The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

best scenery out there

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
lcdtbjbrown
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

best scenery out there

Post by lcdtbjbrown »

Im looking for some good scenery for 2004 what the best to get
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

That really is too big a question to answer here.
Payware/Freeware?
Military/Civvie?
Most complete scenery/Good updates to default?
Continent(s)?
Do you want scenery and then add AI, or do you have AI and want to add scenery?

You really need to sort these questions out in your mind, so that you can find a place to start. I would suggest choosing a starting point strategy and once that's completed building upon this.
Most peoples scenery library is built up over years rather than created in weeks. So once you have a handle on specifics maybe the members will be able to make some suggestions for you.
Steve
Sloeber
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Sloeber »

In the meantime, have a look here:
http://walhalla.mine.nu/fs2004.php

This has a large number of sceneries, good and bad ones though, and you can find some interesting sceneries too.
If you're looking for the hard way, go to AVSim.su, or visit several VATSIM sites, they usually have some sceneries around too.
lcdtbjbrown
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by lcdtbjbrown »

I mean like what do you think is best full stop
GrahamS
Captain
Captain
Version: FSX

Post by GrahamS »

Best for where? Some products are very good but only for specific areas of the World. If we don't know where you want scenery for then no-one can give any opinion as to which producer has the best to offer. :)
Which way is up?
Sloeber
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Sloeber »

A good one that comes to mind : Tolmachevo
You can find it on avsim.ru.
There are some other good freeware sceneries out there, and lately some good russian AI aircraft to fill them too.

Another good one is Boston Logan Intl, bostonv2.1_update.zip at AVSim.

But as stated above, it would really be helpful if you gave a region, and what sort of airports you're interested in.
kungfuman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by kungfuman »

+1 to Sloeber's comments!

In addition to Tolmachevo and Boston, I also like the UK2000 "Xtreme" series. I have the reduced free ones and the demo for Heathrow.

http://www.uk2000scenery.com/free/My_Ho ... Page1.html
tango234
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team
Version: P3D

Post by tango234 »

I agree with what Firebird said at the top. I remeber when I wanted to expand my RAF AI and scenery I got pretty much every ai pack and base I could find and then worked out what worked best for me.
Also, I got several UK2000 demos/free airports when upgrading the area around London, I would recommend getting the extreme demos-the only annoying thing is the big box in the runway but I can manage with that.
Hope this helps.
Tango234

EDIT I suppose from a screenshot point of view a piece of good looking scenery (such as UK2000 (demo or not) or the MAIW ones among others) are a must. Just an afterthought.
james84

Post by james84 »

An excellent freeware scenery, payware quality (in fact, it has been made by a team of payware scenery designers) for FS2004 is Boston Logan by George Grimshaw, available on Avsim. Another nice one is Toronto Pearson, always check on Avsim. There are two versions by different authors, the best should be the one with an older release date, if I'm not wrong.
Anyway, check Sloeber's advice and download any scenery you like!
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

If you're looking for payware quality military scenery that is freeware, take a look over at the Airfield Construction Group's website HERE

They have some outstanding RAF scenery both newer and older that is some of the best stuff around.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log