW, how do you make your scenery?

Post by DaleRFU »

hi MAIW i was just woundering how you make your scenery? amean do you use a special tool?
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by VulcanDriver »

I use Abacus FSDS, which is payware, to produce the objects. To place the objects to make the scenery, I use EZ Scenery which is also payware. You may also have to use AFCAD or AFX to make the airfield (runways, taxiways parking, etc). And if you don't have a flat area to place the scenery you will need to use a tool to flatten the terrain.

HTH
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
DaleRFU
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by DaleRFU »

ye i have the ez-scenery and its great, i just don't have the FSDS. do you recomend it to produce my own buildings?
USCG76
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Post by USCG76 »

One could also use Gmax and 3DS for building and also instant scenery for placement of objects in both sims Fs9/FSX. Gmax comes free and is on your Fs9 disk.
Capt. Tim H. CAF 440Sq JTFN Wing 17 Arctic FOL NORAD Officer
fishlips

Post by fishlips »

I use FSDS v3.5 and found it to be a buggy little program with tools and functions that could and should be improved upon. You spend a lot time going over the same areas to keep things snapped to scale before you decide to add your textures and join the pieces together to make a solid object.

Rather than moving an object within the three view windows, it would be much easier to use if the object remained stable and the window viewer moved instead. While FSDS is payware, it rates more as freeware to me due to its lack of instructions for new users, bugs that cause CTD and loss of unsaved information and general difficultly in how the program works.
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by BadPvtDan »

FSDS. I find it fine for scenery.
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Me too. Never experienced what Fishlips has, but each PC is different!
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

It's got a learning curve just like Gmax, it's got a few bugs but nothing major and nothing that should keep you from trying it. To each his own, but most of us like using it once we know what we're doing.

Every single new AI model that MAIW has ever released was made using FSDS, so it can't be that bad. But it is more suited to aircraft modeling than scenery modeling.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
nickblack423
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: FS9

Post by nickblack423 »

fishlips wrote:I use FSDS v3.5 and found it to be a buggy little program with tools and functions that could and should be improved upon. You spend a lot time going over the same areas to keep things snapped to scale before you decide to add your textures and join the pieces together to make a solid object.

Rather than moving an object within the three view windows, it would be much easier to use if the object remained stable and the window viewer moved instead. While FSDS is payware, it rates more as freeware to me due to its lack of instructions for new users, bugs that cause CTD and loss of unsaved information and general difficultly in how the program works.
Strange that mate...I have never experienced any massive problems from FSDS that arent explained somehow eventually. Also I didnt have any problem picking it up when I first bought it either. Still we are all different arent we.

Nick
"Pain Heals......Chicks Dig Scars.....Glory, Lasts Forever!!!"
fishlips

Post by fishlips »

Yes Guys we are all different. I guess its because I'm so use to CAD that when I use FSDS its like driving a mini compared to a Rolls Royce.
I just giving my opinion (although coming across a bit strong) after 3 weeks straight of doing scenery modelling.

Everybody that I personally know here in OZ has the same or similar issues with FSDS so it could be a region thing to do with MS?????
Your right though, it is the best available program but it has plenty of room for improvement.
BadPvtDan
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by BadPvtDan »

Especially with LODs.
"The first rule of Zombieland: Cardio. When the zombie outbreak first hit, the first to go, for obvious reasons... were the fatties."
fishlips

Post by fishlips »

Yes Dan, Especially with LODs.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

I can imagine that coming from a real CAD program to FSDS would be a bit of a downer. Driving a Mini sounds about right. :D
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log